• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Powder ski to complement Volkl Kenja?

bumpsbunny

Diva in Training
New here - longtime lurker but first-time poster! Would love if some of you could lend your expertise, as I’ve spent way too many hours combing through reviews without narrowing down my list. I’m looking for a playful-ish, nimble powder ski, but worried that I’m too used to skiing a stiffer ski? Ideally I’d demo, and maybe I'll hold out to see '22 revamps, but part of me is tempted to hop on some of these end-of-season sales…

Background: 5’6”, 110 pounds, technically proficient skier. I ski Whistler every year, with the exception of this season in Utah due to COVID. I’m mostly on ungroomed terrain, and spend 80% of my time in the bumps and trees, with a few laps on the groomers to warm up or get back to the lift - ski fairly aggressively, though I’ll only really be flying on piste if I’m chasing my ski buddies (who can hit upwards of 60mph) or racing for last chair. Since I’m looking to add to a quiver and use this new ski for post-dump days, I probably won’t need to rip it at full speed and hopefully any moguls I’m using it for will be softer.

Current ski: 2020/21 Volkl Kenja 88, 159 cm (shorter length due to my preference for tight terrain and lighter weight). Absolutely love the precision and carving ability of my Kenjas, but looking for something that (1) floats (100-105mm range), (2) doesn’t slice through trees at an alarming rate, and (3) is more playful and slightly less tiring on my 7th hour of skiing variable. My main difficulty is I’m not sure how stiff the new (2019/20-on) Kenjas actually are compared to what I’m looking at, so anyone who has tried the Kendo/Kenja/Mantra line and has a powder ski they like OR has skied any of the below skis, would love your input!

Other skis I’ve skied: Every iteration of the Kenja since 2015, usually on ~169cm, but found them a little unwieldy in the bumps until I got the shorter version with the reduced metal this year. Felt the same way about the Auras and Secrets. Skied the 2019 Santa Ana 93 and even though it supposedly has two sheets of metal, they seemed way lighter than the Volkls. I prefer a more demanding and narrower ski for frontside, but I’d actually like this kind of a feel for a powder ski - I’m just not sure how the new SA104 compares. Skied Blizzard BPs in 2014 and thought these were too soft and just meh.

Weight: I don’t plan on touring, so don’t need ultra-lightweight. I need it not to blow up at speed - but since I only need to bomb it for the occasional run and already have my carving ski, I’ll give up a little bit of stability for playfulness. In addition, I tend to jump/catch air on bumps and in tougher terrain (rather than just plowing through), and am aspiring to add some more grabs/airs off natural features, so would prefer something not too planky.

Current List:

Line Pandora 104 - Heard fantastic things, but would the speed limit be too low/not enough ski for me? Also maybe too light for inbounds use only, and I heard Line skis get beaten up quickly.
Volkl Blaze 106 - Similar concerns to Pandora, minus the quality factor.
Nordica Santa Ana 104 Free - On paper, it seems like I’d like these, but wondering if they sacrifice maneuverability and are too much of a “hard charger.” Then again, I though the old Santa Ana 93s were fairly light/maneuverable.
Fischer Ranger 102 FR - Worried the tails will be too stiff and the ski may be hard to flex for my weight. But is stiffness in bumps not supposed to be tiring if you have ski with a pretty forward stance? I’ve always been confused on this point.
Rossignol BLACKOPS Rallybird (102) - Promising, but I just haven’t heard as much as I’d like about this ski.
Head Kore 99W - Either mind-blowing or awful combo of dead, chattery, and punishing, depending on which review you read, so probably won’t choose this unless someone has a strong opinion about it.
DPS Zelda A106 - Is this too carving-oriented and stiff (but is this even a problem - see above)? Are DPS skis worth the price tag in general?
Blizzard Sheeva 10 - I know Blizzard is a favorite, but I just feel their skis lack that extra “oomph” or aggression.
Sego Big Horn 106 - Kind of a wildcard and the only men’s ski on my list because it comes in a 167 cm, but maybe too freestyle-inspired and I won’t need twin tips unless I magically master some spins/flips.

Someone will probably bring up the Black Crows, but I don’t want a 97 (Camox) or 108 (Atris) and there doesn’t seem to be anything women-specific in between. Also considered Moment Sierras but they're sold out.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think something in that width range will be the next ski I add so not a lot of details I can give. My husband loves his lines (he has sakanas) and they don’t seem to be too beat up after 40 days. Also have 3 pair of DPS in the family none of which were purchased for anything close to list price. If you decide you like the brand there are deals to be had that make them competitive with other brands. Powder7 and skiessentials are two places to keep an eye out, along with Sierra (the old Sierra trading post) but they didn’t have any the other day....

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious why the Salomon QSTs 106 did not make your list? They are my favorite powder ski. I feel like they can hold a decent edge but shine when slashing and schmearing powder in amd out of trees.

I use the mantras for days when I am unsure of where I'll be skiing and it snowed under 7 or 8 inches.

Look forward to hearing which pair you end up on and the eventual review.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a volkl gal and have been thinking about adding the Volkl 100Eight (I ski the 90Eight as my daily driver). A bit wider. Fun in the powder. Super playful (allegedly). Didn't get to play with them this year but my local ski guy promises I will love them.....

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
New here - longtime lurker but first-time poster! Would love if some of you could lend your expertise, as I’ve spent way too many hours combing through reviews without narrowing down my list. I’m looking for a playful-ish, nimble powder ski, but worried that I’m too used to skiing a stiffer ski? Ideally I’d demo, and maybe I'll hold out to see '22 revamps, but part of me is tempted to hop on some of these end-of-season sales…

Background: 5’6”, 110 pounds, technically proficient skier. I ski Whistler every year, with the exception of this season in Utah due to COVID. I’m mostly on ungroomed terrain, and spend 80% of my time in the bumps and trees, with a few laps on the groomers to warm up or get back to the lift - ski fairly aggressively, though I’ll only really be flying on piste if I’m chasing my ski buddies (who can hit upwards of 60mph) or racing for last chair. Since I’m looking to add to a quiver and use this new ski for post-dump days, I probably won’t need to rip it at full speed and hopefully any moguls I’m using it for will be softer.

Current ski: 2020/21 Volkl Kenja 88, 159 cm (shorter length due to my preference for tight terrain and lighter weight). Absolutely love the precision and carving ability of my Kenjas, but looking for something that (1) floats (100-105mm range), (2) doesn’t slice through trees at an alarming rate, and (3) is more playful and slightly less tiring on my 7th hour of skiing variable. My main difficulty is I’m not sure how stiff the new (2019/20-on) Kenjas actually are compared to what I’m looking at, so anyone who has tried the Kendo/Kenja/Mantra line and has a powder ski they like OR has skied any of the below skis, would love your input!

Other skis I’ve skied: Every iteration of the Kenja since 2015, usually on ~169cm, but found them a little unwieldy in the bumps until I got the shorter version with the reduced metal this year. Felt the same way about the Auras and Secrets. Skied the 2019 Santa Ana 93 and even though it supposedly has two sheets of metal, they seemed way lighter than the Volkls. I prefer a more demanding and narrower ski for frontside, but I’d actually like this kind of a feel for a powder ski - I’m just not sure how the new SA104 compares. Skied Blizzard BPs in 2014 and thought these were too soft and just meh.

Weight: I don’t plan on touring, so don’t need ultra-lightweight. I need it not to blow up at speed - but since I only need to bomb it for the occasional run and already have my carving ski, I’ll give up a little bit of stability for playfulness. In addition, I tend to jump/catch air on bumps and in tougher terrain (rather than just plowing through), and am aspiring to add some more grabs/airs off natural features, so would prefer something not too planky.

Current List:

Line Pandora 104 - Heard fantastic things, but would the speed limit be too low/not enough ski for me? Also maybe too light for inbounds use only, and I heard Line skis get beaten up quickly.
Volkl Blaze 106 - Similar concerns to Pandora, minus the quality factor.
Nordica Santa Ana 104 Free - On paper, it seems like I’d like these, but wondering if they sacrifice maneuverability and are too much of a “hard charger.” Then again, I though the old Santa Ana 93s were fairly light/maneuverable.
Fischer Ranger 102 FR - Worried the tails will be too stiff and the ski may be hard to flex for my weight. But is stiffness in bumps not supposed to be tiring if you have ski with a pretty forward stance? I’ve always been confused on this point.
Rossignol BLACKOPS Rallybird (102) - Promising, but I just haven’t heard as much as I’d like about this ski.
Head Kore 99W - Either mind-blowing or awful combo of dead, chattery, and punishing, depending on which review you read, so probably won’t choose this unless someone has a strong opinion about it.
DPS Zelda A106 - Is this too carving-oriented and stiff (but is this even a problem - see above)? Are DPS skis worth the price tag in general?
Blizzard Sheeva 10 - I know Blizzard is a favorite, but I just feel their skis lack that extra “oomph” or aggression.
Sego Big Horn 106 - Kind of a wildcard and the only men’s ski on my list because it comes in a 167 cm, but maybe too freestyle-inspired and I won’t need twin tips unless I magically master some spins/flips.

Someone will probably bring up the Black Crows, but I don’t want a 97 (Camox) or 108 (Atris) and there doesn’t seem to be anything women-specific in between. Also considered Moment Sierras but they're sold out.
I am on my third Kinja, which is from 2020. I also have 100Eight, which I decided to sell. Unless you are knee deep in light powder, Kenja is much more friendly. If the snow is somewhat heavy and stick to skis, 100Eight become super heavy. Talking about tiring legs after even a few hours.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would take the Sheeva off the list based on your preferences. To be fair, I've only skied the Sheeva 9 but I don't feel like it would have the oomph you're looking for especially coming off Kenjas.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snoWYmonkey — I enjoyed the qst 99 when demoing. Would you say the 106 has a similar personality?
I have never tried the 99 so I sadly can not compare. Bought the 106 on a lucky whim. Replaces my Rossi s7 that I skied on since 2012.

bumpsbunny

Diva in Training
Curious why the Salomon QSTs 106 did not make your list? They are my favorite powder ski. I feel like they can hold a decent edge but shine when slashing and schmearing powder in amd out of trees.

I use the mantras for days when I am unsure of where I'll be skiing and it snowed under 7 or 8 inches.

Look forward to hearing which pair you end up on and the eventual review.

I had the QST Stellas on my list originally but read reviews they weren't poppy/lively enough - it's great to know that you didn't feel that way, especially coming from a Volkl. I've looked into them a bit more and put them on the top of my list now. Also looks like they're actually available in 167 on discount :smile:

bumpsbunny

Diva in Training
I would take the Sheeva off the list based on your preferences. To be fair, I've only skied the Sheeva 9 but I don't feel like it would have the oomph you're looking for especially coming off Kenjas.

Thank you! This was what I suspected, and appreciate that I can narrow my list down because SO many women ski/love Blizzard I thought I must be missing something.

bumpsbunny

Diva in Training
I am on my third Kinja, which is from 2020. I also have 100Eight, which I decided to sell. Unless you are knee deep in light powder, Kenja is much more friendly. If the snow is somewhat heavy and stick to skis, 100Eight become super heavy. Talking about tiring legs after even a few hours.

Interesting to hear that about the 100Eight, since I know the Blaze 106 is supposed to replace that model and probably shares some similarities. @BonStarlet - assuming you're thinking of getting the 19/20 model instead of the Blaze?

@SarahXC - thanks for the input on Line and DPS. So far the lowest price on the Zeldas I've found is still $1k, but will keep an eye out. I've also now been distracted by the Yvette since they seem a little more playful, and I'm not sure I really need a 106 (it'll be quite a change from my 88s!).

I'm headed up to Mt. Bach this weekend to catch the last of the skiing, so will also poke around some demo and ski shops to see if they have any in-person discounts.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’d say $1k is pretty steep still. DH got the steal at $549, I paid $679 for mine and DD. Those prices included bindings (mine and DD were demos — mine had been mounted but not skied & hers were gently used — DH were new with attack 13s). There are lots of options though. Someone here said they make a short list of skis they’d be happy with then find the best price which is basically my approach...

Edited to add that gear shopping is fun for me so I definitely spend time searching things out. If it’s not for you I wouldn’t pressure yourself to find the most amazing deal ever... good enough is good enough! Buy, ski and enjoy!

teppaz

Angel Diva
I had the QST Stellas on my list originally but read reviews they weren't poppy/lively enough - it's great to know that you didn't feel that way, especially coming from a Volkl. I've looked into them a bit more and put them on the top of my list now. Also looks like they're actually available in 167 on discount :smile:
I have Kenjas as well as QST 99s, love them both. I do find the QST easygoing, lively and fun. A friend tried the Lumen (women’s version of the QST 99) and the Stella (106) and loved them both. I think she ended up getting the Stella.
I wouldn’t discount Lines if you like the Pandoras. I had Line Prophets for years and they still are in great shape.

bumpsbunny

Diva in Training
As an update, I ended up going for the Faction Prodigy 3.0X - I was split between the Fischer Ranger 102FR and the Salomon QST Stella 106 and Faction wasn't even on my radar, but after a couple more weekends on the slopes this month, I realized I wanted to take my skiing in a new direction and prioritize being able to pop off features and work on rotations. This was a total wild card, but will definitely give my review once I get these skis on (hopefully softer) snow, especially as I've heard the 3.0 is unchanged for next season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly