• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Push Carts

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've started looking into push carts for walking the golf course. What features have you found to be important? Which ones are less so?

I see features such as a compartment for tees and think "why? the bag has that". And then I see women pushing carts with umbrellas to give them a break from the sun and think "ohhhh, yeah". One woman recommended I pay particular attention to the mechanism for holding a score card. She said some plastic ones don't hold well and cards get blown off.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Don't remember the shopping process but I ended up with the Bag Boy M300. I see there are some on eBay. The main feature that was important was overall size and weight. Didn't want to have to struggle to get it in/out of the car. I had a Ford Taurus Wagon then, not a minivan or SUV.

For 9 holes, I much prefer to walk. Much simpler than having to figure out where to park the cart, and then walk back and forth from that point.

altagirl

Staff member
I have a Rovic by ClicGear which I adore. I will say the paper card holder isn't fantastuc but I always keep score in an app on my phone which mounts on the cart. It's easy to push highly maneuverable and very intuitive. The small folded size is easy to handle in a smaller car. And they make every attachment you can think of. I did get an umbrella holder. My friend has the seat attachment which I've never wished for personally but she loves.

I'd say my favorite things are the small folded size and the know on top for one handed steering. That's genius.

Attachments

• 20210810_175135.jpg
    20210810_175135.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 5

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I LOVE the umbrella holder on my cart. Some golf buddies have bought umbrella holders to attach to their cart but most of them seem flimsy and prone to falling over compared to mine, which is totally solid. Wish I could say what specifics to look for, but I picked my cart up for $10 at a flea market and didn't even realize for a year that it had an umbrella holder. A total life saver when it's hot. (And not bad if it happens to rain!)

altagirl

Staff member
For 9 holes, I much prefer to walk. Much simpler than having to figure out where to park the cart, and then walk back and forth from that point.
Generally speaking I agree with this and prefer walking but some courses are just NOT made to walk. I either look it up online or ride the first time at a new course. We have a few that are extremely hilly and spread or where you could be delaying play with the time it takes to walk from one hole to another.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are a couple of executive courses near me where I plan to walk when I play 9 holes, maybe 18 if it's not hot or (please no!) smoky.

At most courses, I plan to ride the first time to learn the layout.

When I played years ago, I wasn't hitting long distances and yeah, it seemed as if I walked as much to and from the cart as I would have just walking down the fairway!

kiki

Angel Diva
I always use the push cart. Dealbreakers for me are
1. Solid umbrella holder
2. Good brake
3. Cupholder
4. Folds up in a way to fit on my trunk with my bag of golf clubs

nice to haves are:
5. a good compartment on top to tuck your snack in if you have to put it down to shoot (so the crows don’t get it) and to stick misc items in
6. A seat attachment, on a 4-5 hour round if you are tired for whatever reason it makes a world of difference

definitely important to get something sturdy that won’t tip over in the wind etc

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
I tested out several carts a few years ago and found the 4 wheel carts to be much easier to manage than the 3 wheel. We now have 2 Bag Boy 4 wheel carts that are fairly lightweight. Weight is important in getting it in and out of the car. These bags do fold up easily, they are not small, but we do fit the 2 carts and 2 full bags in the back of our mini SUV. The only drawback is that we cannot take them on vacation; we just run out of space in the car.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been watching the local market for used carts for a while. That has convinced me I should probably focus on new carts. I don't know enough about how they operate to ensure I'm not buying someone else's headache. The ones that seemed most like what I would want are selling for $75 and up. And some of those are models that came out 10-15 years ago. All it takes is one wheel needing replacement or having to order and ship an umbrella holder and I could be up in the cost range of a new cart.

I've also talked with golfers I have played with about their carts. And read lots of reviews. If the inventory situation improves, I should be able to get what I want before next season. If not, I can continue riding or renting until it does.

Maybe I'll luck out and find a sweet deal over the holidays.

altagirl

Staff member
I tested out several carts a few years ago and found the 4 wheel carts to be much easier to manage than the 3 wheel. We now have 2 Bag Boy 4 wheel carts that are fairly lightweight. Weight is important in getting it in and out of the car. These bags do fold up easily, they are not small, but we do fit the 2 carts and 2 full bags in the back of our mini SUV. The only drawback is that we cannot take them on vacation; we just run out of space in the car.

That's interesting - my friend and I both have ClicGear carts - she has the 4 wheel version and I have the 3 wheel version. Hers is more expensive and I figured I was just being cheap (though not really with the price tag on any of these) - but we pushed each others carts around a bit and honestly, I like my 3 wheel version a lot better - but really they just have different strengths. The 3 wheel version is much more maneuverable to get through tricky spots or rotate around and the 4 wheel version is easier to effortlessly keep in a straight line one handed.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I always use the push cart. Dealbreakers for me are
1. Solid umbrella holder
2. Good brake
3. Cupholder
4. Folds up in a way to fit on my trunk with my bag of golf clubs

nice to haves are:
5. a good compartment on top to tuck your snack in if you have to put it down to shoot (so the crows don’t get it) and to stick misc items in
6. A seat attachment, on a 4-5 hour round if you are tired for whatever reason it makes a world of difference

definitely important to get something sturdy that won’t tip over in the wind etc
Agree with 1-4, would also add umbrella holder and handle with adjustable positions (I lust after a friend's cart that allows the handle/card platform to be in a horizontal position, providing a "table", which is useful).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I thought I remembered a push cart thread! Any updates from anyone, since it’s been a couple of years?

I’ve been eyeing the Clicgear model 4, it’s a 3 wheel cart. One of the women in the golf class has one and loves it. She’s brought it to the little 9 hole course we’ve met up at and I was very jealous on a hot and humid day when I had my bag on my sweaty back walking uphill while she effortlessly pushed hers around! :rolleyes: During lessons on course we drive carts, but I am hoping to get out to more small courses around me this summer so getting a push cart seems like a good idea.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I thought I remembered a push cart thread! Any updates from anyone, since it’s been a couple of years?

I’ve been eyeing the Clicgear model 4, it’s a 3 wheel cart. One of the women in the golf class has one and loves it. She’s brought it to the little 9 hole course we’ve met up at and I was very jealous on a hot and humid day when I had my bag on my sweaty back walking uphill while she effortlessly pushed hers around! :rolleyes: During lessons on course we drive carts, but I am hoping to get out to more small courses around me this summer so getting a push cart seems like a good idea.
My women's Wed nite league plays a 9-hole muni course, and I always walk it (unless weather conditions are severe), but really couldn't do it without a push cart, so having the cart basically makes it possible for me to get lots more exercise than I would without one. I also think picking up and putting down a heavy bag is just inviting an eventual shoulder injury. Bite the bullet -- get the pushcart, and find one you like, since you'll be using it a lot! And get the drink and umbrella holders -- you'll use them, too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My women's Wed nite league plays a 9-hole muni course, and I always walk it (unless weather conditions are severe), but really couldn't do it without a push cart, so having the cart basically makes it possible for me to get lots more exercise than I would without one. I also think picking up and putting down a heavy bag is just inviting an eventual shoulder injury. Bite the bullet -- get the pushcart, and find one you like, since you'll be using it a lot! And get the drink and umbrella holders -- you'll use them, too.
Thank you, this is exactly the sort of validation and enablement I came for! :becky:

elemmac

Angel Diva
I have a Sun Mountain 3-wheel cart...after taking a look at their website, I think I have an older version of the V1R (maybe the V1). Love it.

I bought it secondhand, but it was almost brand new from a friend of a friend, for like $100...couldn't pass it up. DH was pretty jealous when we golfed together, and he was lugging around his bag. He ended up finding the exact same cart, slightly more banged up, and missing the umbrella holder, for like $25 at a yard sale! I wouldn't hesitate to look at secondhand...eBay, Facebook, or Craigslist. Lots of people get into the sport for a summer, barely use the gear, then realize it's not for them.

Never going back to carrying a bag...I even switched to a cart-style bag shortly after acquiring the walking cart. I agree with @TNtoTaos take on it...I'm way more inclined to walk a course with it, getting in the extra exercise, and saving the cart fee.

ETA: Procrastination is getting the best of me, and it's not even 9AM! Had to share, because the pink seemed right up your alley...

Ebay: Pink Sun Mountain V1R

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Sun Mountain V1R from Golf Galaxy, currently $289.

I went to the local stores and checked them out in person -- the weight, layout, the feel when pushing them around, and especially how to set them up and collapse them. A couple was there also cart shopping. She and I discussed the pros and cons of each and both purchased the V1R.

It came with cup and umbrella holders. An umbrella cuts the heat way more than I expected.

Get a cart and save your back and shoulder ... and save your energy for your swing.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

I went to the local stores and checked them out in person -- the weight, layout, the feel when pushing them around, and especially how to set them up and collapse them. A couple was there also cart shopping. She and I discussed the pros and cons of each and both purchased the V1R.

It came with cup and umbrella holders. An umbrella cuts the heat way more than I expected.

Get a cart and save your back and shoulder ... and save your energy for your swing.
Also, get the Mylar type of umbrella -- they cut the sun way more than other types of fabric, and you'll use it much more for sun than rain.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Curious if you compared to the Clicgear at the time while shopping as well? And if so, what was the deciding factor for the Sun Mountain that set it apart?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't recall if they had a Clicgear on display.

The one incident I have had was the wind getting under the umbrella and tipping the cart over. It happened only once. I wonder if a 4-wheel is more stable in those situations.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I don't recall if they had a Clicgear on display.

The one incident I have had was the wind getting under the umbrella and tipping the cart over. It happened only once. I wonder if a 4-wheel is more stable in those situations.
I've had this happen to. Don't know if 4-wheel would be more stable. I decided I just have to pay more attention to the wind and lower the umbrella if wind is too strong. I've also had my card (clearly when I neglected to put the brake on) roll gently down the hill and, almost in slow motion, tip over!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965