• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

PSIA rant

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not usually one for complaining but I need a moment to vent. The new PSIA event calender was posted tonight and once again they have failed to support non-full time instructors. Last year I had to request that a level II prep class be put on a weekend because there were none listed and there was only one level II skiing exam on a weekend in new england. I would have taken my teaching exam last year as well, except that it was scheduled for the same weekend as the ski exam. This year, there is not a single level II teaching exam scheduled for a weekend in PSIA east. As a full time teacher, it is difficult to take days off of work (we only get 3 personal days a year). I understand that ski resorts are less willing to host PSIA events on weekends, but I know at least at my ski area, unless someone is retired, they aren't teaching skiing full time and don't have the luxury of heading up north mid week. Part time instructors shouldn't be asked to take time off of their full time work to pursue additional certifications and knowledge for what is practically a service the instructor is providing to the ski area (for what they pay instructors, a surprisingly little investment for creating new life long skiers and return on investment).
PSIA needs to understand that the vast majority of instructors aren't seeking to become full time professional instructors but are people that work full time jobs and teach because they enjoy introducing people to the sport of skiing (and to take advantage of perks like lift tickets to afford an expensive hobby). Last year PSIA was very accommodating when I pointed out what I needed and they were able to create an event for me. I will send them an email tomorrow and see what happens.

Some other interesting notes from the new schedule: what are "alpine 1st chair" events? I do like that they added some women specific events!!
Also, it looks like the level II skiing exam is now a 1 day thing instead of 2?
Also, I just double checked there are no level II skiing exams on weekends this year nor level III exams.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm always surprised at how much time and money instructors put into the PSIA certification process given how little they make. I looked into instructing last year at my home hill and they require you to work certain shifts, but don't pay you unless you're actually instructing!

I totally get the benefits of it, it's just shocking, because as you say, @marymack , a good instructor can create an awful lot of lifetime skiers.

I also just learned what the hourly pay is for ski patrollers at my new home mtn. and it's significantly less than I currently get paid to sit in a bike shop, swatting flies. Seriously? All that training and the traumatic accidents they have to deal with and the pay is barely above minimum wage?

Oops, sorry Mary, I added a tangential rant!

Jilly

Staff member
Well, that sucks. Many years ago the CSIA made changes just because of this. They realized that their numbers of new instructors or moving up instructors wasn't happening. Part of the problem was accessibility to the courses and the cost. So the L1 is a 3 day course with only a Friday that you need to take off. The L2 course has been split into teaching module and skiing module. Same with the L3, but the exams are usually during the week. Because the slopes are less crowded.

CSIA also offers a lot of their courses at night, under the lights if it's possible. Certainly if you live in the GTA/Barrie/Collingwood, Ottawa or Montreal area it's a plus.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check around with some of the smaller areas. Many get scholarships and don’t schedule these events until later spring. A lot of smaller areas do this so they can get first year instructors certified once the main lessons are over. They will run a level 1 class and if they can get enough interest the examiner will stick around and do upper level certain as well.

Jilly

Staff member
CSIA runs a lot of their courses during school breaks too. After New Years, College break in February and Ontario school break in March. That helps with the younger people.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out of curiosity I just checked the events schedules for the two division my hill is a part of. Only level is offered on weekends for Intermountain and Northern Rocky Mountain has not really posted their schedule yet.

Are there other instructors in the same boat as you? We have in the past gotten the minimum number of participants and asked the division office to create an assessment on dates that work for us. Granted, we have to approach them early on. Would this be possible in your area?

Best of luck to you in seeking your certs.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat I hear you...sometimes I question it myself. The benefits that I use to rationalize it are 1) the personal sense of accomplishment/motivation to keep improving. 2) access to national leaders in the industry for full day clinics (2 day clinics (which includes lift ticket) are $160-200), not bad when resorts are charging 70-110+ for a one day lift ticket! 3) pro-deals and discounts on lift tickets at other ski areas 4) I agree that its a bummer that instructors only get paid when they work, but having certifications puts you higher on the list to get work when there are few lessons and you get a slight pay increase.

@snoWYmonkey : Thats a good idea...though I would be surprised if they would want to hold a level II exam at little Blue Hills...though if its supposed to be teaching beginners/intermediates, I would think we should be ok? I'll have to see if anyone else is interested in putting together a group. I know last year PSIA created a thing where you could have a certain minimum of instructors to create an event but I don't know if that is different for an exam?

Thanks for the suggestions from the others, I have sent an email to PSIA but they haven't responded yet. Based on the current schedule, my best option would be to take Feb. 14th off to head out to Jiminy peak (2.5hours away) for the exam.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna