• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plus size ski pants (2x-4x)?

HeidiGmt

Diva in Training
Can anyone recommend a source for plus size ski pants of good quality (e.g., Gore-Tex)? I wear a size 20-22 pants (usually 2x-3x), am only 5'3", and have skied for 30 years, live in a ski town, and have never had good gear.

Women's ski gear doesn't seem to be made in larger sizes, and certainly not the really good stuff. Men's gear comes in super huge sizes (even way too big for me), but to get men's pants that fit my hips and butt, the waist is twice as big as I need, and the legs are about a foot too long. I can't bring myself to shell out hundreds of dollars for Gore-Tex pants that don't fit worth a darn, but I'm tired of skiing in substandard clothes and getting a cold, wet butt.

I suppose the industry just assumes fat women don't alpine ski--or snowshoe or snowmobile or ski cross-country or ski backcountry, all of which I do. I have tried Junonia, which makes plus size athletic gear, but their limited ski gear selection is subpar (no real hi-tech stuff, like Gore-Tex or similar), but still extremely expensive. I have searched online many times but never really found anything else worth trying. Ski and sports shops never seem to have anything over a 16 or 1x in the stores.

I eventually found some jackets that work (custom-made fleece jacket & a men's Gore-Tex shell that works well enough, plus a plus size women's LL Bean ski parka), but cannot find pants. My old pair is falling apart and wasn't great to begin with--not really waterproof.

I'd appreciate any leads anyone has.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if you could get the men's pants and then have a technical gear tailor like @geargrrl bring in the waist and hem the legs.

HeidiGmt

Diva in Training
I did read the other thread suggested by mustski (https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/at-last-tech-clothing-in-real-sizes.17220/), and there was one manufacturer that I'll check out. I posted some comments on that thread, and one was about Junonia. Since Junonia was mentioned in mustski's reply, I'll repeat it here for convenience. Maybe they could use the feedback.

I have tried quite a few things from Junonia over several years, but have always been disappointed--always. I love that they make athletic clothing for large women, but I simply have never found anything that works. I've seen variability in sizing in their clothes, their ski gear is not "high tech" Gore-Tex (or similar), which is one of the problems I'm trying to solve, and they are very expensive for what you're getting. I'm willing to pay a lot for something great, but not something only marginally better than regularly priced stuff. I just donated a pair of never used, very expensive Junonia ski pants that I bought and never got around to returning due to chaotic life issues at the time. They were large enough in the butt/hips, but they came up to my boobs instead of sitting on my waist and the legs were about 9" too long.

That's one problem with plus size clothing in general--most are made larger in all dimensions, as if any plus size woman is an Amazonian warrior. I'm just short and fat. But I am athletic, pretty healthy in spite of weight, and active--I alpine ski, backcountry ski, cross country ski, snowshoe, snowmobile, hike, backpack, work out on treadmill, etc.​

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a size 18-20, 5'5", and have had good luck with Marker size 18 soft shell pants, men's Obermeyer XL (or maybe XXL?) in a short, and men's Columbia XL that I had my seamstress shorten a bit (found at TJ Maxx of all places). Non of them are Gore-Tex, but all have proven to be nicely waterproof, even when skiing in pouring rain. I have started using a pair of Hot Buns when it's really cold or the chairs are covered in snow/crud. Good luck!!

Don't you love that they somehow assume that larger around means 3 feet taller, too? :frusty:

mustski

Angel Diva
I encounter that with jackets! I am only 5'2" and the sleeves are made for a gorilla! How long do they think our arms are?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clothing designers apparently never actually WEAR their own designs, or they're ALL model-sized???

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clothing designers apparently never actually WEAR their own designs, or they're ALL model-sized???

Most clothing designers are men. It's still a very male-dominated industry.

Which is why it's such a big deal for certain clothing lines to advertise that they have female head designers, or "by women/for women". Those are usually the lines that have better fits and more flattering cuts for women.

HeidiGmt

Diva in Training
I e-mailed Columbia about waterproof/breathable ski pants, after looking on their Web site and not finding anything large enough (probably 3X, per their size chart). Here's my e-mail & their reply. I will search online for a pair of either of these pants in a 3X, and if I find one, I might go ahead & order it now to try (even though their inseam is 5" longer than I need, of course), rather than wait for next season. It may take a few tries & returns to find the right thing online.

Columbia,
Do you make 3X (size 22-24) women's ski pants with a waterproof/breathable fabric, like Gore-Tex? I don't see anything on your Web site now, but maybe you're just sold out for the season?
Thansk!

Reply:
Thanks for contacting us regarding our women's ski pant selection. Normally we have the Bugaboot Pant (SW8018), Sur Le Peak II Pant (EW8010), and the Veloca Vixen Pant (SW8017) available in size 3X; they just happen to be sold out on our website for the season.
You may be able to find the pants listed above online at other retailers. If not, the Bugaboo Pants have been reordered for the Fall/Winter 2014 season. There will likely be other new styles introduced next season, as well. If you don't find any ski pants in your size now, check back with us around September 1st.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I love the Columbia pants! I have 1 pair of Bugaboos and 1 Sur le peak. I definitely recommend them. If you can't get them on the columbia website, try ebay. Several outdoor clothing dealers carry the Columbia ski pants in extended sizing. The Columbia website is weird - I feel like everything is sold out within 3 weeks of it appearing...

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Also, @HeidiGmt, where are you located? That might help us suggest some places. I can recommend some places in Canada, and perhaps some of the other divas will know for other cities/states...

Scrapula

Certified Ski Diva
I have a pair of Columbia Bugaboo in 3x. I've been losing weight and I will go to a smaller size for next season. Not sure if we have a buy/sell forum on Ski Divas to list them at the end of the season.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Columbia Bugaboo in 3x. I've been losing weight and I will go to a smaller size for next season. Not sure if we have a buy/sell forum on Ski Divas to list them at the end of the season.
We do, and it's in the Divas Only, Dahling section.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
These are not bad, for the price, and are pretty easy to shorten. I bought a pair and they are warm and seem to be waterproof. Right now they have them in 2XL. I have seen them in 3XL as well, but not on this site presently.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/boulder-gear-boulder-cargo-ski-pants-waterproof-insulated-for-women~p~2653t/?filterString=womens-ski-pants~d~618/sizefamily~general;2xl/&colorFamily=01

If you don't belong to Sierra Trading Post, you should join. Every day you get a coupon for a discount on their already decent prices. Sometimes it may not apply to what you want to purchase, so just wait a few days and you will probably get a coupon that works for you. When you join you might also get some extra deals just for joining.

Several of my friends share a joke that we were all "dressed by Sierra Trading Post".

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ain't that the truth? Best deal ever was my Mountain Force jacket for $159 - regular price $800...

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I see I unknowingly resurrected an old thread, but maybe the info will do someone some good.

I browse STP when they have a great coupon, even though I am so far away from needing anything. You never know what I might find, and be convinced to purchase. In the last couple of days I've probably enabled 2 or 3 friends to buy new skis, though not from STP.

This forum is FUN!!!

I am forever loyal to STP since I found my magnums there for $110, brand new and still shrink wrapped. They have excellent deals.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna