• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Powder Ski Recs--Savory 7's??

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's it, ladies, it's been day after day of snow here in Utah and I think it's time. Time I jumped on the powder ski bandwagon!

I am leaning toward the Savory 7's because 1) they are highly rated/regarded and very popular here (including the Soul 7) and 2) I understand they are playful and can smear and shmear and are fairly forgiving. So if any of you own these (seems not many on the forum here do??) I'd love feedback.

Any other ideas for an easy to ski powder ski? I really don't care about hard snow performance. I am buying these for soft snow/powder days only. I need a ski that will kind of babysit me and also grow with me as I get better at skiing powder and deep chop. Also, I am 5'5" and weigh about 125 so a super fatty is not totally necessary. I just know that my Sambas are great up until 6 or so inches, then I feel like something surfier would be easier and more fun.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it! I had the Soul 7 for a while; the tips are pretty soft for charging through stiff snow, but everything else will be perfect. You can charge with Sambas.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it! I had the Soul 7 for a while; the tips are pretty soft for charging through stiff snow, but everything else will be perfect. You can charge with Sambas.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. On days with less fresh, I'll ski the Sambas but on days where it's deep and I need to work on my skills there, I'll ski the Savory 7's which hopefully won't kick my butt.

170 I'm assuming? I ski the Sambas in a 166. Unfortunately, Snowbasin only has them in the 162 so I can't demo the 170 :( They DO have the Soul 7 in a 164. Wonder if I should try those instead?? They are NOT an easy ski to find used, particularly this time of year.

OR because I'm still picking my way down the powder and chop, should I go shorter? I'd pay to demo if they had both sizes, because I'd get that money back towards purchase, but that does me no good if I end up wanting the 170. Or I'll just go buy them at the Air Force Base because I'm pretty sure they have them :tongue:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely 170... And I miss the BX! Although when I was an AF brat, I'm not sure they had skis???

BTW, the 164 Soul 7 and the 162 Savory are the same exact ski. Length is a marketing thing. But it skis pretty short, shorter than the Samba for sure. And length is your friend in powder and chop.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely 170... And I miss the BX! Although when I was an AF brat, I'm not sure they had skis???

BTW, the 164 Soul 7 and the 162 Savory are the same exact ski. Length is a marketing thing. But it skis pretty short, shorter than the Samba for sure. And length is your friend in powder and chop.

Tax free :D Hill AFB has a pretty nice demo fleet. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Not sure what bindings they could get so I might have to either shop around or just hit another shop. I kind of don't want to wait for them to ship here. It's snowing a LOT
:yahoo:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So I have the Saffron 7 in a 162 and BF has the Soul 7.. He loves them. I would have gone for the Savory 7 but I demoed the Saffron 7's first and really liked them. I'm super petite ( 5'1 and 100 lbs)... @Little Lightning has both the Saffron 7 and Savory 7. No not a charging ski like the Samba but super fun. And, isn't that what it's all about?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I have the Saffron 7 in a 162 and BF has the Soul 7.. He loves them. I would have gone for the Savory 7 but I demoed the Saffron 7's first and really liked them. I'm super petite ( 5'1 and 100 lbs)... @Little Lightning has both the Saffron 7 and Savory 7. No not a charging ski like the Samba but super fun. And, isn't that what it's all about?
Yes, fun! And I really want a more playful ski for my first powder skis because I definitely do NOT charge in the powder or crud yet! I'm hoping these will help me cheat in that area.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also, I went from my Kenjas @ 87 or so waist width to the Saffron 98 waist width...thinking a jump to the Savory's (what 106 waist) might have been more than I need in Tahoe. But who knows, Little Lightning has both. Maybe I should try the Savory 7 which like @pinto stated is identical to the Soul 7. Plus I like the Soul 7 topsheet with the yellow!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well in an impatient spree (it's SNOWING!) I bought them! I was able to wheel and deal $100 off the total price plus the binding mount for free. Still WAY WAY more than I ever like to spend on skis. Supply and demand, and I didn't want demo bindings so didn't want to try to find a used demo pair.

I ended up getting them mounted with Tyrolia Attack 12's which just so happen to match :D That was MY doing, when we went to pick the bindings I zeroed in on the color, then realized they were Attack 12's and it was like "DUH!"

tyrolia-attack-12-ski-bindings-2016-white-mint.jpg

Very nice. Post a picture of those babies mounted. Good deal. I know what you mean about supply in demand. When I bought my Kenjas mid season I cried a little bit at the price I paid. Still cheaper than retail since they were demos but I was like pay first, think later, repeat. Fortunately my demos skis came with Attack 13s so I felt that was a score.

Congrats on your new set up :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woooohooooo - enjoy :smile:

Yes, length is your friend in powder. You got the 1,70m, right? Good choice!
Yes, the 170's. I am so excited, they will be ready later today and I get to take them out tomorrow!
What's really bad is my boots are also mint green and white. I am not one to get all matchy matchy but boy I sure will be!

Very nice. Post a picture of those babies mounted. Good deal. I know what you mean about supply in demand. When I bought my Kenjas mid season I cried a little bit at the price I paid. Still cheaper than retail since they were demos but I was like pay first, think later, repeat. Fortunately my demos skis came with Attack 13s so I felt that was a score.

Congrats on your new set up :smile:

I also paid full retail for my Black Pearls. That WAS 5 years ago, so I guess I was due! :wink:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Soul 7 and Savory 7 are the same skis, I think they also measure the same, only the stated length is longer on men's version. 162 will be too short, you will regret it, go for 170.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
NICE!! Leaving for Tahoe in about an hour or so.....
Enjoy your new skis... I look forward to hearing what you think. Bet you'll love them.

mustski

Angel Diva
@contesstant -I am with you! Give me a tool that will allow me to enjoy powder while I learn to ski it! I just want to enjoy those rare days as much as possible.

I'm getting powder skis for Christmas ... ok so, I picked them, but DH is wrapping them ... ok, so he's not actually wrapping them - in fact, we just kind of stashed them at the cabin after we had the DIN adjusted. BUT, I'm getting powder skis for Christmas! Come on El Nino!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna