• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Race Report: HRCA Tune-Up Sprint Tri

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just because I'm sure you ladies have missed my book-length race reports...:becky:

This morning I did the HRCA Tune-Up Sprint Tri. 500 yd pool swim, 12 mile bike course, 5k run. It went pretty well! Overall, I'm happy with my time. It's about the same as last year, I think. My run was a bit slower, but my bike was a bit faster to make up for it. They don't have the official results up online yet, but I finished in 1:29:something. We had absolutely perfect weather. It was a bit cooler this year, but I also started about 45 minutes later, which meant that it was warm enough on the bike course that my feet didn't go numb, but still wasn't blazing hot on the run.

The swim was a big mess, unfortunately. Last year, it was very specific about what lane you were assigned to and at what time. This year was supposed to be the same, but when I got down to the pool, everyone was just standing in a big line. At first they were saying that it was just wait in the line and when you get to the front, you go. Then a few minutes later they walked through and said no, wait...line up by bib number.
rolleyes.gif
So we did, which put us approximately where we should have been for our assigned waves, at least, but I didn't get started until 15 minutes after my assigned time. Anyways...I got up there, got with three guys, and we seeded ourselves according to how fast we thought we'd go. I was 3/4. They started us off every 5 seconds. I got going, and was trying hard not to go out too fast so that I didn't burn myself out and have to breaststroke or something. The guy behind me tapped me and passed after about 4 or 5 lengths, which was fine. All three of the guys were at least a half a length ahead of me at one point. Then all of a sudden, I was caught up. And they were all right in a row, too. I repassed the guy who had passed me, and then spent three or four lengths trying to pass the next guy. By this point, there were about 4 lengths left to go, and I couldn't get around the guy in the lead. I tapped his foot *several* times, and even asked at the wall at least three times to "pass, please" and he wasn't paying any attention. I was irritated. It wasn't that it was slowing me down that annoyed me so much (it probably amounted to maybe 30 seconds or so overall, big deal) but it was that I wasn't able to swim a comfortable, correct stroke since I kept running into the guy in front of me. I felt like I was flailing around.
irked.gif
We all ended up finishing at the same time and running up to transition together, where I got a little snippy and the lead guy apologized and played dumb. Whether he was dumb or not, I'm not sure. It may have been his first tri, but regardless, it was in all the information that if you get tapped on the foot, you're supposed to let the person pass you at the turn. (For the record, I did apologize after the race for getting snippy and explained that it wasn't the delay that made me mad, it was the fact that I couldn't SWIM.)

Anyways...onto transition. We were all on the same rack, and seriously crammed in, but I felt like I had a good transition. My feet were still surprisingly wet considering the long run up to transition, and I don't think I had enough baby powder in my socks, but other than that, it was nice and smooth. I had trouble getting out of transition on the slight hill since I hadn't checked my gearing and it was a bit too hard, but immediately out of transition you go down a nice hill, and I was flying! The bike course was tough, but fun. Most of the first mile is downhill, then two and three are almost entirely uphill, then a few more ups and downs until mile six (two loop course) is a fun, fast downhill with a really fun curve. I felt pretty good about my ride. I didn't crash my borrowed, very expensive bike!
orngbiggrin.gif
My legs felt pretty tired, but I still think I put a good effort out. I got passed a few times, but not by any girls (first time ever!) and no guys on mountain bikes, either! My friend was volunteering and she was at the bike aid station. I was so annoyed because she completely missed me the first time I went through even though I waved at her and yelled her name. So on the second loop, I yelled LOUDLY "Dammit, McDowell, cheer for me!" She did.
winky.gif

I had a pretty good T2, although not as good as T1. I got my shoes off before the dismount line without slowing down or killing myself.
orngtongue.gif
And then out on the run. Which was really, really hard. My legs just felt dead. And more so than the typical bike to run dead. Which is weird, since I didn't do anything yesterday, and only swam on Thursday. I wouldn't think they'd still be THAT dead from Wednesday morning's track workout!
headscratch.gif
The run course is tough. The first half mile is downhill, then it flattens out and then there's a slow gradual uphill to the turnaround. It really really sucks that the last half mile is uphill. I was kind of hoping to be close to 9 minute pace for the run, but it wasn't happening today. I revised that after the first mile to hoping for 9:30, but would be happy to be under 10.
redface.gif
My Garmin says 9:34, but the unofficial results I saw had me at 9:22. Not bad, but not great, considering that's the same pace I ran the Bolder Boulder at, and that's double the distance.

So, it was a good race, although not fantastic. It was kind of weird, I felt really alone for most of the race. There just wasn't as much traffic out on the course as there typically is. Last year, I ran with another girl for about 1/2 of the 5k, which was nice. Even though we didn't really talk, it was good to have the silent company, kwim? The race just seemed much more spread out this year. Oh, well!

Next up for me is the Danskin/SheRox Women's tri at the end of the month, with Robyn and ShannonD!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
nice RR itri! I bet people thought there was a pro in their midst when they saw that bike on the rack! LOL I've never done a race with a pool swim so I can just imagine how aggravating that would be.

Sounds like you had a great day, and a big congrats to you!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! It sounds like a pretty good outing for your first tri of the season.

I've had a male mtb racer tell me that he never has any trouble with female racers allowing him to pass on a course, but often has trouble with men not allowing him to pass, even when they are markedly slower. Sounds like that might carry over to the pool too.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh...I always hated the pool swim races just because of that crap. It's pretty much impossible to go your own pace - you're either going too fast in attempt to pass people or too slow if you get caught behind them. 500yds is over so fast though, it probably doesn't even matter in the big scheme of things. I've never really understood why race designers even bother with swims that short - you're out of the pool in 10 minutes!! I always felt the only function of the swim in those short sprints is to get you wet so you're soggy on your bike. :D

How was the super-cool bike?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna