• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Please help me decide!

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
I am resuming my search for a third ski to augment my DPS Yvette 112s and Volkl Blaze 106. I want a 90-100 mm all mountain ski for the less-than-great days at our local resort. This means 70% groomers or tracked out snow, some bumps, and the occasional side stash. I do NOT need these skis for powder or touring (I have other skis for that) but I usually ski fairly soft snow.

I am 58 year old advanced, directional, strong but finesse skier; favour a forward stance. I don't slarve or slash and keep my skis fairly close to the snow. I love steeps, soft bumps and decently spaced trees.

I'm looking for something that is:
1. Poppy (has rebound) out of turns and in the bumps
2. Loves to carve sm-med radius turns at moderate speed (easy to engage tip);
2. Not too chattery at a higher speed (I don't pin it) but I don't want damp/dead either
3. Fun in the bumps so not too stiff in the tail;
4. As light as possible given what else I want.

Based on advice received here late last year, a couple of demo days, and more reading, I have narrowed my search down to the following three skis which I THINK are fairly similar. I've tried to order them from most "forgiving" to most "demanding". I'd appreciate advice from Divas!

My lineup:
1. Range 94 FR or the newer 96
2. 4FRNT MSP CC 99 (Blister members get 20% off so I'm very tempted)
3. Faction Dancer 2 96 (formerly the Dictator)

I've eliminated the following because I think they are too stiff:
1. Nordica Santa Ana 93 or 98
2. Blizzard Black Pearl 97 or 88
3. Volkl Secret 96

Thoughts?

Last edited:

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would you like to join me on a '21 Faction CT adventure? :laughter:Not to add more confusion to your list, but there is a VERY long thread on skitalk singing its praises on all of your points. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2021-faction-candide-3-0-2-0-and-1-0-reviews.23385/

Down to $261-$277 at The-House.com plus you can use your “mailing list” coupon code for another 15% off.
I just picked up a pair for $260 total (including tax & free shipping). At that price, it was worth the experiment for me.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
That's an amazing deal so I'll check out the Ski Talk review but my impression from elsewhere is they are too stiff. Reading ....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
How about Black Crow Camox Birdie
Or Blizzard Sheeva 9?

Reactions: AJM

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's an amazing deal so I'll check out the Ski Talk review but my impression from elsewhere is they are too stiff. Reading ....
From what I read, the CT has an unusual flex pattern. "Most skis are softer tip/tail and then peak to much stiffer underfoot. The '21 CT line are stiffer than most at the extreme tip/tail then gradually increase underfoot to a lower peak and down again towards the tails. Find you get no tip deflection when skiing fast over rough terrain yet when off piste, they are less demanding if you’re not perfect in technique in the bumps etc. It tends to flex stiff in the tips & tails (not as stiff as the Dictator though) but has a softer midsection which really becomes apparent in the bumps."

Compared to Dictator: "Similar Poplar wood core (well known for a “poppy feel”) in both but the CT 1.0 adds damper, heavier Beech wood underfoot and rubber sheets tip/tail and underfoot. Similar camber height on both as well so the CT 1.0 will be a smoother, more solid feel that’s still playful with pop. Will be a more controlled trampoline and way quieter over hard snow with the rubber dampening. If you have followed the Peak ski thread, this is what they are TRYING to achieve with their skis. Looks like they won’t be as successful with their core/sidewall height not staying as consistent near the tip/tail areas though."

Anyway, thought I'd mention it since prices are so low. Sis-in-law also picked up the MSP CC end of last season so I'll see how she likes that too. Wish we were the same size! I will definitely report back next season.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@chasinghorizons The CT 1.0 sounds like it could work but I'm not familiar with the CT line so would have to go down a rabbit hole of reviews to understand it more. I could be off base, but my impression is that it comes from a more freestyle background, favours a more centered stance (which is not me) and as a result, is fundamentally different to the more directional skis I'm considering.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@santacruz skier Thanks for the suggestions. I think the Sheeva 9 and Camox Birdie are both great skis, and I've considered/demo'd both, but again, they are more freestyle oriented so less appropriate for the way I ski (and what I want) then the ones on my list.

Of note: I should also add "crud busting/less deflection" to my list of attributes which means the lighter like these are out-performed by the ones on my list. It is a such a confusing puzzle of tradeoffs!

My thinking is that if I get feedback that one/two of the skis on my list aren't going to give me what I'm looking for, I will replace them with other recommendations, but for now, would love to hear what thoughts are on the ones I've picked.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@chasinghorizons The CT 1.0 sounds like it could work but I'm not familiar with the CT line so would have to go down a rabbit hole of reviews to understand it more. I could be off base, but my impression is that it comes from a more freestyle background, favours a more centered stance (which is not me) and as a result, is fundamentally different to the more directional skis I'm considering.
The nice thing about Faction is all their skis come with 3 different mount points. This goes for the Dictator/Dancer line too and is very important. The mount point marked on the Dictator is their traditional line and it is the furthest back - they say it works best for very directional skiers. HOWEVER, if you mount there, the ski will really prefer a forward driving stance all the time, which is not the best for off-piste or if you are feeling more cautious. If you mount here, you are really going to feel that stiff tail. I would move it up to at least progressive (+1.5) and maybe even further to their "new school" point (+3) which is still almost -8 from center, so not really new school lol. Or somewhere in between those two points. I currently have my D2s mounted traditional by accident because the shop didn't realize that the marked line wasn't progressive (it's confusing because Faction generally recommends progressive but marks traditional! Luckily I think they changed this on their 2023 models). I've enjoyed my D3s much more at progressive but have sometimes wanted to go even more forward for more pivotability, so I will probably remount my D2s somewhere between +2 and +3. In Luke's Blister review of the Dancer 2, he said he preferred the newschool mount and didn't notice any compromises in being able to drive the ski.

On the CT models, it's a bit different. The marked line is their newschool mount point and you want to go BACK from that, not forward. You're right that the CT has freestyle origins, but if you mount back -3, it supposedly becomes very directional-friendly. Lots of very directional skiers on that thread trying a twin tip for the first time and loving it. And crud-busting is generally one of people's favorite attributes about it :smile:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@rivarunnamomma are you still in the Gea's? or did you get new boots? I think that was part of the equation in your prior post about demoing skis previously. I have not been on any of the skis you mentioned up post so I can't comment on that. I did see that you demo'd a K2 - was the K2 mindbender 98 something that could work?

Honestly, that current deal mentioned by @chasinghorizons on the '21 CT 1.0 for what you want seems like a risk I would take. I don't think they are too "freeride" as most of the others who enjoy seem to be in the "directional skier" camp. In fact discussion about the "directionalness/carving"for that particular ski in the '21 3.0 version is why I went with the Momment Bella's instead. That being said, if I hadn't recently purchased the Black Crow Orbs I probably would have picked up the '21 CT 1.0

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@WaterGirl Good memory! I haven't bought a new pair of boots yet as selection was very limited by the time I had the epiphany last spring that my Gea's were not the right boots to drive the skis I wanted. I went to see a boot fitter last year (I added him to the Diva list). He says he has a good idea of what will work for me, but encouraged me to wait until he had a full selection this fall. So that is my first priority ... with new skis to follow right after. He is also the person who suggested I go below 100 mm underfoot in order to get the quickness edge to edge I'm looking for.
Honestly, that current deal mentioned by @chasinghorizons on the '21 CT 1.0 for what you want seems like a risk I would take. I don't think they are too "freeride" as most of the others who enjoy seem to be in the "directional skier" camp. In fact discussion about the "directionalness/carving"for that particular ski in the '21 3.0 version is why I went with the Momment Bella's instead. That being said, if I hadn't recently purchased the Black Crow Orbs I probably would have picked up the '21 CT 1.0
You're right, the CT's are a great deal. I wonder if they would ship to Canada?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm leaning towards the Ranger 94 FR or if you can find it, the 92Ti / 99Ti (discontinued in 2021 for shorter women's sizes). Helped my ski wife & her husband land on the 94 FR and 102 FR, respectively. Definitely lots of pop and rebound, but still a directional ski with a race pedigree under the hood. I haven't skied them, but based on my love for the Yvette Alchemist 112 and Atris Birdie, the 94 FR looks like my dream low tide ski. (My ski wife's other ride is the poppy-yet-directional Backland 109 FR, and her husband has a pair of chargier Noctas and a pair of Dynastar M-Free 108s that also seem to share that "good-blend-of-directional-and-progressive-elements" vibe). My only pause is that 94's closest companions would be the Camox & Sheeva 9 (Ranger would be a little less loose, little less forgiving, and have a higher top end). The 92Ti or 99Ti would be a bigger departure with a bit more rearward mount point (-8.8 vs. -7.4) and less rocker in the tail (28mm vs 39mm). Titanal's just a metal strip narrower than the ski is wide. (Similar to the Santa Ana design, except instead of titanal spanning the full tips of the ski, the Rangers use carbon).

I haven't seen a ton of info yet on the new Rangers, but I've had a gal guest writing for me who loved the old 102 FR and has found the new model a lot softer and less directional. I've heard the flex varies across the line a bit, but reports have been really varied between on-snow reviews and "reviews" that are regurgitating Fischer's "they're all for experts" marketing message. IMO, several review outlets do a much better job at selling Fischer skis than Fischer does, and it's going to be a few months before we really know how they perform.

I'd skip the CTs. They're a symmetrical flex where the flex pattern in the tips and tails is identical. Great for spinning tricks or skiing switch, but based on everything you've written, it sounds like a directional flex pattern is more up your alley.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@Analisa Thanks so much! Great advice on what I should get and a good explanation of why I should pass on the CTs, despite the crazy low price. Much appreciated!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any difference between the 94 FR and 94 FR W ... or just top sheet?
Nope - 2021 they collapsed their gendered lines into a single line with alternate topsheets. 2019/2020 season, they used the same ski but marketed it as different genders. Anything before that is a super watered down option that’s really light, chattery, and struggles in variable conditions (widths are 98 and 89, IIRC)

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would the K2 Mindbender 89Ti be one to consider demoing? The new update is considerably different from last year - more turny, energetic yet stable and it's definitely softer than the new Kenja and BP88, in my opinion.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@scandium The Mindbender comes up consistently in lists of skis I’m considering. Sounds like an option but I have no experience with K2s since I was 11 so I tend to look at other brands. I am going to wait for some demo days before next step … and I’ll report back. It’s going to be a while …1B4F939C-C092-4593-9609-C1A3F7672B94.jpeg

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@scandium The Mindbender comes up consistently in lists of skis I’m considering. Sounds like an option but I have no experience with K2s since I was 11 so I tend to look at other brands. I am going to wait for some demo days before next step … and I’ll report back. It’s going to be a while …View attachment 19420
That's fair - I always thought of them as a park and freeride brand up until trying the Mindbenders last year and realising they could make decent piste and all-mountain skis!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly