• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

PMTS anyone?

Calgary ski chick

Certified Ski Diva
I've been skiing more this winter than ever - and really want to improve my ability. I really noticed a difference when I got the One Luv - really understood the idea of carving a turn. I'm great on flat green and blue runs. I can do black and double blacks, but it's just not pretty. And bumps are pretty tough for me to do gracefully.

I want to take some lessons and don't know which way to go. I've also been hearing / reading a lot about Harb and the PMTS method.

What should I look for in lessons? Or rather in an instructor? I'm also debating taking the ski instructor certification as that would surely review all the theory and technically I could teach myself!

Advice?:ski2:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I think lessons are great -- no matter how good you are, you can always get something out of them. And I think the best way to find an instructor is through recommendations. So ask around. I think becoming an instructor for the reason you stated is a hard way to go for something you could achieve just through lessons -- unless, of course, that's something you want to do.

As for the Harb method (ooooo, good thing this isn't Epic; that's a real hot button over there), he's a fine skier and his methods seem to work very well for a lot of people. Some people have problems with him,but I don't think they're related to skiing. I think whatever works, and whatever you're most comfortable in, is best for you.

BTW, check out the Instructor Roll Call thread in the General Skiing forum. We have quite a number of instructors who are members of the forum. Maybe one of them could offer some advice

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think lessons are a great thing. I spent 20 years skiing without a lesson, then went to ESA. Loved it.

I agree with Wendy to look at the instructor roll call here on SkiDiva and see what you can find. From a personal stand point, I think Tcarey is among the best of the best!

Jilly

Staff member
I know someone at COP - Heather Robinson. She's a level 4 course conductor for the CSIA. If you're thinking of CSIA certification, check out www.snowpro.com They have a section with all the info about the certification. I'm not sure just what Heather is doing out there, but I think she's running their snow school programs. At Big White see if Bob Casson is available. He might just be coaching this year and not teaching. Bob is a ski bum and skis year round. Used to work in the same industry as I do, got laid off and decided a change of occupation was in order.

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are ever out to Panorama, they have an excellent ski school !
I took a couple lessons there about 3 yrs ago and found the instructors very good. I have been thinking about a ladies lesson pkg at COP, just haven't had the time lately. I have heard good things about the ski school there also. COP is about a ten minute drive from home too so very convenient for me.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My recommendations as a student looking for an instructor - Find the highest level certified instructors available where you ski or want to ski & see if you can get recommendations. Knowing how you learn best & discussing that ahead of time can be very helpful. Also, it makes all difference if you "gel" with that instructor. As far as PMTS-they have 3 cert levels. In having looked at the highest level,Black, certified PMTS instructors- I noted that all but 2 listed were also highest PSIA level-III. So there are some really well qualified instructors out there. Some with top level dual & more certifications. Good luck, hope you can find a local instructor that works well for you !

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I think the best way to find an instructor is through recommendations. So ask around. I think becoming an instructor for the reason you stated is a hard way to go for something you could achieve just through lessons -- unless, of course, that's something you want to do.

As for the Harb method (ooooo, good thing this isn't Epic; that's a real hot button over there), he's a fine skier and his methods seem to work very well for a lot of people. Some people have problems with him,but I don't think they're related to skiing. I think whatever works, and whatever you're most comfortable in, is best for you.

I agree with recommendations. Hearing other student's reco & experience is invaluable.

As far as Harb - as much as he bashes PSIA as just wrong, it totally crackes me up to see that all but 2 (1 is a world champion pre-Harb ) of his top-Black- certified instructors are top level PSIA cert III's. They didn't abandon what they already know & are certified for, they just added more info/skill to their bag & more ABC's in certification behind their names. Clearly some very dedicated professional instructors. Regardless of certifications. :becky:

As vicious as Harb can be, Ya'd think he'd make those Black certified instructors yank the PSIA certs off their cards. I'm sure he has an explaination for letting them leave the PSIA on.:p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna