• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Private lesson at Alta? Instructor recommendations?

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
My family and I are going to Utah for the next week, mostly skiing Alta/Snowbird. (Intensely stoked.)

On previous trips, we sent kids to the ski school for a day or two, and I went to the afternoon off-trail workshops for the first time last year and was extremely impressed.
This time, I'm considering taking a semi-private lesson for myself and my 10yr old son. The kid is skiing at least at my level and maybe higher (level 8+ at Alta ski school); he is not on any team but is unusually interested in specifics of ski technique. We love bumps, trees, and things (but in steep bumps my technique is lacking, and I can't do narrow steep chutes).

The cost of a 2 hr shared private lesson would be slightly higher than 1 full day of ski school + 1 2.5 hr off-trail workshop (midweek, the kid has some chance of being alone in his group, and I also ended up skiing one-on-one with an instructor at one of the past workshops -- I think this can happen if it's not a powder day).

My rationale for a private lesson would be that perhaps a good instructor would work more closely on our technique and tell us what mistakes to point out to one another. Would be very useful as we ski together, and there's a lot of "watch me on this slope, tell me what I'm doing wrong". Ski school is great of course but DS is not super social with kids he doesn't know, and he doesn't mind skiing with me. I would also look forward to skiing together some of the Alta terrain which I cannot find by myself :smile:

(He doesn't want to go to ski school with his sister though, so we'd have to send them in on different days! Which actually makes sense though - they both are in level 8 but he is a stronger and more aggressive skier, and they need to work on different issues. In the past, the kids reported that the ski school is way more useful if they are lucky enough to be alone in their group.)

So I'd appreciate instructor recommendations -- any particular names or should I just describe ourselves and ask for a level III instructor? Should I call or stop by the day before?

Also, feel free to tell me that the ski school for him + workshop for me is a better idea after all. Are private lessons really that good? (I think the workshop depends hugely on a particular instructors, I've taken it twice and got a lot of technique tips in one but mostly just skiing some awesome runs in the other.) Thoughts? Thank you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
This time, I'm considering taking a semi-private lesson for myself and my 10yr old son. The kid is skiing at least at my level and maybe higher (level 8+ at Alta ski school);
Ski school is great of course but DS is not super social with kids he doesn't know, and he doesn't mind skiing with me. I would also look forward to skiing together some of the Alta terrain which I cannot find by myself :smile:
So I'd appreciate instructor recommendations -- any particular names or should I just describe ourselves and ask for a level III instructor? Should I call or stop by the day before?
I can give you instructor recommendations. Have been doing semi-private lessons with Arthur Haskell for several years after becoming an advanced skier. My friends has also had Arthur teach her kids (ages 12-16) as they aged out of the Alta Ski School children's program. They were Level 7/8 before working with Arthur. Will send other instructor names via PM. One season Arthur was injured and he gave me a list.

Best to call Alta Ski School ASAP. Start by asking for instructors by name. Definitely note you want a Level 3 instructor. At Alta, there are mostly L3 instructors so it's not a big deal. However, mentioning any PSIA certification level tends to let a ski school scheduler know you are serious about working on technique. The more you tell any ski school when scheduling a lesson, the better. Repeat the same info when you meet the instructor. Be open to accepting another L3 instructor not on your list with equivalent experience. Fair to say that the well known instructors are booked well in advance during mid-season. One of the best set of lessons I had with my ski buddy Bill was with an instructor assigned by Alta Ski School.

Also, feel free to tell me that the ski school for him + workshop for me is a better idea after all. Are private lessons really that good? (I think the workshop depends hugely on a particular instructors, I've taken it twice and got a lot of technique tips in one but mostly just skiing some awesome runs in the other.) Thoughts? Thank you!
The Adult Mountain Workshop is not meant to be anything like a private lessons. It's a chance to ski terrain with an experienced guide who is an instructor. That means if someone asks a technique question, then can get a useful answer. Also those instructors are very good at Movement Analysis so they can easily make sure than no one gets in over their head.

Only way to know a semi-private lesson with you and your son is a fun and effective way to improve technique is to give it a try. I tried it with my daughter when she was Level 6/7 and a tween, and I was about the same ability level. Was not a success for assorted reasons. But mother-daughter interactions at that age are probably different than mother-son. Plus my daughter loved ski school because she's very social.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are private lessons really that good?
Private lessons with very experienced Level 3 instructors (10+ years) or Examiners (20+ years) are pretty amazing. I've worked with at least 15 different instructors of that level at several different resorts in the last 6-7 years. Including more than one at my home hill, Massanutten, in northern Virginia. One or two lessons just starts the process. Over a number of lessons, with appropriate thoughtful practice over a few seasons, it all starts to add up. I don't mean practicing all the time. But often enough on a few key fundamentals identified during a lesson that a new movement gets ingrained on easier terrain so that it holds on more challenging terrain.

I did a private lesson at Massanutten in early January with the resident Examiner. We worked on green and blue terrain (really easy pitch) on my left turn for 90 min. Nothing else. I was finally able to get it consistently enough to really feel the correct movement. Solved an issue that I've been working on for at least three seasons. Or at least now I know exactly when I'm doing it right and when I'm doing it wrong.

Had a semi-private 3-hour lesson with Ric Blevins at Bridger last week. I did 90 min lessons with Ric in 2012 and 2013 as part of trips to Big Sky. His ability to decide very quickly which fundamental to focus on for me and my ski buddy, Bill, is fantastic. While the two Taos Ski Weeks I did this season were very good, working with Ric was well worth it. Note that Bridger's lesson prices are far more reasonable than any destination resort, which was one reason I got a recommendation for a Bridger instructor back in 2012 instead of doing a lesson at Big Sky during that Diva West.

I'm over 60 now. Started doing private or semi-private lessons around age 55. I'm investing time and money for the next few decades. It's been great fun expanding my comfort zone to include more challenging terrain in assorted snow conditions. At the same time, I have more fun on groomers too because there is always something to practice if I'm in the mood. YMMV.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
But often enough on a few key fundamentals identified during a lesson that a new movement gets ingrained on easier terrain so that it holds on more challenging terrain.
As examples of "easier terrain" at Alta, that would be Mambo (wide blue groomer) or Lower Sunspot (easy black) off the Saddle Traverse on the Collins side or Rock N' Roll (blue groomer, short steep headwall towards the end) off Supreme. When I first started finishing my ski day on Lower Rustler (bump field, black), I was mainly practicing extension and absorption by traversing. Then started linking about four turns before stopping to re-group and plan my line for the next 3-4 turns. Eventually became good enough to drop in and ski the entire bump field non-stop at a controlled pace in assorted conditions. Have had a similar progression for Upper Sunspot and Race Course (blacks off the lower High T).

One of the Taos instructors I've had gave me the advice to ski "blue bumps more aggressively." Meaning faster while maintaining good form. Have found that it's helped to develop more confidence picking my line on the fly even on ungroomed terrain with bigger bumps or steeper terrain in general. With RicB, we did a drill related to hand position first on a groomer and then on ungroomed terrain. As he noted, he wasn't doing anything differently on the ungroomed terrain (uneven but not really bumps). He made it look soooo easy. Remember, Bill and I are solid advanced skiers.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just returned from a trip to Utah and took two private lessons at Alta. My first recommendations came last year from @marzNC and were excellent. She recommended Connie, an L3 with many many years of experience. I've also taken lessons with another L3 named Angie, both this year and last winter. She is also excellent and has been particularly helpful with tips for improving technique. I highly recommend them both. Have a great week and hopefully Alta will be getting some snow soon. It was getting a bit firm by the time we left.

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
When I first started finishing my ski day on Lower Rustler (bump field, black), I was mainly practicing extension and absorption by traversing. Then started linking about four turns before stopping to re-group and plan my line for the next 3-4 turns. Eventually became good enough to drop in and ski the entire bump field non-stop at a controlled pace in assorted conditions.
One of the Taos instructors I've had gave me the advice to ski "blue bumps more aggressively." Meaning faster while maintaining good form. Have found that it's helped to develop more confidence picking my line on the fly even on ungroomed terrain with bigger bumps or steeper terrain in general.
Yes, I've been (am still going?) through similar kind of progression -- and skiing bumps faster is what I have to do when chasing my 10 yr old! It's actually good to be forced to be more aggressive :wink: If I stop too often to plan a line, he is like, "why are you taking so long? If you can't turn on that icy bump, why can't you just jump??"
:ski3:

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
I just returned from a trip to Utah and took two private lessons at Alta. My first recommendations came last year from @marzNC and were excellent. She recommended Connie, an L3 with many many years of experience. I've also taken lessons with another L3 named Angie, both this year and last winter. She is also excellent and has been particularly helpful with tips for improving technique. I highly recommend them both. Have a great week and hopefully Alta will be getting some snow soon. It was getting a bit firm by the time we left.
Thank you! No big powder days in the forecast but looks like there would be a few inches of fresh on most days, so can't be too bad. :smile: A bit sad not to be getting 12+ inches but on the other hand driving up the canyon in a lot of snow gets so crazy... we'll be fine with what we get. Thanks for seconding marzNC's recommendations and for another name!

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
As he noted, he wasn't doing anything differently on the ungroomed terrain (uneven but not really bumps).
I know what you mean, years ago I took a lesson at Surgaloaf, ME when there was a lot of deeper chopped-up snow that I was finding really hard to ski, I was thrown around too much. The instructor told me not to do anything different from skiing groomers, just try to maintain the same forward stance and balance... For some reason that was really eye-opening!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know what you mean, years ago I took a lesson at Surgaloaf, ME when there was a lot of deeper chopped-up snow that I was finding really hard to ski, I was thrown around too much. The instructor told me not to do anything different from skiing groomers, just try to maintain the same forward stance and balance... For some reason that was really eye-opening!
What my Taos instructor said in early Feb was related to having a tight core and to really, really avoid bending at the waist when it came to skiing chopped up snow. Stephanie pretty much said that "stance" is the most important aspect to work on in general. Of course, having an idea of what works and making it happen are two different things. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna