• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quick question - wetsuits

Jenny

Angel Diva
Covid basement cleaning revealed we still have two short wetsuits that are years old. They were barely used, but still look good. I was smaller then, so did NOT try it on because who needs that, but is there anything I should check before maybe trying to sell them? Does anyone even buy old ones or would it just be more trouble than it’s worth to even bother? Perfectly willing to donate them, just want to continue the purge.

Jilly

Staff member
Like any garment check, for seam intact, no holes anywhere, zippers's work. Put them out on what ever sale site you've used and see what happens.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny how many years old? They maybe functional or they may be junk

The neoprene cells shrink up when stored and can loose elasticity. Any wetsuit stored for a period of time will be stiff. If you want to see what shape the neoprene really is in I suggest you soak the wetsuits (in the tub) so they are completely wet, then let them dry. They should be a bit more flexible after the soaking.

Depending on how old and how they were stored they may still be functional to someone. Neoprene can wear out and start to leak even if it appears to be solid. Depending on the intended use they may still serve a purpose. Someone may pay 15-25$ (west coast prices) for a used spring wetsuit that was in good condition depending on brand. They are not that expensive new.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny how many years old? They maybe functional or they may be junk

The neoprene cells shrink up when stored and can loose elasticity. Any wetsuit stored for a period of time will be stiff. If you want to see what shape the neoprene really is in I suggest you soak the wetsuits (in the tub) so they are completely wet, then let them dry. They should be a bit more flexible after the soaking.

Depending on how old and how they were stored they may still be functional to someone. Neoprene can wear out and start to leak even if it appears to be solid. Depending on the intended use they may still serve a purpose. Someone may pay 15-25$ (west coast prices) for a used spring wetsuit that was in good condition depending on brand. They are not that expensive new.
Thanks - that’s what I needed to know. They are easily 15-20 years old and have been hanging up. So, they look fine, but for all I know they are stuck to the hangers!

And I’m sure they’re not a name brand - we Bought them years ago when we thought windsurfing would be fun, but we never really did it that much anyway, so they ended up barely used and put away pretty quick. I'll try wetting them down and see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly