• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Raynaud's sufferers unite

backpackingmom

Certified Ski Diva
Oh I have it bad. I have pretty bad Rheumatoid Arthritis and I think its related. I often have to take skis off and run into the lodge and put my hands in warm water. I really have not found a remedy when the temps go below 0 here in Montana. Well, except maybe a spiked hot chocolate!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Chaval heated gloves and mittens are a godsend for my Raynauds plagued fingers. Expensive but so wonderful to never have col, painful hands while skiing.

For comfort at home, which also helps my osteo arthritis plagued hand, I have buckwheat filled mittens which I toss in the microwave. Game changer for me.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m a peculiar case. I never had creepy-white hands or feet, but once they got cold they stayed that way for hours. Putting socks on in bed only helped a very little bit. I’m still careful not to let them get too chilled, but it has largely subsided. I have no idea why. Plenty of hot flashes?

For skiing, I’ve used hand and toe warmers, and got hand-me-down heated gloves (Hestras) that fit so well I barely turn them on except on very cold days. Mr. Blizzard has Raynaud’s of the whole body (ha!) and he has heated ski gloves, Hotronics for skiing, and Hotronics for his work boots. We have continuing arguments about the thermostat!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Raynaud’s here too. My daughter as well. I turn a nasty dusky purple color, my daughter turns white....both are symptoms.

What I tried
  • Hestra heated glove liners in mitts did nothing
  • Liner gloves in mitts make it worse
  • Giving up caffeine - no noticeable change
What I do
  • I take Nifedipine from fall until spring
  • Core layering under jacket - wool tank, wool base, wool vest, puffy layering jacket
  • Beanie under my helmet to keep my head warm
  • Boot heaters help the feet significantly
  • Black Diamond Mercury Mitt or Hestra Heli Mitt with hand warmers; ball hands and pull thumbs in on lift. This doesn't work, lol. Still on the hunt for hand success
Next steps.....
Chaval heated mittens on my wishlist. @Abbi i need to look into those buckwheat mitts for home!

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
I've had it since childhood. Someone recently suggested I try the Wim Hof method, which frankly seemed a bit mad. Admittedly I didn't research it all that much, but the idea of ice baths was more than enough to put me off.

newboots

Angel Diva
I've had it since childhood. Someone recently suggested I try the Wim Hof method, which frankly seemed a bit mad. Admittedly I didn't research it all that much, but the idea of ice baths was more than enough to put me off.

Ice baths! Yikes!

newboots

Angel Diva
I learned to warm my hands through self-hypnosis (and a breathing technique would work just as well). Warm them first in a sink, then imagine warming them in a sink. If you do it repeatedly you can warm them up without the warm water. It takes practice.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
I learned to warm my hands through self-hypnosis (and a breathing technique would work just as well). Warm them first in a sink, then imagine warming them in a sink. If you do it repeatedly you can warm them up without the warm water. It takes practice.
I like the self-hypnosis idea. I'm been getting more into mindfulness stuff and meditation recently, so it kinda fits.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna