• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Powder Skiing Tips

ADKskier

Diva in Training
(if this has already been addressed, I apologize. I'd be grateful if you could direct me to a prior thread...)

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable season.

In just a few days I will be heading to Alta, which has had a very snowy month.

While I know I will have a blast, I want to make sure I get the maximum enjoyment out of my trip - so I'm looking for tips from everyone for skiing (deep) powder and cut-up, tracked-out deep powder. I've had some experience, but never in any snow above my knees.

Can anyone help me out?

For reference, I'm an advanced skiier and plan on skiing mainly ungroomed black trails. I'll be packing my own skis, but will demo powder skis if necessary...

Thanks!!

altagirl

Staff member
Basically, it's the same thing. You just need some momentum to make it work well. So don't be afraid to straightline until you pick up a little speed and then start turning. You'll hear a lot of people telling you to lean back, but that's not good form at all - the only exception being if you're trying to get across something flat and it's REALLY deep. At that point you're not trying to turn, just keep your tips from diving and keep your momentum up and not get stuck. Otherwise, it's the same deal as regular skiing.

What skis are you bringing?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it's new powder, get some fat powder skiis. AND if you are lucky enough to catch an elusive fresh powder day, please use powder cords. You don't want to waste precious time digging and searching for your ski---this week alone I've seen about six skiiers with a lost ski. Powder is elusive and gets tracked out fast, so you might want to get a versatile ski, like Head Sweet Fat Thangs, my daughter loves hers for skiing soft snow, variable terrain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna