• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Poll: Do you think all ski resorts should close due to the coronavirus?

Should ski resorts close because of the Coronavirus

• Yes, the ones that are still open should close

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No, current precautionary measures are enough. Let them stay open.

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've had a pretty active thread on whether or not we should change our ski plans because of the coronavirus. Some ski resorts have answered that for us by closing early. But others have not.

What do you think? Do you think the rest should close to maintain social distancing and protect the health of their employees and guests? Or do you think that the current precautions — gondola shutdowns, fewer people per lift, less density in the lodges, greater disinfection measures — are enough?

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think that it depends..

If crowds are low naturally since we are getting on into March, then I think these measures can be helpful. I do think they should all greatly scale back any food service and anything that brings you into the lodge besides the bathroom. If the entirety of the southern states end up on the ski mountains because kids are out of school (talking New England), I think that will be a big problem of crowding that might sway my opinion the other way.

This morning I went on the lift once. The line was kind of long because we had a lot of wind holds on most other lifts today. I was uncomfortable being in that line, not gonna lie.. I did make sure I rode alone on a quad, and no one tried to change that behavior, so that was a plus. Two younger girls tried to ride with me, and I just let them go ahead. I was surprised that the liftie was still scanning passes. I wear mine on my helmet, and she got real close to scan it, I think that process needs to change somehow. @lisamamot and I then went for a skin which was absolutely lovely!! It’s nice when you can get where no one else is, and still get freshly groomed snow. We saw a good number of others skinning as well. I do hope for some more lift serviced days this season, but if I have to skin instead for the most part, I’m fine with that as well. We were very temped to have a beer on the deck in the sun before calling it a day, but resisted the urge because we would have had to go inside to the bar and the picnic table area outside was a little crowded too. I think we’ll be packing some goodies in our bags or a close by car for future days this spring, that way you have your own supplies/containers, and can spread out away from other groupings of people.

I also made sure to have a small hand sanitizer bottle in my pocket skiing in case I was going to touch anything away from running water for any reason, but didn’t end up. Gloves are a really great part of skiing in this sense!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The implication of the call for closure is that somehow if JH closes immediately then COVID-19 won't continue to spread in the immediate area. Very unlikely that it isn't already around given the number of travelers who have gone in and out of Jackson and Teton Village in the last 4-8 weeks.

Picking a firm closing date now within the next 1-2 weeks does make sense. As opposed to making a snap decision to close tomorrow. The first weekend of April was closing day the last two years.

Taos chose to close two weeks early. They gave people about 10 days notice. Jay Peak made a relatively quick decision but had clearly thought abou their staff before making the announcement. Hopefully JH management is doing their best to come up with a solid plan for both guests and staff.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you'd asked me yesterday, when the resorts that are staying open put out their plans for mitigation, I would've been in favor of letting them stay open. Based on what I saw at Loveland today, though, I'm much more inclined toward wanting resorts to suspend operations, at least for a week (many CO resorts are open until mid-April, so they don't necessarily have to shut down for the season). We're at a critical time for preventing wider transmission, and it's not clear to me that resorts and guests are taking this seriously enough.

newboots

Angel Diva
If people could be counted on to follow new ways of behaving without being such idiots, I would vote yes. It appears they can't.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot and I then went for a skin which was absolutely lovely!! It’s nice when you can get where no one else is, and still get freshly groomed snow. We saw a good number of others skinning as well. I do hope for some more lift serviced days this season, but if I have to skin instead for the most part, I’m fine with that as well.

It will be interesting to see what the resorts with an uphill policy will do if they shut the lifts and lodges. Especially with those that routinely perform avalanche mitigation. Will they become an 'adult attractive nuisances'? Also wondering about xc trails that are maintained by resorts which have closed.....

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you'd asked me yesterday, when the resorts that are staying open put out their plans for mitigation, I would've been in favor of letting them stay open. Based on what I saw at Loveland today, though, I'm much more inclined toward wanting resorts to suspend operations, at least for a week (many CO resorts are open until mid-April, so they don't necessarily have to shut down for the season). We're at a critical time for preventing wider transmission, and it's not clear to me that resorts and guests are taking this seriously enough.

What did you see? People too close to each other on liftlines? In the lodge?

I'm not sure on this one. My daughter has a ski lesson tomorrow at Smuggler's Notch. I was planning to send her with hand sanitizer and instructions to sanitize/wash hands at lunch time, and also planning to ski on my own with similar precautions.

Schools are not yet closed in VT- the governor feels it is too early. As of Friday we had only 2 cases in the state; today that has jumped to 5. So the decision might change tomorrow.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What did you see? People too close to each other on liftlines? In the lodge?

I'm not sure on this one. My daughter has a ski lesson tomorrow at Smuggler's Notch. I was planning to send her with hand sanitizer and instructions to sanitize/wash hands at lunch time, and also planning to ski on my own with similar precautions.

Schools are not yet closed in VT- the governor feels it is too early. As of Friday we had only 2 cases in the state; today that has jumped to 5. So the decision might change tomorrow.

Too close in the lift lines and the lodge, no attempt by employees to impose distancing on lifts or in lines, and crowds (relatively, for Loveland.)

I see that both Vail Resorts and Alterra have just announced one-week suspension of operations, after which they'll reassess. I think it's the right call.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man...

https://www.mammothmountain.com/covid

“MARCH 14 4:30PM

After careful thought and deliberation of our duty in the face of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, and in what I believe is in the best interest of our guests, employees and local communities, Alterra Mountain Company will suspend operations at our 15 North American ski resorts, starting the morning of Sunday, March 15, until further notice. All lift operations, food and beverage, retail and rental services will be closed until further notice.”

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess this poll is hardly necessary now, since the big gorillas in the room, Vail and Alterra, have both suspended operations. Some resorts are still running, though, so I guess I'll let the poll continue.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All of Coleman's resorts in the Southwest are planning to remain open, some until end of April. I would think that by sometime this week he may decide to join the movement to close.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thrilled we are closing. Yes, I missed tomorrow, when I had planned to ski one last day and then empty the locker. But, the idea of folks driving in from other places with far higher levels of infection has been upsetting. As it turns out, the first cases all involved OUR residents travelling elsewhere and bringing it back, but the idea was the same -- why import problems? The medical care here is NOT big city care. My neighbor has gone to Portland for some eye surgery, for instance. We're just not set up to handle SICKNESS that well. Bear attacks and torn ACL's, sure.

Now all the big areas in the state are closed, and I'm sure that aside from maybe Turner and other shoestring operations, that the rest will be shortly. Those places aren't tourist draws, anyway. I'm certainly worrying about 800,000 visitors arriving this summer for Glacier National Park.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna