• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question about Snow in Colorado?

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas, :help:
I am planning a trip to ski in Colorado this year instead of Utah. What is the snow like in Colorado, more specifically Vail, Beavercreek, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Copper?

My reason for asking is because I have read a few threads on this board where the snow has been referred to as icy, bullet proof, hard and skied off. I have skied in Utah and heard the same thing while skiing out there and I always say there is no such thing as ice in Utah. The snow in Park City stays soft all day. I have never skied on anything in Utah that even gets firm let alone icy. I think we eastern Divas have a different idea about what icy really is.

To all of you that ski in the EAST and have skied in both Utah and Colorado can you please tell me what the snow is like in Colorado? :help: If the snow really is better in Utah let me know. I do not want to go to Colorado and ski on snow like we get here in the East.

Thank You,
skigirl :ski:

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More like Utah than the east coast. Weather conditions will play a large factor in your experience, and months ahead of time you cannot accurately gauge the weather.

You'll have a wonderful vacation, let go of any anxiety and just look forward to a great trip. On any day, there are places you can go for softer snow. Ski off the beaten path and you'll find better snow.

All the resorts you mentioned have free guiding, so take an hour or two to ski with a guide who may show you some places you wouldn't ordinarily find.

Jilly

Staff member
I've found that westerners have a different preception of ice. :nono: Ice is blue in colour and you can see the grass through it. White doesn't count as ice, its hardpack snow (or eastern powder!!):D

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am no stranger to ice and I have never seen anything like it in Colorado. At the worst of times I have arrived in Vail when they had not had measurable snow in 30 days, and the groomers were firm, but still dry and perfectly skiable.

Colorado may not get snow in Utah's quantities, but it is as good quality as you will get anywhere.

Plus, the weather is beautiful. I love the 'desert' weather pattern in Colorado and Utah where it comes in, dumps for a couple of days max then clears off again.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I HAVE encountered ice in Colorado. The beautiful thing is that as an eastern skier, you won't think twice about charging right through it while everyone else is standing around trying to figure out what to do.

Nonetheless, that's not the usual state. You're more likely to encounter wonderful powder, much like you've seen in Utah. :snow:

Don't obsess about it. Just enjoy. You'll have a great time.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I need to move to Utah.

:Cry:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
. I do not want to go to Colorado and ski on snow like we get here in the East.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't worry. You are perfectly safe, unless there is some freak weather event.

We skied at Whistler a few years ago: the worst snow year W/B has ever had ... I think it rained a couple of weeks in January. We had to download to get to the bottom, although there was one run open to the bottom, consisting of manmade snow mixed with snow that they had heli'd in from other places.

Our friends from the East couldn't figure out what everyone was complaining about. ;)

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks

Hi All,
Thank You. I really did not think that the snow in Colorado could be anything like what we get here in the east but I thought I would ask after reading a post that described a trail as Bullet Proof in Keystone. I also saw a few other posts where the snow was described as hard, skied off and icy. I have gotten on lifts many times in Park City and had people say this is horrible snow, it's icy and hard and I just look and them and say where?? :ROTF:
I have never skied on anything in Park City that even feels close to hard or icy! :yahoo: My idea of icy or bullet proof means go back to the lodge and find a pair of Ice Skates!! :laughter:

We just thought we would try Colorado this year for a change because we have done Park City 6 times but I have not booked anything yet so if the snow is better in Utah I'll go back there. :snow:

Thanks,
skigirl

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The truth is that snow can get icy, skied off etc etc etc anywhere you go, it just depends on old man winter and where he goes off at any particular time. Colorado has had a couple tough years in the recent past, but even then they have not been consistently bad. You can either wait and watch weather patterns, or just go for it. Colorado will definately have some challenging terrain either way and some great views. Like we always used to tell our clients, " you won't know, if you don't go"

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Whine factor

Because we can be picky, the locals in CO and UT are likely high on the whine factor on the forums. Don't let it scare you away from a CO adventure. My Eastern friends say we are the biggest 'whiners'.

Last year was a HORRIBLE ski year in Utah---the worst in at least a decade. I whined, but it was my son who said I needed to adjust my attitude and accept it for what was (icy tundra, slushy snow cones) and deal with it. I did, and had fun.

We get too caught up in expecting that perfect day. We can't control the weather or the conditions or the growing crowds---but I am working to accept and embrace what is and enjoy the experience regardless of conditions. With global warming and changing weather patterns, we must realign our ski expectations no matter where we ski.

abc

Banned
Because we can be picky, the locals in CO and UT are likely high on the whine factor on the forums.

Different standards. Just like when a northeast skier say "powder", he means heavy, mud like slush!!!

Because we can be picky, the locals in CO and UT are likely high on the whine factor on the forums.

Wow! I highly disagree! I think any day with skis on .....on a beautiful mountain.....with gorgeous views....who cares about the snow conditions! Just ski what God gives ya'! :thumbsup:

No whining here! :D (and that's from a NATIVE Coloradan!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna