• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Please Help

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had that "hitch" happen to me. I started skiing at 53!

That stuck-ski-hitch thing has been gone for years, but it came back two weekends ago, on one turn - just once. Odd. I'd forgotten all about it, and there it was, the skis were stuck and the new turn wouldn't start. This was at very slow speed and on low-pitch terrain. Go figure. Skiing's just weird sometimes.

I stopped, pushed the imaginary "reset" button, and started again and it was gone. I never figured out the cause of that hitch. At some point I discovered, about 14 years ago, it was gone. When it happened, it was on my left turns.

You'll get past this, because you are a woman on a quest and determined to conquer this thing!

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
It is like being glued. The instructor says move and I can't lol.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice. I am 52 and determined but I wish that were enough to propel me down the slopes. My hubby was three days on skis then whizzing the mountain. Me! Three years and still on the bunny slope! Frustrating.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you for the encouragement and advice. I am 52 and determined but I wish that were enough to propel me down the slopes. My hubby was three days on skis then whizzing the mountain. Me! Three years and still on the bunny slope! Frustrating.
Determination will win out in the end. Especially with help from good instructors.

My friend who started at the same time as her kids had to take the first of a 2-hour lesson package for first-time skiers three times before she was qualified to ride the beginner lift for the 2nd hour. In her case, no extra charge for repeating. But it meant a pretty long day. She continued to work at it a little at a time, skiing two long weekends each season at a very small hill (near Washington DC, 4 hours from where we live). I think it was the 4th season that she was starting to get comfortable on the easiest blue, which is quite short. But she loved skiing enough to take her kids to Alta in Utah for their spring break a few years ago. After a few lessons (group rate but solo with a very experience instructor because it was late season), she was able to ski down the easiest blue. Her husband (and mine) are total non-skiers for assorted reasons. Different skill sets and interests, but it's all good.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is like being glued. The instructor says move and I can't lol.
Here are some suggestions on the psychological front, to add to @liquidfeet's lovely suggestions. Not all of these will help, but one of them might.

1) Practice deep breathing during your regular life, like, all the time: sit comfortably, close your eyes, and breathe slowly and deeply, listening to the sound of the breath. Remind yourself that this is how you breathe when everything is OK, when you are not in any danger. If this helps you relax, you will get to a point where just starting to breathe deeply relaxes you instantly, and, paradoxically, you will find yourself thinking more clearly. Then, do it every time on the bunny hill, just before a run, especially before you make your attempts to go faster on the bunny hill. Once your confidence builds, try it when you are glued on the snow on the next slope up. Sometimes it helps to feel yourself basking in the sun or being caressed by the wind or being invigorated by the cold, whichever way the weather is; imagine the energy being shone/blown into you to give you strength, to assure you that everything is OK.

2) You could use a mantra you can use to remind yourself that it will be OK. For some people, it works better to say that even the worst case scenario will not be that bad. On the bunny hill, for instance, with short skis that beginners use, even if you just straight-line down the hill, you will likely come to a full stop before the lift; not all bunny hills are built this way, but a lot of them are, and that means "there is nothing to fear" because "I will come to a stop". On the green hills, anyone who can hold a wedge can make it down safely; again, "there is nothing to fear" and "I have the skill to do this". For others, it works better to be more pep-talk-y, like "you've got this", or reminders of technique, like "maintain the wedge" and "weight forward". Another good reminder, once you can turn more comfortably, is that "speed is my friend, and makes it easier to turn." And, remember that the beginner slopes are only about 10 degrees or so in steepness; take a look at a protractor, and see just how mild 10 degrees is, make a ramp that is at 10-degree incline, and roll a toy car or a ball down it, and tell yourself "10 degrees is nothing!" Say your mantra out loud if that helps. Say it confidently and firmly, or assuringly and kindly, whichever works. The idea is not for the truth of the mantra to really sink in, but to displace whatever conscious or subconscious self-discouragement you may be saying to yourself. To empty your mind, so to speak.

3) When you are starting a steeper run, point downhill, with a firm pizza, preferably on that top bit where it hasn't quite started sloping down seriously, yet. As you hold your wedge, imagine yourself sliding down at a steady speed. Feel how that would feel on your feet, in your legs, how much strength it would take, exactly how much energy it would take. Let yourself slide down a little, just a little, then sharpen the edges to stop. Once you feel comfortable with your ability to stop, go a little more forward each time. (Remember that it's easier to hold the edge if your body is forward, although your instinct will tell you to go backward. It is the opposite of when you are stepping on the brakes while driving, where you push your body back to push the foot forward; when skiing, your whole body has to put its weight onto the brake pedal, on the balls of your feet, like when you are pressing down on a bike pedal to sprint.) Once you reach a certain speed, you will find that you can no longer stop immediately by wedging; still, you will eventually slow yourself down, or at worst find yourself going down at a steady speed. (It's only 10 degrees!) This is what you are aiming for. Keep yourself going, and congratulate yourself. "There is nothing to fear as long as my speed is steady." Once you can master this, you can add gentle turning with a little weight shift. This whole sequence may teach you some bad habits you need to unlearn later, and can be very tiring, but it will train your brain to firmly believe that you will always have the ability to stop or maintain the speed. (I will let you in a secret, though; the same trick will come back in handy when you are learning some of the more advanced techniques, like side-stepping and rotary turns for very steep hills.)

I hope this helps!

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you all for this helpful advice. I will read and re-read it and take it with me on my next break this March. I love the idea of deep breathing to get re-focused at least I can make a start on practising that before I go. After talking to you guys I dreamed I was skiing in bite size chunks last night lol.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Maggis : has any instructor ever taught you a Hockey Stop? It's often done with kids early on. It becomes a game to try to spray the instructor. At least my daughter was doing it by the second season, when she was 5. I learned to hockey stop during my first season as a teen on straight skis long ago. It was a survival skill since there was no "bunny slope" with minimal pitch. As an adult, it helps to know that there is a way to stop that is much quicker than a wedge. Like all fundamentals, best to practice on very easy terrain. But do need a little speed to make a hockey stop work easily.

Another thought . . . is there any place near by with an indoor ice rink for ice skating? Some of the balance and speed issues are similar.

JessIsTryingToSki

Certified Ski Diva
I recently found this website and forum after I googled "How to deal with fear in skiing."

You sound exactly like me. On new terrain, I turn into granite. My brain freezes, my legs lock and I cannot ski. On green runs, my technique is solid. Increase the pitch and I'm a headcase.

Some minor things help me (and I learned this from an instructor last year when I was trying to get over this.)

1. Deep breathing - this is a good anxiety exercise. It does take regular practice for it to work when you want it to, but it does work. When I'm standing on the lip of a steep drop-in, A few deep breaths will calm the anxiety in my head.

2. Positive self talk. I can ski this. I am capable. My legs are strong. I will stay safe. This is not more difficult than [other runs I've done.] ETA: I look like a nutjob, but I'm actually saying these things out loud.

3. Keep breathing. Do you hold your breath? I do. When I get my breath back, I can usually unlock my legs.

4. Look up. When I turn to granite, I look down. When I look up, it lifts my shoulders and then my chest. The rest of my body relaxes into the athletic stance that I need.

Off the slope, I use visualization to help me. Find a quiet spot (even on the lift) I close my eyes, start deep breathing and imagine myself doing everything correctly on the run that I want to try. Visualization is powerful. When you start rehearsing it your head, it isn't new and scary when you're doing. You've already done it in your head. You can eliminate the fear of the unknown. Again, this takes practice.

I have a long ways to go myself, but these things helped me get off the green runs and onto the blue runs this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a long ways to go myself, but these things helped me get off the green runs and onto the blue runs this season.
Sounds like you are having fun. That's what counts.

Where are you skiing? Curious because trail ratings very quite a bit between regions. A blue in the mid-Atlantic is typically a lot less steep than a blue in the U.S. northeast or in the Rockies.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
Whereabouts in the UK are you?
I wonder whether you’ve considered going to one of the indoor ski slopes...

JessIsTryingToSki

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like you are having fun. That's what counts.

Where are you skiing? Curious because trail ratings very quite a bit between regions. A blue in the mid-Atlantic is typically a lot less steep than a blue in the U.S. northeast or in the Rockies.

Utah. Maybe I should move the the mid-Atlantic. ;)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Utah. Maybe I should move the the mid-Atlantic. ;)
My favorite place out west is Alta. I'll be there for an annual late season trip in April. It's a much better place to learn than the mid-Atlantic. My friend who started skiing at Massanutten (northern VA) when her kids were 4 and 6 had great group lessons at Alta during their first trip out west a couple years ago. She had 3 solo lessons in a row (midweek) with the same L3 instructor (25+ years of experience). He had her skiing the easiest way down off Sugarloaf at the end of the first lesson. And they skied off Supreme (when Cecret still existed) the second and third days.

There is an ongoing thread for Utah. Hope you post first hand snow reports there every so often.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...-travel-planning-snow-conditions-deals.23238/

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
@Maggis : has any instructor ever taught you a Hockey Stop? It's often done with kids early on. It becomes a game to try to spray the instructor. At least my daughter was doing it by the second season, when she was 5. I learned to hockey stop during my first season as a teen on straight skis long ago. It was a survival skill since there was no "bunny slope" with minimal pitch. As an adult, it helps to know that there is a way to stop that is much quicker than a wedge. Like all fundamentals, best to practice on very easy terrain. But do need a little speed to make a hockey stop work easily.

Another thought . . . is there any place near by with an indoor ice rink for ice skating? Some of the balance and speed issues are similar.

Hi there, tried hockey stop and will keep practising it. Think I was going to slow. Yep there is an ice rink will see if they have a quiet time - good idea.

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
@Maggis - how are you at going downhill on a bike? Do you have problems with heights generally?

I was considering doing this course (I'm based in the UK for part of the year) to help get more comfortable with steeper terrain - wondering if it might help you?
https://www.will4adventure.com/overcome-fear-heights/

Will look at the link. I think heights is definitely part of the issue been a while since I have gone down a big hill on a bike.

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
I recently found this website and forum after I googled "How to deal with fear in skiing."

You sound exactly like me. On new terrain, I turn into granite. My brain freezes, my legs lock and I cannot ski. On green runs, my technique is solid. Increase the pitch and I'm a headcase.

Some minor things help me (and I learned this from an instructor last year when I was trying to get over this.)

1. Deep breathing - this is a good anxiety exercise. It does take regular practice for it to work when you want it to, but it does work. When I'm standing on the lip of a steep drop-in, A few deep breaths will calm the anxiety in my head.

2. Positive self talk. I can ski this. I am capable. My legs are strong. I will stay safe. This is not more difficult than [other runs I've done.] ETA: I look like a nutjob, but I'm actually saying these things out loud.

3. Keep breathing. Do you hold your breath? I do. When I get my breath back, I can usually unlock my legs.

4. Look up. When I turn to granite, I look down. When I look up, it lifts my shoulders and then my chest. The rest of my body relaxes into the athletic stance that I need.

Off the slope, I use visualization to help me. Find a quiet spot (even on the lift) I close my eyes, start deep breathing and imagine myself doing everything correctly on the run that I want to try. Visualization is powerful. When you start rehearsing it your head, it isn't new and scary when you're doing. You've already done it in your head. You can eliminate the fear of the unknown. Again, this takes practice.

Thank you for these tips will add them to the list. Seems we both have led legs syndrome :smile:

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maggis,
Have you tried "Making a Molehill into a Mountain"? Go to a slope where you know you can turn. Make a turn. Then ski straight down hill until you feel you are going fast and turn to a stop. At first it might be going straight for just a count of 1-2. Then lengthen it out to going straight for a count of three before you turn. Eventually you will be going very fast on your molehill then turning to a stop. This should help develop your confidence in your ability to turn, without putting you over your head.
Only then do you move onto something slightly steeper, and do a turn to a stop, and a turn stop until you are comfortable again.
The great thing about skiing is you can proceed at your own pace.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Maggis - I started skiing 3 years ago, at 62. Not very fit and never athletic. I’ve been very scared on the mountain, too. If you think about it, it only makes sense to be frightened!

I have 2 suggestions. One, google “fight, flight or freeze.” You will discover that your legs turning to lead is a completely natural, common response to fear, in humans and all over the animal kingdom. It’s not a conscious choice, but it mediated by the “old brain,” sometimes called the “lizard brain,” that controls things like heartbeat and breathing.

Second, do more visualizing of skiing down a hill (not a steep mountain). Imagine yourself stopping and enjoying the scenery. Imagine that happy scene you described, when you were really enjoying the imagery. Imagine slowing down with your wedge, and stopping mid-hill.

If you get really good st that, you could try feeling a tiny bit scared (in your imagination) but slowing and enjoying it anyway. And maybe add in that downhill feeling, and see if you can do that without panic.

Good for you for being so persistent! Stick to non-terrifying hills, until your confidence builds. Being scared over and over won’t improve things.

Best of luck!

@liquidfeet - I think I need a lesson with you!

ElizaK

Diva in Training
Hi there from the UK, I am really hoping you can help me. I have been skiing four times now a week each time and each time has been more or less not good.

The thing is I really want to ski.

I have almost perfected the tiny bunny hill and I mean nearly flat. But anytime I get on anything that has a slight gradient, my legs turn to lead and suddenly I can’t turn. I can actually hardly move, it is literally like having lead legs.

The group instructor says I am more than capable but every time I get on anything marginally step, like a bump, it all goes out the window. I dream about letting go and enjoying going down the hill but it becomes a huge stress. Twice before I went to group lessons and didn’t last the week because I hurt my knees. This time I was ok however on the fourth day, we ventured off the bunny slope and the same thing happened. Leg freeze end up frightened of slipping, hold the whole class up and turn to lead. Feel shame holding the group up and my family wondering when I will ever pass go. (Although they do marvel that I keep coming back :smile: )

I am 52 and have a dream - to ski. I have also had private instruction and don’t seem able to get over this. Take my hubby and son, first week and they were skiing red runs.

Any help please, please, please as we are heading off skiing again in March and back to beginners again for the fourth time! The tow rope is killing my arms and I just want to ski :(

Much Appreciated
Maggie

Hi Maggie ,
You may want to read my post above about my on hill panic attacks . You are not alone and if you take one thing from my story , please let it be the fact that despite my overwhelming episodes of fear , I have progressed and I still love skiing .
I dont have all the answers but here is what I have learned about ski fear
1. Fear is natural and essential to survival , don t try and supress it but train past it ie keep training and your fear will only emerge on increasingly difficult terrain
2. Dont ski with male family members ALL the time , men are generally less fearful than women and tend to push women beyond their comfort level too soon . Sometimes thats a good thing as it pushes the less confident skier to be their best and sometimes it backfires and makes the less confident skier even more fearful
3. If a steep slope scares you , its usually because the turn you just did , did not feel right and your legs sensed it and your brain then over reacted
4. On the steeps -Try 'socks' - Socks is a technique where you slowly lean down and touch the top of your downhill boot with your downhill hand as you go into the turn , keep it there until you complete the turn and then do it again with your new downhill hand as you go into the next turn . This has the effect of getting your body weight over your downhill ski where it needs to be
5 . If you love skiing you WILL advance , you may need more lessons than your husband and son but 'what the hell' , if you need more lessons - take more lessons . Dont worry about the husband and son - who knows what they actually ski like on those red runs - could be great or could be all bravado, poor technique and untold stories of falls and blunders !!!
6 . Private lessons can sometimes be less helpful than group lessons . Having a better technique level than confidence level can result in one to one instruction taking you into territory that is fitting to your level of technical skill but above your level of confidence. Instructors generally dont understand fear well and so when they see you skiing well they head off to adventurous terrain and cant understand why you freeze up . I recall a situation when I skied a black run in Whistler with some style and then refused point blank to jump into a back bowl and left my instructor totally bewildered while I skied home early down a gentle green . If I had been in a group he probably wont have headed for the back bowls !!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna