• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question about ski size

Katiebishop17

Diva in Training
Hello,

I'm sorry my first post in this forum is a purchasing question. I started skiing for the first time this winter and have fallen totally in love with it. Between December and March, I had 10 days on the hill. In order to grow faster I'm looking at purchasing some skis. (Yes, I'm buying boots and working with a bootfitter!)
After reading almost every post on this forum, I've selected the Dynastar Neva Xpress 78. I obviously won't be demoing these, but I've found an amazing deal and would like to jump on them. I also considered the Rossignol Temptation 78 or 80 but the deal on the Dynastars is very good. However, I'm torn over what size to get. The Dynastars are available in 164 or 170.

About me: I'm a moderately athletic 36, 5'10, 155lbs. I've had two lessons so far and will be taking more. I'm carving about 80% of my time on the blue runs, and starting on the black. I live in MN and will be skiing most of the time here , so mostly hardpack/groomers, although I have family in Denver and hope to start skiing out there - would probably rent skis there though. I've been skiing rental skis that are 160.

They Dynastar has some rocker, but I can't get a handle on whether I should get the 164 or 170? Or any other skis I should be looking at? I want something that will grow with me for a few years.

Thanks very much for any insight or advice!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd lean toward the 170 if you want them to be something you can grow with and ski for several seasons. Just know that they will feel long at first until you get used to the extra length. 164 is rather short for someone of your stats, and I'm afraid you'd outski it shortly.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I second the 170 recommendation. I'm a good deal shorter, but somewhat heavier and around 170 is my sweet spot. I definitely think it would be good for you! Enjoy!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have tried this ski and think it would be a good choice for you - and agree with above that 170 is the better length.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
170, but if you skied a much shorter skis before I would get a lesson for the first or second time you are on your new skis.Don't leave it till you pick up any bad habits.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna