• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Please Help

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
Hi there from the UK, I am really hoping you can help me. I have been skiing four times now a week each time and each time has been more or less not good.

The thing is I really want to ski.

I have almost perfected the tiny bunny hill and I mean nearly flat. But anytime I get on anything that has a slight gradient, my legs turn to lead and suddenly I can’t turn. I can actually hardly move, it is literally like having lead legs.

The group instructor says I am more than capable but every time I get on anything marginally step, like a bump, it all goes out the window. I dream about letting go and enjoying going down the hill but it becomes a huge stress. Twice before I went to group lessons and didn’t last the week because I hurt my knees. This time I was ok however on the fourth day, we ventured off the bunny slope and the same thing happened. Leg freeze end up frightened of slipping, hold the whole class up and turn to lead. Feel shame holding the group up and my family wondering when I will ever pass go. (Although they do marvel that I keep coming back :smile: )

I am 52 and have a dream - to ski. I have also had private instruction and don’t seem able to get over this. Take my hubby and son, first week and they were skiing red runs.

Any help please, please, please as we are heading off skiing again in March and back to beginners again for the fourth time! The tow rope is killing my arms and I just want to ski :(

Much Appreciated
Maggie

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am 52 and have a dream - to ski. I have also had private instruction and don’t seem able to get over this. Take my hubby and son, first week and they were skiing red runs.

Any help please, please, please as we are heading off skiing again in March and back to beginners again for the fourth time! The tow rope is killing my arms and I just want to ski :(
Welcome! Where are you going in March?

Good for you for wanted to get over the hump. What other sports have you done in the past? Have you done any balance or core strength exercises. For instance, can you stand on 1-leg for more than 5 secs, 10 secs, 30 secs? Meaning indoors, not with ski boots and skis on.

While strength is not needed to become a better skier, having good balance, flexibility, and core strength makes it easier to control your body and can help with confidence.

Check out the self-test in the article below. This is from an organizations in Vail, CO that specializes in teaching older skiers to go a little beyond their comfort zone.

https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/2015/07/are-you-ready-for-ski-season-consider.html

FYI, I started my blog when I was over 55. Skied very little as a working adult. Started taking more lessons after a knee injury (not related to skiing) after age 50. Have been taking ski trips with a friend who started skiing in her 40s when her kids started (ages 4 and 6). She doesn't ski much but loves it and with the help of lessons managed to get over the hump and off green (easiest) trails in her third season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have almost perfected the tiny bunny hill and I mean nearly flat. But anytime I get on anything that has a slight gradient, my legs turn to lead and suddenly I can’t turn. I can actually hardly move, it is literally like having lead legs.

The group instructor says I am more than capable but every time I get on anything marginally step, like a bump, it all goes out the window. I dream about letting go and enjoying going down the hill but it becomes a huge stress.
The best book for getting ideas for overcoming fear is by Mermer Blakeslee. It was originally called the Yikes! Zone and was geared to skiers. But the second version is called A Conversation with Fear and actually applies to life in general. However, the examples are all from her experience as a ski instructor. Blakeslee not only teaches people in public clinics, she also trains ski instructors.

https://www.amazon.com/Conversation-Fear-Mermer-Blakeslee/dp/1522679820

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
Hi There, thanks for the tips. We are going to Soldeu in Andorra been there a few times now. I am doing body pump at the moment to tighten up and also working on core. (Am also enrolled in slimming world as need to lose a bit of excess). I just seem to really freeze up and almost cannot move at the slightest 'hill'. It is like having lead legs. Trying to go across the hill to get to the slight blue that looked like a mountain was a challenge.

mustski

Angel Diva
Welcome! I experience that same feeling anytime I get into territory that frightens me. What I usually do is go back to terrain that gives me confidence and just ski that over and over. Work on building your confidence and don't stress about being on the bunny run. Work on connecting your turns (linking them) and then try going a little faster. Work on skiing it top to bottom without stopping. Work on looking ahead and not at your skis. Try making big wide turns and short faster turns. The more confident you get, the less likely you will freeze. I would say skip the lessons for now. Just go play on the bunny run and progress at your own speed. Take your next lesson when you are ready to move to harder terrain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We are going to Soldeu in Andorra been there a few times now.
So the only beginner run requires a rope tow? I'm not familiar with the set up for beginners in Europe in general. So I don't have any idea how steep a beginner run might be at Soldeu. In the U.S. most ski areas have a "magic carpet" for beginners these days. But I learned long ago on a slope that would be considered intermediate, not beginner.

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Mustski, I think you are right, I will maybe just practice over and over doing the turns and then on the short but steep hill on my own. Then I can maybe get an instructor in the afternoon to tackle the one which I freaked on and just do it. The bunny hill is so short though but I guess I just need to keep at it. In saying that, even that bunny hill had me freaked the first few years so I am getting a wee bit better :smile: thank you.

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
So the only beginner run requires a rope tow? I'm not familiar with the set up for beginners in Europe in general. So I don't have any idea how steep a beginner run might be at Soldeu. In the U.S. most ski areas have a "magic carpet" for beginners these days. But I learned long ago on a slope that would be considered intermediate, not beginner.

This slope has a tow rope and the kids slope has a magic carpet. There is also a button lift on part of the bunny slopes this area is very short more of a quick burst than a run.

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a believer that sometimes fear is trying to tell you something. Make sure your boots are tight enough and that your muscles are fit enough. Those things stop me in my tracks.
Have been trying hard to work on fitness it is almost like the fear of heights!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Maggis (Maggie?), I have some questions for you, and will follow up with some suggestions. Please forgive me if you've already given the answers.

1. How many times have you gone skiing? How long did you ski each time?
2. Did you go to an indoor slope, or somewhere else?
3. Were you working with an instructor, either alone or with a group, any of these times?
4. Did you learn to make turns, or just to go straight?
5. If you learned to make turns, did you successfully turn in both directions, or just one?
6. What did you do to slow down and stop?
7. I am assuming you are in rental boots. Did they hurt? Did you get bruises on your shins? Did you have trouble getting the boot cuffs to fit around your lower legs?
8. Did you wear more than one pair of socks on each foot? Did you stuff thermals down into the boot cuffs?
9. Did you have sore muscles after any of these skiing days? If so, which muscles?
10. Did you rent skis? How long were they? If you had set them upright, did they come to your chin or lower or higher?
11. Did you use or carry poles as you were skiing, or were you learning without poles?
12. Did you ski in a wedge or snowplow? If yes, could you hold the wedge, or did your skis wobble back and forth as if they had a mind of their own?
13. Were you cold while skiing? If so, did you wear a helmet, goggles, and a neck gaiter?
14. One more question. How many times did you fall each time you skied? How did you get up? Did getting up make you out of breath and extremely tired?

Last edited:

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
1. Been four weeks in total. Probably only managed about two - three hours a day. Increased this on last trip.
2. Yes I tried there but still having issues even going to the top of the indoor slope!
3. Yes in group and individual instructors. They often say it is a confidence issue!
4. Had rental boots to begin with but have bought my own now and was virtually pain free on last trip which was at Christmas and this increased my ski time. Did have serious issues previously with calf pain but not this time. Just a bit of burning sensation under toes.
5. Only one pair of socks thermals were slightly in the boots yes.
6. Sore quads mainly but not too bad last trip.
7. Yes rented. I asked for skis a little lower than my chin this time.
8. I had poles but I did put them aside which I actually found a lot easier to deal with. However on all my freezes I have had poles yes.
9. Yes snowplough ski's do wobble when at the higher speed. Can get to parallel but again only on the really easy two seconds and it is over slope. Can turn fine on the almost flat slope!
10. No I wasn't cold at all.

Hope this helps

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Been four weeks in total. Probably only managed about two - three hours a day. Increased this on last trip. That's good. You're making progress.
2. Yes I tried there but still having issues even going to the top of the indoor slope! Sounds like fear. Don't go to the top. Work on building speed on the terrain where you have more confidence at first. You can do that on the bottom half of the slope. Your goal can be making turns while going faster on the least intimidating terrain, and slowing down from that faster speed, and stopping on command after slowing down. Do this over and over and over until you are totally secure feeling, until you don't lose the wedge at all, and until ou are totally bored. Keep speeding up, and when you can't get your skis to go any faster, sneak up a little higher, and go slow again. Repeat! This is how you can build confidence. It's a matter of knowing that you can with safety trust your movements and your skis will do what you ask them to do.
3. Yes in group and individual instructors. They often say it is a confidence issue! I think they are right, but no one can manufacture confidence out of thin air. Work on building confidence at higher speeds on the terrain you can manage now. This is Mermer's "lower the task" approach.
4. Had rental boots to begin with but have bought my own now and was virtually pain free on last trip which was at Christmas and this increased my ski time. Did have serious issues previously with calf pain but not this time. Just a bit of burning sensation under toes. Glad to hear that you don't have pain. The burning sensation under your toes may be from Morton's Neuroma. A bootfitter can make custom footbeds that can make that pain go away. If the burning doesn't go away, read up on Morton's Neuroma, and go ask a bootfitter in a ski shop to make custom footbeds that will make it go away. This usually works.
5. Only one pair of socks thermals were slightly in the boots yes. Good. One pair of socks is perfect. But take the thermals out of the cuffs and clamp the cuffs against your sock-covered lower legs. You need that contact to be snuggggg! The snugger they fit, the more control you have over your skis with your feet and lower legs. Even if the thermals have a loop to go under the foot, you can shove them up, loop and all, and let the loop bunch up around your lower leg above the boot. You won't suffer from more cold down there when the thermals are outside and above the boot, I promise.
6. Sore quads mainly but not too bad last trip. Sore quads are a sign of being in the back seat. This comes from caution (aka fear). It's natural. Assume you need to continue to fight the unconscious and very VERY strong urge, to pull your body back behind your feet. When you do this, you'll end up hip-on-snow. Skiing requires a new way of balancing, and we have to train our bodies to do that new thing. It feels very insecure at first.
7. Yes rented. I asked for skis a little lower than my chin this time. Good! Keep doing that.
8. I had poles but I did put them aside which I actually found a lot easier to deal with. Indeed yes, it's SO MUCH EASIER to learn to ski without poles. However on all my freezes I have had poles yes. So ditch the poles. They don't offer the protection people think they do. They mess with people's heads and cause new skiers to wobble their arms around, which throws them off balance and makes them fall down. Poles also shut down the mind's ability to pay attention to what the feet and legs are doing, because the brain is so used to focusing on what the hands do all day long. I'm an instructor and teach beginner adults. This is a very common thing. Get rid of the poles! Leave them at home.
9. Yes snowplough ski's do wobble when at the higher speed. This can be because you get overly cautious at speed and move your body back behind your feet. Work on hovering your weight over the fronts of the skis.
But losing the wedge can also be caused by boots-too-loose. Both of these causes are quite common.
Loose boots work like a loose steering wheel. "Loose" means the boots can be too wide, they can be too tall over the foot, they can be too long, and the cuffs can be too loose around the lowest part of your leg, just above the ankle. When any of these are in effect, there will be a lag time between when your foot/leg moves and when your ski moves. That can allow the skis to do what they want without your permission during that lag time, and once they start doing that the snow grabs them and you've got naughty skis wobbling around with a mind of their own. If you visit a bootfitter to get custom footbeds, ask about the boots fitting correctly.
Can get to parallel but again only on the really easy two second and it is over slope. Can turn fine on the almost flat slope! So you are working on skiing parallel. Great. But don't worry about staying parallel yet. Moving back and forth from wedge to parallel is fine at this point in your development. There is no shame!
10. No I wasn't cold at all. Good! Cold can shut down people's awareness of what their feet and body parts are doing. I teach in New England, where it gets very cold, and see people shut down when they are underdressed. There's a saying: There is no such thing as too cold to ski. There's just underdressed to ski. Glad you are well-covered.

A few more questions.
11. Did you buy the boots from a shop where a bootfitter chose the boot for you?
(If so, did the bootfitter take the liner out and have you put your foot into the plastic shell,
barefooted, to check the fit? This is called a shell-check. It helps the bootfitter make
sure the boot's shell matches your foot in all three dimensions, length, width, and height.)
12. How do you slow down?
13. How do you stop?

Last edited:

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for this great advice which I will take.

Boots were at ski boot fitter - I got custom foot beds too.

A few questions

1. Can you explain why I turn to led and have difficulty moving on?

2. Should I go back into beginers group (again) on this trip or just practice alone then take a few private lessons?

Thanks for the great tips.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A private lesson might help. Ask for a very experienced teacher who works well with timid adults. "Timid" is the word we often use to mean people having trouble with being overly cautious.

Oh, I added some more questions to that post up there.

Last edited:

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you I am going to put this into action. I mean thank you, thank you a million. I feel like I have hope now.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots were at ski boot fitter - I got custom foot beds too. Excellent.

A few questions

1. Can you explain why I turn to led and have difficulty moving on? Nope. Don't know for sure. Could be because your turn mechanics are not yet strong, and you are rightly feeling insecure. Or could be because your boots are too loose. Or could be ... well, just because. Do you actually freeze up? As in, panic attack? Or do you bravely try to get the turn started but it won't start, as if the skis are stuck to the snow? If that's happening, you might have moved farther into the back seat because of the terrain feeling more threatening.
2. Should I go back into beginers group (again) on this trip or just practice alone then take a few private lessons? It might be time for a private lesson. You aren't letting your husband try to teach you, are you?

Thanks for the great tips.

Maggis

Certified Ski Diva
1. As if the skis are stuck in the snow.
2. No way - I have had three private lessons, three attempts at group and still get stuck! Fails.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna