• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quick question, liquid glide wax

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are skiing tomorrow and it will be cold and snowy (eastern PA). All our skis are freshly waxed, I assume the tech used an all temp wax because I didn't specify.

I put on liquid Swix F4 because of the snow and temps tomorrow. I don't wax our skis but figured, how hard can it be? Put it on, waited 15 mins, buffed it with the felt pad provided, but I feel like it needs to be buffed more. Or maybe I buffed it too much and some of it is gone...

All the videos on youtube show a light buff... Is buffing a liquid different than a hot wax? I remember my dad hot waxing our skis and buffing them to almost shine, saying 'the snow will do the final buff for us'. True? Do I keep buffing this liquid wax in until it shines? Do I need something besides the felt pad?

Thanks for your help!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is buffing a liquid different than a hot wax? I remember my dad hot waxing our skis and buffing them to almost shine, saying 'the snow will do the final buff for us'. True?
You will be fine. You won't notice any difference unless you are racing.

I have found that F4 is good to about 10ºF (specified for 15ºF - 50ºF, but that's the "optimal" range). At lower temperatures, having that extra, unbuffed layer will help glide for about 10 miles, so the excess wax clogging up the structure is actually to your advantage, especially on cold and fresh snow.

Enjoy!

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! Can it be applies in the cold? Do the skis have to be warmed up first? I will dry and wipe off surface dirt before applying.... :smile:

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, you can apply it when it's cold. The buffing produces the heat needed. It might take more elbow grease, and won't go in as deep as when warm. (Someone once mentioned here that you need to look like a "mad chicken" to be buffing correctly. :smile: ) Also, not really necessary to wait for the wax to dry completely.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Buffing a hot wax job merely smooths out any inconsistencies in the wax job. Buffing a liquid or paste wax should heat it up enough to help it minimally penetrate the base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna