• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

PSA For Spring Skiing Attire

Tvan

Angel Diva
Wow, that is amazing that you weren’t more seriously injured! Glad you’re ok.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thanks for sharing that, @MissySki ! So glad you’re okay.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t only happen when things dangle from the lift. A few years ago, the chin strap on my husband’s helmet got caught on the foot rest as it was being raised, and he was almost dragged around the top of the lift by his neck. The liftie stopped the lift after everyone started screaming, and it was pretty scary. Luckily, he was okay.

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wow, thanks for sharing that, @MissySki ! So glad you’re okay.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t only happen when things dangle from the lift. A few years ago, the chin strap on my husband’s helmet got caught on the foot rest as it was being raised, and he was almost dragged around the top of the lift by his neck. The liftie stopped the lift after everyone started screaming, and it was pretty scary. Luckily, he was okay.
Holy crap!

MissySki

Angel Diva

Woah that’s really scary!!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG, glad you're okay!! What a scary experience.

newboots

Angel Diva
The picture of your jacket makes it all too clear how dangerous this was! I’m glad you’re okay, and thanks for posting!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yikes!!!! I’m glad you’re okay!

Re: things dangling from the body, even clothing that is part of a regular ski kit has straps that I have seen get caught on lifts while disembarking: stretched out elastic on the bottom of a jacket (usually to cinch around the waist) and glove retention straps, particularly if the strap is not worn, are two that come to mind.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
OMG @MissySki just read this! I had my jacket tied around my waist on Monday..... By Wednesday it had snowed half foot so definitely change in weather. Glad you’re okay but geez that sounds scary.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Very scary, @MissySki.

To add to the coat tied around the waist and the gloves warnings, don't use your ski poles as you get off the lift. I've seen it and been involved many times, as they stand up off the lift someone plants their poles between or under my skis leading to an off balance unload or a crash. Worse is when they've wrapped their pole straps around their wrists so letting go doesn't separate us.
This is such a pet peeve of mine. My little u8s do this, thinking they're saving time, and I remind them that they may be able to manage getting off with pole straps on, but they can easily trip up others.

Worse yet is when they can't unclip their ridiculous leki clips for loading and mess that up or can't then get the bar down because their poles are dangling. I wish I could ban them for littles.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I usually ski with a pack out West, and never take it off when I get on the lift.. :doh:. Needless to say that will change going forward.
That will change for me as well - I always felt if I had a secure ski specific pack it wasn’t that much different than a jacket. Not taking any chances now.

Being on the chair with you and helplessly watching this happen was horrid. So much relief when we all knew you were relatively unscathed - frankly astounding with how horizontal you flew around the corner!

MissySki

Angel Diva
That will change for me as well - I always felt if I had a secure ski specific pack it wasn’t that much different than a jacket. Not taking any chances now.

Being on the chair with you and helplessly watching this happen was horrid. So much relief when we all knew you were relatively unscathed - frankly astounding with how horizontal you flew around the corner!

Ah yes, I think I forgot to mention that two divas and a diva dude witnessed my whole ordeal. I'm really glad I wasn't skiing alone at the time, it's definitely comforting to have friends nearby when something happens to shake you up like this! :grouphug:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I kind of wish someone had had a GoPro to capture what happened. Though I'm equally glad that no one did! I don't have a good sense of where my body was in space the whole time at all outside of how it's been described to me. It's like I was there obviously but my overwhelming focus and fear was so much just on the chair stopping that I didn't have the ability to even fully process what else was happening to me. I guess that was probably a good thing as I didn't have a chance to tense up. That's the only reason I can think of that I wasn't sore beyond the marks on my arm the next day.

Honestly, when I first went to stand up after being released from the chair, I had no idea what to expect and assumed something would hurt or at least be tweaked. Especially with how the patrollers were all standing there very expectantly and asking if I was okay. I remember feeling that they didn't sound like they expected me to say yes and that freaked me out for a second before I got my bearings and was able to kind of scan how my body was feeling overall and respond.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for the reminder, glad you were OK and glad Ski Diva's DH was OK too. I usually ski with an ultralight jacket and layers (yes down to my sports bra if necessary) that I can tie around my waist underneath the zippered jacket for that very reason. I usually do a double knot with the arms and tuck the ends into each other like one does with socks. I do not like to teach with a pack on, and don't always get to take the time to shed a layer at a base lodge, so that is my go to approach for 20 degree mornings that rapidly turn into 60 degree afternoons!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki, that's a crazy story!

Another PSA for skiing in tank tops/shorts is if you crash, it'll be the last time you ski with any exposed skin! Funny story from the weekend--patrol brought a snowboarder down on a sled to the "beach" area where we were having a tailgate. Guy stood up out of sled, in PANTIES, with his entire backside one giant raspberry! Best part of it was the patrollers who brought him down were women and were inspecting his backside :laughter:This was right after a friend we were skiing with told me he'd skied in shorts ONCE and would never do it again because he got "road" rash and it got infected. Snow, especially where man made is in the mix, is nasty!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna