• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: POOF! And it's GONE!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone else have a problem with posts just up and disappearing in the middle of typing?

It never happened before the change to the new format, but I will be typing away - especially when I have composed a particularly lovely looong reply (and you Divas know I can do that!) :dance: And POOF! The screen flips and the whole thing is just gone! It's gotten so bad that I have begun copying as I go, saving what I have typed. But invariably I forget and copy/paste a single word somewhere and that is what is saved when I need to retrieve the whole thing. Grrrr! :mad2:

I know this is a problem on iPad/iPhone, and a reason to get TapaTalk, and it's been a problem on Epic all along, but never on TheSkiDiva before the change! Is anyone else having a problem, or is it just me/ my computer? I've been having some problems with my MBPro and this could be another example of it's basic wonkiness.

Just wondering . . . . :confused:

mustski

Angel Diva
I have not encountered that problem. I only use the computer and don't post from iPad or phone.

Jenny

Angel Diva
It happened several times when I first got the iPad but not really since then. I don't know if there was some key I was hitting or something but it just stopped. However, I did see your comment about typing long posts in another program and noted that for further reference. Seemed like a good idea to me.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On my Android, I can't post to the forum from the web either by typing in the regular reply box or by hitting "reply" in a post; I have to use Tapatalk. That's with the native browser, though, so I'll try another browser when I have time.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SkiNana, are you PC or Apple?

Hasn't happened on my mac, but when I go to another tab and then come back to SkiDiva, when the SKiDiva site first appears on the page it is blacked out except for some text lines. Clicking the mouse on the page or scrolling immediately reverts it back to normal. That's the only weird thing I've noticed.

mustski

Angel Diva
Actually, that's a very good question! I use a PC at work and encounter that sometimes with email. I've learned to copy as I go so I can paste if I hit a glitch. Yes, as a theatre teacher, I send some really long, information emails!

marzNC

Angel Diva

Hasn't happened on my mac, but when I go to another tab and then come back to SkiDiva, when the SKiDiva site first appears on the page it is blacked out except for some text lines. Clicking the mouse on the page or scrolling immediately reverts it back to normal. That's the only weird thing I've noticed.
That happens to me every so often on my Mac using Safari 5.1.1. More often recently but could be because I've been using a bunch of tabs at the same time more than usual.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have this happen only if I get flying fingers and accidentally hit the wrong key, or combo of keys, and delete everything. Oftentimes when that happens, you can hit CTRL+Z and it will undo the action and bring the text back. You might try that next time it happens. It's sure frustrating, isn't it?!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, this happens to me, too, and it seems to be a problem with my browser, Safari. I've raised it with the software company; they point the finger at Safari, and Safari points it right back. So who knows. But I handle it the same as you do, deanna, and it's fine.

SkiNana, I haven't heard anything about posts disappearing as they're being written, nor have I had that problem. I don't have any idea what's going on there.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Safari is my browser, too. Last week I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion (10.7.3), but I haven't taken note of whether it happened after the upgrade. What is your OS?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Safari is my browser, too. Last week I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion (10.7.3), but I haven't taken note of whether it happened after the upgrade. What is your OS?

I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8, a/k/a Snow Leopard.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to post the question and then abandon the discussion. I use Apple, variously a MacBookPro running OSX 10.7 (Lion), an iPhone, or an iPad. The problems arose mostly on the iOS devices, I think, but I recently caught myself composing in Mail on my computer as well, so I'm not certain about that.

In any case, I discovered that, after the "POOF!", what I had written wasn't truly gone. It could be rediscovered by paging forward - or maybe back (please forgive the vagueness, I am full of post-op pain meds) - and there it would be. So what is happening is that the browser (always Safari on the devices, Firefox on my MBPro) isn't devouring my work but skipping back - or forward - a page or two. I hope this sheds additional light on the subject.

abc

Banned
In any case, I discovered that, after the "POOF!", what I had written wasn't truly gone. It could be rediscovered by paging forward - or maybe back (please forgive the vagueness, I am full of post-op pain meds) - and there it would be. So what is happening is that the browser (always Safari on the devices, Firefox on my MBPro) isn't devouring my work but skipping back - or forward - a page or two. I hope this sheds additional light on the subject.
That's a classic symptom of hitting the backspace key at the wrong time!

When you're browsing, the backspace key is mated to the shortcut of going back to the previous page. (shift backspace goes to the next page)

That shortcut is "off" when you're in a text box. So you can delete words by tapping the backspace key as anyone would normally do. Now, if you accidentally hit the mouse/touchpad, which happened to be sitting outside the text box, you've just gone outside the text mode! Hitting backspace at that moment would send you back to the previous page!!!

I've had that problem for ages, not just at skidiva. My laptop has a very "touchy" pad so I constantly end up in the browse mode instead of the text mode while I'm editing (aka, tapping backspace key).

Solution? Post early, edit to add the rest of the post. That way, you don't lose the entire post, only the new part. More over, you also "hold" the place of your post, in case the discussion had drifted to something else while you were still composing a response to another post far, far back.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a great idea - posting early and then making changes in the edit mode. If only for the virtue of "saving your place in line" it would be useful, but it solves the other problem as well. I had been writing posts as emails then copy/pasting them back into the forum as posts. That solved the 'poof' problem, but not the 'out of order' one. Thanks.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sometimes just open a word processor, especially if I'm inserting replies into someone else's post because it can get hard to see what's happening. But Control-Z and backspace (previous screen) have saved my nerves from a lot of jangling!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna