• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question on Etiquette and Resort Personality

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Oh my, I wouldn't worry about that at all..... Just be aware of your surroundings at all times. That goes for any level of skier. I'm always watching what's going on around me and I've been skiing decades.
Thanks for that! I love all the validation I am getting here! Awareness of one’s surroundings is a general good practice for sure in all aspects of life. :smile: As I age generally I have learned to be more aware but I wonder if I am treated differently in some places so am not always sure if this oddity has transferred to the hill.
The ski hill piece is ?maybe? unique because I have been to a few hills since I started skiing again and some have a slightly different flavor. It has been so long since I have been on skis on a mountain and my sense of my place in the physical space around me has changed in the last decade or two so sometimes I just don’t know what is “normal” like I used to. Is it a ski culture thing or a me thing or a Whistler thing or is it that nobody knows how to move through the world anymore or is it a combination? I am good at overthinking too!
Whistler was odd since the in-village vibe was different from anything I have experienced anywhere beyond an airport or our neighborhood grocery store at Thanksgiving. Many times myself or others I was with had to step out of the way or be walked into by someone on the street or in an aisle at the store. There wasn’t much actual density so that always seemed weird. I figure some of the hustle-bustle attitude maybe transferred to the hill as well as someone earlier mentioned.
Since there are so many tourists mixing in with dedicated locals I imagine there is that tension whereas at a more laid back local mountain you can get a sense of the personality of the place before and after a large influx of new people.

Reactions: AJM

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple of my own thoughts. I am often the only person, with a student, stopped to the side of a wide run, and still people come dangerously close when passing us. I have come to believe that it is the old adage of we go where we look. In other words, if I am skiing downhill and visually focused on the object I need to avoid, I will actually be drawn to it. This may sound familiar from bicycling. If I look at the post in the bike path I wish to avoid, I will likely hit it, while I need to actually look at the wide empty space where I hope to end up. The problem for us skiers and snowboarders is that the object is not stationary, so we have to keep looking at it to react to an unexpected move. Unlike cars on the interstates where we assume they will use a turn signal before pulling out in front of us when we pass.

Also, I suspect that big city people ski like they drive. Tight and cozy with those around them. Not their fault, but when space is shared, we learn to be comfortable with less personal space. Just a theory, but I see it on other aspects of daily living.

Finally, in terms of where to ski on the slopes, you are spot on about picking a lane and staying in it while skiing. As to which side or middle, I find that it depends really. I always coach my students to leave a wide enough slot on the sides for other to pass, as fast skiers often like to ski the sides and have nowhere to go when passing on the edge. The middle is often good for my slower students as it gives passers two options on each side. When I switch lanes or pass someone, I always look uphill as I do not want to get hit from behind. Who cares if I have the right of way, I do not want to get hurt in the first place.

It is also worth noting that in some resorts, the edges are the most dangerous, especially early season. Kids and adults that like to jump, often jump back onto the run from the sides, without looking first. Granted, they are 100 per cent at fault, but why even risk it.

I have also noticed that faster skiers tend to come in batches, even if they are not skiing together. It is worth it to pull over if at all in doubt about their skills, or lack of skills. This is where being good at movement analysis is a bonus and worth pursuing even for non instructors. I can quickly spot likely out of control people.

In 22 seasons I have only had two collisions of note. Both with my own students and I was hit from behind both times. They were the ones I was not watching out for as much. We can't avoid all risk, but constant reassessment of the people, and snow conditions, can minimize those risks.
Completely agree, re looking where you want to ski, as opposed to where you don't. It's probably relevant for most balance sports, definitely including mountain biking. Your head is heavy, and how you position it affects your weighting and balance. I always mention that to my ski students.

Interesting observation about city drivers/skiers. I've made a mental note to pay closer attention to that in future!

And last year, my 8th season instructing, I was hit from behind by the student in my class I least expected to do it. A broken wrist and compressed spinal disc effectively ended my season, but prior to that, I've always managed to avoid collisions during both work and my free time, by keeping my eyes open and skiing evasively when it got crowded. Hard to do while corralling a group of 10 that has managed to spread itself out, some of them behind, others in front. Previously the only skier I've legitimately needed to fear on the mountain was myself!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy to say I am a QUEEN at side slipping and often use that skill to get me through less than desirable conditions. Hubby and I were skiing a very steep face late last season and the top few metres were icy death cookies (off a cat track so the groomer debris had frozen solid with it being Spring) before it smoothed out into corn, I side slipped through the icy bit and viola !!
I wonder whether NZ skifields and conditions encourage development of that skill in general - there's definitely a lot of merit to a good sideslip in narrow spaces when your choice is rocks or ice!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We practiced side-slipping in my Taos clinic group this year. It was hard to keep the skis going downhill in a straight line in a prolonged slip, without sliding to the front or back. The video @marzNC posted shows it well and she explains it saying she's centered and balanced on her skis.

Before the clinic, I'd side slip for only short way before digging in my edges. This worked but reviewing the skill in the clinic gave me a fresh appreciation for it.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We practiced side-slipping in my Taos clinic group this year. It was hard to keep the skis going downhill in a straight line in a prolonged slip, without sliding to the front or back. The video @marzNC posted shows it well and she explains it saying she's centered and balanced on her skis.

Before the clinic, I'd side slip for only short way before digging in my edges. This worked but reviewing the skill in the clinic gave me a fresh appreciation for it.
We did the exact same thing !

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Oh my, I wouldn't worry about that at all..... Just be aware of your surroundings at all times. That goes for any level of skier. I'm always watching what's going on around me and I've been skiing decades.
Completely agree, re looking where you want to ski, as opposed to where you don't. It's probably relevant for most balance sports, definitely including mountain biking. Your head is heavy, and how you position it affects your weighting and balance. I always mention that to my ski students.

Interesting observation about city drivers/skiers. I've made a mental note to pay closer attention to that in future!

And last year, my 8th season instructing, I was hit from behind by the student in my class I least expected to do it. A broken wrist and compressed spinal disc effectively ended my season, but prior to that, I've always managed to avoid collisions during both work and my free time, by keeping my eyes open and skiing evasively when it got crowded. Hard to do while corralling a group of 10 that has managed to spread itself out, some of them behind, others in front. Previously the only skier I've legitimately needed to fear on the mountain was myself!
I am sorry for having to lose that ski time. :(

I believe it was in The Art of Racing in the Rain where the line went something like, “The car goes where your eyes go.” Sounds like this can be both good and bad. In the case of your class (and the rest of use in classes) it sounds like you are limited then by only having only two eyes and at least 10 directions to focus on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna