• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pumping on ski trip

Grapefruit19

Diva in Training
Hello,
I will need to pump breast milk several times during my trip to Killington next month. Any tips or suggestions on how to to it easily, particularly in the middle of the day when I’m not at the Ramshead day care center (which I’m told has a pumping room)? I plan to carry my travel pump and parts with me when I ski so I will be able to pump during lunch/breaks in the lodge. Do you pump in the bathroom or in the open with a nursing cover? What about cleaning pump parts or transporting the milk? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I personally would not have felt comfortable pumping in a lodge, its a very exposed feeling to have that machine hooked up to you. I would also not pump in a bathroom, as it could take up to 15 minutes for a pumping session for me and it would be cramped and uncomfortable. I might consider a family restroom as its larger and more comortable, if one is available, but otherwise I would plan on stopping at the daycare's designated pumping room as it would be much more comfortable (and more comfort/ease = better letdown imo). I would imagine too that the daycare would have a fridge you could store pumped milk in and even a sink to clean parts. FWIW, I usually just skied shorter days when I was still breastfeeding and would plan my day around popping back in to nurse, as I never had a great relationship with my pump anyway.

Good luck!

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not familiar with Killington specifically, but most places have changing room areas within the womens room for racers, and they usually have seats and access to power outlets. I'd call the resort to find out where those are if you are interested. As for cleaning parts, bring a cooler large enough to put all your parts inside, and a gallon-size ziploc for the parts. As long as they are refrigerated, they will stay safe and sanitary between pumpings, just like the milk. Then you can just wash them at home that evening.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IS it possible to just pop back into the daycare and nurse your baby and then head back out on the slopes? Or perhaps pump in the morning, and evening and night At the hotel? and that way you have the bottles If that’s what you need.

I guess it depends on how old baby is and how long the trip is.

Sometimes I would pump in the car as we were driving up to the mountain. And once I did pump in a more private area Of the lodge at the local momma s pop ski area in northern Utah. But it was during the week, and in a secluded area.

Grapefruit19

Diva in Training
Ok so I think I’ve decided that I will just pump at the lodge with my nursing cover, unless I can find a more secluded area. I think I’m more nervous about pumping in front of the friends I will be skiing with than the strangers in the lodge who mostly likely won’t even notice. Wish me luck!

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm having trouble thinking of spots in Killington that are quiet and private. The daycare might be your best bet. The lodge at Bear Mountain, upstairs, can be pretty quiet when it's not a weekend/lunch time. I can't think of a single bathroom I would recommend for this purpose. There's no place to sit except . . . ahem. The lodge at K-1 (Killington Base Lodge) tends to get very crowded and has few or no nooks and crannies. The bar upstairs at Snowshed is very quiet except during busy hours, but if you're there, you might as well go to Ramshead.

Sorry I'm late to the discussion! If you're there already, best of luck!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I second the upstairs bar at Snowshed. That's the quietest spot I can think of, too.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok so I think I’ve decided that I will just pump at the lodge with my nursing cover, unless I can find a more secluded area. I think I’m more nervous about pumping in front of the friends I will be skiing with than the strangers in the lodge who mostly likely won’t even notice. Wish me luck!
I think it's wonderful to see nursing mamas. Your body doing what it's meant to do.

newboots

Angel Diva
I think it's wonderful to see nursing mamas. Your body doing what it's meant to do.

I absolutely do, too. But the lodges at Killington are not terribly hospitable. Plenty of regular folks, but there can be a strong presence or rowdy 20-somethings on their fifth beer +. I would certainly want to be in a quiet corner.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly