• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Poppy ski for advanced skier in coastal/interior BC

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@rivarunnamomma don't discount the Ripsticks, if you can demo. I have the Ripstick 94 as my BC set up in the Sierra's and I have the Scarpa Gea boot. I do a lot of lift served back country and really enjoy ripping groomers on them as well as having capability to deal with snow. They are also light. I am a fan of the Black Crows, and own several pairs. Lots of love for the Faction skis and the Liberty skis. Are you able to demo any of these skis and are you mounting them with AT bindings?
Yes, I am planning to demo as many skis as I can when I head to Whistler in two weeks. I live in a very small town 10 hours north of Whistler, where there are NO demos in women's sizes (let alone women's skis) :-( so this trip is a real opportunity to do a bunch of fun "research". This forum is already providing invaluable in putting a list of demos together.

Thanks for the vote for the Ripstick 94. I've heard some very good things about them over the past few years, and saw lots of them around, but was very skeptical of the asymmetrical profile. But the more I read in this forum and elsewhere, the more I think I should give them a try. They sound like they check all the boxes for what I'm looking for.

Liberty Genesis 101 is definitely on my list but I am very curious about Black Crows. Have you any experience with the Camox Birdie or the Atris Birdie?

@chasinghorizons loves her Dictators (the 2.0 I assume as she said they're pink :-) What is your impression of how they fit with my needs? I think they could be too stiff for what I'm looking for.

Not sure what kind of bindings I will find on demos, but I was thinking I would NOT mount an AT on these skis as I have two other sets for touring, and I miss the energy transfer of an alpine binding.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
I’d put in a hard rec for the Fischer Ranger 102 or 94 FR. Lots of “bend and snap” between turns and a phenomenal carver. Similar to the Sheevas, but snappier. The 102 is an awesome pink.

(and I’m also a huge fan of those Yvettes - they’re my powder touring setup)
Thanks so much @Analisa! The first reviews I read on this forum were written by you and they resonated so instantly with me that I scrambled to register! I instantly understood the way you describe skis and their performance. Far and away better than anything else I have ever read about women's skis. I especially liked your frank discussion of the term "playful" when describing a ski. I saw it everywhere, but had no clue what it really meant, and your comments confirmed my suspicion that one person's "playful" could easily be another's nightmare :-)

I have to admit the pink Ranger has caught my eye. (I'm obviously very easily swayed.) I'm definitely keen on trying the Sheeva 9 and so when you say the Ranger is snappier ... I'm in!

I'm also interested in whether you think the LIne Pandora 94 or 104 might fit the bill for me?

My "short list"so far (in no particular order) :

Ranger 94 or 102
Blizzard Sheeva 9 (maybe 10?)
Liberty Genesis 101
Santa Ana 94 or 104
Rip Stick 94 (maybe 106?)
Blizzard Rustler 10 (maybe 9?)

Still considering:
Elan ??? (can't find the model!)
Line Pandora 94 (or 104)
Black Crows Camox (96 ish)

Do you see anything really at odds with what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
I ski in interior BC and my 'hasn't snowed in a week' daily driver is the Rustler 10; it's a nice combination of fun and responsive without being demanding. It does respond well if you ski aggressively and also holds an edge nicely. If you'd said you liked to make big GS turns, I wouldn't suggest it as an option, but for short to medium turns plus bumps, I love it. It's poppy and wants to turn. Personally wouldn't take it out if there was a significant amount of chopped, heavy powder - I also own a couple of pairs of fatter, burlier skis that handle those sort of conditions better. So that might suggest a better option if those conditions are a priority. I think the Rustler/Sheeva 9 or 10 is probably a bit too light to really make easy work of chop...
Thanks @ MrsPlow! I've been thinking about the Rustlers and your great description ("responsive without being demanding"; "it's poppy and wants to turn") has guaranteed it a spot on my list. :-) I hear you on cut up crud or heavy powder - I'd probably use my Volkl Blaze instead, but personally, I find them kinda planky. Lovely, light floaters in powder, but not poppy at all. I wonder if anyone else is of the same opinion?

Thanks again and happy turns on your Rustlers :-)

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
I have the sheeva 10 and find them easy and fun to turn, maneuverable in trees, and generally a like them a lot… but neither poppy nor energetic are words I’d use for them. I also struggle to carve them.

Last year in a very dry spell I got the elan wildcat 86 cx and have found them to be super fun to carve, would say they’re poppy and energetic, and actually not bad off piste.
(I’m in Tahoe) they like to go fast but I don’t ever feel out of control or like they’re driving me. Oh and they’re Pink!
Thanks @beane! The Sheeva 10s are definitely on my list! And I love the "pinkness" of the Elan Wildcat 86 but think they might be a bit narrow and firm snow oriented for where I live. If I went with Elan, I think I might consider the Ripstick instead.

Thanks again. All the best and happy turns in Tahoe!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Chasinghorizons - Thanks for the clarification on Stargazers. I didn't realize the Soul 7 "ancestry". I had a great couple of weeks on them in Switzerland, and definitely don't like what I hear about the BlackOps so the Stargazers are worth considering. (The Dictators are pink, huh? Hmmm.... :-)
I didn’t know the stargazers were the successor to the soul 7’s. Are they 102 underfoot?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@rivarunnamomma I have a prior version of the Cammox Birdie as my daily driver. My DD has the current version of the Captis Birdie which is a bit narrower which I have demod as well. I have also enjoyed prior versions of the Atris Birdie in a big powder dump. I purchased this summer and just mounted up the Orb Birdie which is 88 underfoot and more all mountain. I had been looking for an all mountain ski that could carve and handle some off piste as well. I had purchased the Armada Victa Ti without demoing, and while its light fun and may have some of the characteristics you are looking for I seem to be in between sizes and I just don’t find it to be confidence inspiring when I’m in steeper or mixed terrain. Love it for zoomer groomers. So just before things shut down in 2020 I demoed a lot. Nothing really spoke to me (but I did get on those Fisher 102 pink skis and they were a blast- on my short list for newer fat skis). Out of all the skis I decided to pull the trigger on the Orb. I skied them for a few hours yesterday (I actually giggled a few times and they certainly have that familiar crow feel) and will get on them again today. They are easy to get on edge and handled piles of crap and out of all the crows I have skied feel easier to carve despite the longer turn radius allowing for easy transition between various turn radius
For what is worth the crows all have long turn radius - which is more my style.

I have not been on any of the Faction skis or the newest version of the Cammox Birdie but @Kimmyt just had this review https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...rain-mid-fats-mid-90-waist.26158/#post-453774

Also I believe @Analisa has the Atris Birdie and the Ripstick 102.

Armada has a new line that replaced the Victa I have not been able to demo fwiw the Trace is light weight easy skiing not sure if it fits your needs.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
If you have a chance to get on a pair of Moments (Sierra? Wildcat 101?) sometime, it might be a blast. I've only been on the narrower Hot Mess, but it was versatile, playful, and solid ski!
Thanks @shadoj! I am not familiar with any of the Moments. I'll check them out!

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@rivarunnamomma I have a prior version of the Cammox Birdie as my daily driver. My DD has the current version of the Captis Birdie which is a bit narrower which I have demod as well. I have also enjoyed prior versions of the Atris Birdie in a big powder dump. I purchased this summer and just mounted up the Orb Birdie which is 88 underfoot and more all mountain. I had been looking for an all mountain ski that could carve and handle some off piste as well. I had purchased the Armada Victa Ti without demoing, and while its light fun and may have some of the characteristics you are looking for I seem to be in between sizes and I just don’t find it to be confidence inspiring when I’m in steeper or mixed terrain. Love it for zoomer groomers. So just before things shut down in 2020 I demoed a lot. Nothing really spoke to me (but I did get on those Fisher 102 pink skis and they were a blast- on my short list for newer fat skis). Out of all the skis I decided to pull the trigger on the Orb. I skied them for a few hours yesterday (I actually giggled a few times and they certainly have that familiar crow feel) and will get on them again today. They are easy to get on edge and handled piles of crap and out of all the crows I have skied feel easier to carve despite the longer turn radius allowing for easy transition between various turn radius

I have not been on any of the Faction skis or the newest version of the Cammox Birdie but @Kimmyt just had this review https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...rain-mid-fats-mid-90-waist.26158/#post-453774

Armada has a new line that replaced the Victa I have not been able to demo fwiw the Trace is light weight easy skiing not sure if it fits your needs.
Wow @WaterGirl! That's a LOT of info! Thanks so much. Thanks for your review of a whole flock of Black Crows and for sharing their "long radius" bias. I am going to check out the links you sent and look more closely at the Camox, Captis, Atris and Orb. My girlfriend has a pair of Atris Birdies and we think my boots will fit ... so I'm hoping to check those out on snow this coming week. Hopefully I can find some of the others to demo in Whistler in a couple of weeks. I know nothing about Armadas so that is completely new territory for me.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva

Thanks @WaterGirl for the links above, particularly @Kimmyt's review of a number of skis I'm considering for my demo trip including Black Crows Camox Birdie; Faction Dictator 2.0; Rossignol BlackOps Stargazer. @Kimmyt was looking for a ski that did almost exactly what I want it to do, and so her review was really on target for me. I see you are a "Diva Extraordinaire", which means you have spent lots of time in this forum. In this case, it really paid off by making a connection between individual Divas that share the same goals so that contributors don't have to start from scratch each time. Very helpful! Thanks again!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ranger 94 or 102 - keep.

Blizzard Sheeva 9 (maybe 10?) - keep. I will note that these love short radius turns. Great for trees and bumps. If you want long radius turns on groomers or long turns in open bowls, these feel less confident being held in the fall line. They're mounted a little in front of the Ranger and have more tail rocker, which makes them more nimble

Liberty Genesis 101 - keep, this ski competes almost head-to-head with the Sheeva.

Santa Ana 94 or 104 - keep. If the Ranger is a bit more directional and strong compared to the Sheeva, the SA 104 is that same step above the Ranger. I know a few people with Santa Ana inbound quivers and DPS Alchemist 100 / 112 touring skis.

Rip Stick 94 (maybe 106?) - I have the 102 (surprisingly the same ski as the men's 106, but a different mount point). I might scratch these. They added an extra layer of carbon since 2020, and the ski feels too stiff for its weight. With the Sheeva, the soft tips absorb chunder, but the metal underfoot is heavy enough to dampen it out. When the Ripstick deflects, it's such a stiff ski that it diverts the entire thing. Carves incredibly well. Nice in powder. Took a lot of work when the resort got skied out.

Blizzard Rustler 10 (maybe 9?) - keep, stronger version of the Sheeva, but otherwise the DNA is the same

Line Pandora 94 (or 104) - I'd probably strike this one off. I've had friends demo the Pandora 94 & Blaze 94 back-to-back. Consensus was that the Pandora skied super similarly, felt a smidgen more demanding, and that the Blaze felt a little more poppy. Considering that the Blaze uses fiberglass while Pandora uses carbon, that checks out. I don't know that it's differentiated enough to justify owning both, unless you're for sure going with the 94.

Black Crows Camox (96 ish) - keep. I have the Atris, which is part of Black Crows's "mix of directional and playful" family (the Corvus is not). They are extremely poppy. Little softer overall than the Ranger, little less density. Also mounted a smidgen up. I'd be really curious to see a comparison between those two - and if you're willing to pay for the Blister membership, I think they have one (birdie version is the same as the men's with a different topsheet. Product specs say it's a little softer, but the ceo of bc has confirmed theyre the same)

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @WaterGirl for the links above, particularly @Kimmyt's review of a number of skis I'm considering for my demo trip including Black Crows Camox Birdie; Faction Dictator 2.0; Rossignol BlackOps Stargazer. @Kimmyt was looking for a ski that did almost exactly what I want it to do, and so her review was really on target for me. I see you are a "Diva Extraordinaire", which means you have spent lots of time in this forum. In this case, it really paid off by making a connection between individual Divas that share the same goals so that contributors don't have to start from scratch each time. Very helpful! Thanks again!
I actually saw your post and the first thought I had was the Camox Birdie for you.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
Ranger 94 or 102 - keep.

Blizzard Sheeva 9 (maybe 10?) - keep. I will note that these love short radius turns. Great for trees and bumps. If you want long radius turns on groomers or long turns in open bowls, these feel less confident being held in the fall line. They're mounted a little in front of the Ranger and have more tail rocker, which makes them more nimble

Liberty Genesis 101 - keep, this ski competes almost head-to-head with the Sheeva.

Santa Ana 94 or 104 - keep. If the Ranger is a bit more directional and strong compared to the Sheeva, the SA 104 is that same step above the Ranger. I know a few people with Santa Ana inbound quivers and DPS Alchemist 100 / 112 touring skis.

Rip Stick 94 (maybe 106?) - I have the 102 (surprisingly the same ski as the men's 106, but a different mount point). I might scratch these. They added an extra layer of carbon since 2020, and the ski feels too stiff for its weight. With the Sheeva, the soft tips absorb chunder, but the metal underfoot is heavy enough to dampen it out. When the Ripstick deflects, it's such a stiff ski that it diverts the entire thing. Carves incredibly well. Nice in powder. Took a lot of work when the resort got skied out.

Blizzard Rustler 10 (maybe 9?) - keep, stronger version of the Sheeva, but otherwise the DNA is the same

Line Pandora 94 (or 104) - I'd probably strike this one off. I've had friends demo the Pandora 94 & Blaze 94 back-to-back. Consensus was that the Pandora skied super similarly, felt a smidgen more demanding, and that the Blaze felt a little more poppy. Considering that the Blaze uses fiberglass while Pandora uses carbon, that checks out. I don't know that it's differentiated enough to justify owning both, unless you're for sure going with the 94.

Black Crows Camox (96 ish) - keep. I have the Atris, which is part of Black Crows's "mix of directional and playful" family (the Corvus is not). They are extremely poppy. Little softer overall than the Ranger, little less density. Also mounted a smidgen up. I'd be really curious to see a comparison between those two - and if you're willing to pay for the Blister membership, I think they have one (birdie version is the same as the men's with a different topsheet. Product specs say it's a little softer, but the ceo of bc has confirmed theyre the same)
Thanks so much for your feedback. Super valuable! I have read that a lot of people like the old Rip Sticks better for the reason you mention - too stiff for their low weight. So probably off the list. And yes, I have the review of the Camox Birdie and related Deep Dives on Blister. Their site used to be my #1 source for info but has been recently replaced by Ski Divas :-) Fingers crossed I can line up all (or most) of these skis in Whistler. I've never demo'd a bunch of skis back to back, and I'm really looking forward to it.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually saw your post and the first thought I had was the Camox Birdie for you.
Exactly - I had the same thought! Especially because I think they are a smidge softer than the version I have.

@Analisa I have not been on the new 94 Ripsticks but prior generation for poppy fun carving, fresh snow and for me spring touring I absolutely love them. I think that @rivarunnamomma is realistic and understands that her ideal ski may not be a crud buster. I agree that Ripsticks would not be my crud buster choice but for everything else - especially the amount of float they have in fresh as well as carving capability in a narrower width and lighter ski.

I'm looking for a set of skis that is poppy and energetic for use at the resort on days without new snow. Here, in interior/coastal BC (Smithers) that means soft bumps and soft groomers with a few remaining stashes of powder on the edges or tucked between trees. Nice if they don't get too thrown around too much in cut up snow. Not sure this ski exists!
FWIW as @Analisa mentioned both the Elan Ripstick and Black Crows are the same ski for men/women. I am not sure about mount points for the Crows.

I had fun on the Orb birdies today! No problem letting them run in mixed conditions, way more stability for me than the Victa ti. Easy to carve, getting some fun rebound, can't wait to get to know them better, I think we will become great friends :smile:

Edit - just saw the post above - happy demoing @rivarunnamomma

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FYI on some updates for 2023 skis:

"On the alpine side, the Brahma, Bonafide, and Black Pearl get construction updates, with a thinner core in the tip and tail to make them a touch more friendly and playful."

It looks like the Sheeva line is staying the same. Photos of the new graphics are also included.

It also says there's new construction for the Santa Ana series but doesn't give specifics/graphics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna