• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Powder hacks?

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
We had about 10" the other day possibly a bit more in some areas, I did pretty much what you described ie "bunny hop" , more evenly balanced with smoother less rounded turns, slowed it right down and ski's closer together. Our snow can be tricky as its generally not as light and dry as yours and often has a ghastly crust which has caused me no end of grief in the past. This last snowfall was lovely and light with no crust so it was a real treat .... esp as it is now our Spring ! The next day however it was tracked out crud and had got a lot heavier ...... see my post about how to ski crud
When does your season end there?

Reactions: AJM

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot please watch the Ski Co video so you can help me with the little drill of pulling my skis when the snow flies! :becky:
That video was great! Good tips to think about - muscle intensity, hopping, and skis together. Funny, in powder, I get permission to keep my skis together - woot, woot. Of course, this would be the case since I have been working so hard on not being "such a lady" when I ski, lol.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When does your season end there
Generally around the first week of October. Our local hill closes on the 2nd but some go longer ie Mt Hutt, Cardrona etc and some close earlier. It basically comes down to $$$, over here people kind of switch off skiing mid to late September so the skier numbers drop and its not economically viable to stay open too long into October regardless of snow cover. We only have on average a 90 day season so when I read about your numbers there is no way we could come anywhere close over here. Even the heli operations close at end of September as the demand just isnt there.
In saying that there is always somewhere to ski if you want to earn your turns ... my son was skiing in January this year up on one of the glaciers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That video was great! Good tips to think about - muscle intensity, hopping, and skis together. Funny, in powder, I get permission to keep my skis together - woot, woot. Of course, this would be the case since I have been working so hard on not being "such a lady" when I ski, lol.

I’m very interested in feeling the specific muscle intensity level. I don’t think I’ve really been changing my stance width either, so definitely will try that. I’ve tried the hopping and it just made me very tired, I don’t think I was doing it right haha, perhaps narrowing the platform will help with that too..

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you thinking about a trip to New Zealand next summer? :smile:

Look here for some late season 2022 pictures, meaning Aug-Sep.
Golly I never even knew this forum existed, I'm picking its mainly Aussies who are over here on holiday posting.
Also be aware that a lot of those "glory" shots are from heli accessed terrain and not on the resorts and that costs $$$ ..... worth it though esp if the stars align and you get good snow and a bluebird day :thumbsup:
I noticed too that there was a lot of shots from our snowfall last week :snow:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Are you thinking about a trip to New Zealand next summer? :smile:

Look here for some late season 2022 pictures, meaning Aug-Sep.
Thanks, but no. I have been to NZ although not to ski.
Once was enough.

I would much rather go to Argentina or Chille. I would do that in the near future for sure.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Generally around the first week of October. Our local hill closes on the 2nd but some go longer ie Mt Hutt, Cardrona etc and some close earlier. It basically comes down to $$$, over here people kind of switch off skiing mid to late September so the skier numbers drop and its not economically viable to stay open too long into October regardless of snow cover. We only have on average a 90 day season so when I read about your numbers there is no way we could come anywhere close over here. Even the heli operations close at end of September as the demand just isnt there.
In saying that there is always somewhere to ski if you want to earn your turns ... my son was skiing in January this year up on one of the glaciers.
Wow, I see. I would hate to have such short seasons.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Golly I never even knew this forum existed, I'm picking its mainly Aussies who are over here on holiday posting.
Also be aware that a lot of those "glory" shots are from heli accessed terrain and not on the resorts and that costs $$$ ..... worth it though esp if the stars align and you get good snow and a bluebird day :thumbsup:
I noticed too that there was a lot of shots from our snowfall last week :snow:
Yep, I'm aware of which pics are from the guy who guides. He moves to SLC for the N. American season. Earlier in the season there were pics from resorts or snow fields. Along with driving and bus stories.

The Aussie ski forum has been around since 1995. I've learned a lot about skiing in Japan and Europe from it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think @snoWYmonkey meant these comments for this thread.

The two videos are adressing very different questions. 1. Drills to prepare us for powder whem we don'tactually have powder. 2. How to actually ski powder and what we need to change to be successful.

Drills without the why and when of the skill application in real life make very little sense.

White pass turns, porpoising, picture frames, square turns, none male much sense without the back story of the skill they are meant to teach the student. The matrix videos are not necessarily intended for the general public but as guidance for the tens of thousands of instructors looking for a quick idea while on a quick snack break.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I see. I would hate to have such short seasons.....
I know its crazy, we spend a fortune on skiing, live where we live because its close to the ski hills and all for 90 days a season and note that isn't 90 open days either. Because we don't have trees and its all alpine that means that the ski areas have a lot of closed days due to weather and avi risk .

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I know its crazy, we spend a fortune on skiing, live where we live because its close to the ski hills and all for 90 days a season and note that isn't 90 open days either. Because we don't have trees and its all alpine that means that the ski areas have a lot of closed days due to weather and avi risk .
Yikes. I live in Aspen, Colorado just during the season. We start from the Thanksgiving holiday, unless we have a lot of snow, then start eaier. End in third week of April. Extended another 2 weeks if the condition is excellent.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Yikes. I live in Aspen, Colorado just during the season. We start from the Thanksgiving holiday, unless we have a lot of snow, then start eaier. End in third week of April. Extended another 2 weeks if the condition is excellent.
Meant to say if we have a lot of snow..., not unless.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Here's a video with a drill that requires fresh snow. Probably at least 3-4 inches. Instructor doing the talking is CSIA Level 4.

April 2016

This looks like a very fun drill! I’ve tried hopping before, but I don’t think my timing was ever quite right and it ended up just being super tiring trying to hopping around in too much heavy snow. Will have to try again in a more mindful way.

Jilly

Staff member
I couldn't turn the sound on, as I'm at work. But if I remember right, this is an extension and flexion of the legs. You can use this is bumps too, but you'll need some edge work too.

Did anyone notice...Guy is not on some 100mm ski!! But it is a "freeride ski" from Rossi. Andrea is on a wider ski though.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I couldn't turn the sound on, as I'm at work. But if I remember right, this is an extension and flexion of the legs. You can use this is bumps too, but you'll need some edge work too.

Did anyone notice...Guy is not on some 100mm ski!! But it is a "freeride ski" from Rossi. Andrea is on a wider ski though.
Some people told me "not necessary to use those fat skis to ski the powder. There were no wide skis like now back when and that is not that long ago". A good point.
I do not know how you can ski the mogul like this though....... I sure cannot. :ski:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly