• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question about binding adjustments when buying used skis

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Forgive my ignorance. I have only purchased new flat skis as an adult and my dad did all of my tuning/adjusting when I was a kid.

I'm looking at (stalking) a pair of used skis online. Currently they have Marker Squire bindings set for a BSL of 266. My current boots are a 285. If I purchased these, am I correct in assuming I would need to remount the bindings? How big of a deal is that?

Thank you!

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, they would need to remounted. Take them to a ski shop, don't do it yourself unless you know about forward pressure. It's not just the DIN setting and the spacing between toe and heel. Also most shops have the template to do this fast. The old holes will need to be plugged too. Not sure what a shop would charge but I think our local is in the $20-25 range.

newboots

Angel Diva
What @Jilly said.

It's reasonably simple. Bring your boots (or at least one) when you bring the skis to get adjusted/remounted! Necessary.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Is there a certain age past which the shops won’t touch the skis or bindings to service them? I have heard this can happen but I don’t know the age or year.

newboots

Angel Diva
Is there a certain age past which the shops won’t touch the skis or bindings to service them? I have heard this can happen but I don’t know the age or year.

Yes, but it differs from one binding to another. The manufacturers "indemnify" bindings when they are adequate to keep us safe. At a certain age, they won't indemnify them any more, so certified ski mechanics are not supposed to service them. However, if they are in good enough shape, the mechanic can use discretion. There are liability issues.

Soujan

Angel Diva
Took my 2012 Nordica Infinites to REI last week for a tune and binding check since I haven't been on them in a few years. The bindings were no longer on the indemnify list and they could not perform the test.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna