• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Please educate me on skiing near Denver?

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Hey, would really appreciate some insights on a potential ski trip! I’m being sent to Denver for a work course on Friday April 7. I’d be coming from Calgary and husband was thinking to join me and make a ski weekend of it somewhere

What hills, if any, still typically have ok skiing that late? I looked up the closure dates, but don’t know one Colorado ski hill from another except for the “big” names of course but even then don’t know much of them.

Open to staying in Denver and driving or staying closer to the hill. We’re both strong intermediate skiers, can do any black but the double diamonds aren’t our thing. Lake Louise is our home hill and we usually do about 25-40 days/year if that helps narrow down what we may like. Thanks!

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband did a mid-April trip to Vail (coupled with a work trip) and found REALLY cheap on-mountain lodging. Check on the website when things close, but in general, I think CO mountains closing in April do so because lack of skiers, not lack of snow.

Jilly

Staff member
OMG - so many options. Dillion - A Basin, Breck, Vail, Copper, Keystone, Loveland. And the drive is shorter than your drive to LL. But - elevation is higher than Banff...be prepared.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Do not get the cheapest rental car - get something with enough horsepower to get up the inclines on I-70! Preferably AWD. But make sure you check into what the parking fees are at your hotel. You can also look into the various ski bus options that run from Denver to the various resorts, especially if you don't want to rent a car.

Plan to drive at least 90 minutes one way to get to ski.

I stayed in Blackhawk (further into the mountains) and skied Loveland, Keystone, and Winter Park in November My trip reports are here: Keystone , Winter Park , Loveland

Arapahoe Basin and Loveland seem to have some of the longest seasons in the US, sometimes skiing into May. Those two are "day trip" resorts (no onsite lodging.)

Probably not too bad that late in the season, but expect crowds on a Saturday at any of these resorts if snow situation is good.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
OMG - so many options. Dillion - A Basin, Breck, Vail, Copper, Keystone, Loveland. And the drive is shorter than your drive to LL. But - elevation is higher than Banff...be prepared.
Good to hear so many choices…but be prepared for what? I’m naive clearly lol

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Do not get the cheapest rental car - get something with enough horsepower to get up the inclines on I-70! Preferably AWD. But make sure you check into what the parking fees are at your hotel. You can also look into the various ski bus options that run from Denver to the various resorts, especially if you don't want to rent a car.

Plan to drive at least 90 minutes one way to get to ski.

I stayed in Blackhawk (further into the mountains) and skied Loveland, Keystone, and Winter Park in November My trip reports are here: Keystone , Winter Park , Loveland

Arapahoe Basin and Loveland seem to have some of the longest seasons in the US, sometimes skiing into May. Those two are "day trip" resorts (no onsite lodging.)

Probably not too bad that late in the season, but expect crowds on a Saturday at any of these resorts if snow situation is good.
Thank you for the tips!

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in Colorado.

In April, your best bets are Loveland, A-Basin or Breck.

Loveland is an hour drive from Denver with A Basin and Breck a bit farther. You could stay in Silverthorne or Dillon and choose the place with the best conditions.

There is the Snowstang from Denver - not sure where drop off points are. A car is better.

Feel free to PM with questions.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Tunnel on I-70 and traffic.. recommend timing your drive so that Just in case the tunnel is closed you have plenty of time. Loveland is on the Denver side of the tunnel so you'll get back to the airport. Not sure if traffic slows down in April? I've been to Co in Jan and Feb. We stayed in Frisco- on the Reservoir, easy to get to Breck, we took a bus to Keystone one Snowy day when I 70 was a parking lot. Copper is also close by- that ski day it took us over 2hrs to get from Copper back to the condo because of traffic on I-70. BUT Skiing is Great! Coming from LL you'll enjoy it for sure- So many mountains.. Ski Cooper is a fun mt not $$$ Our 10Th mt trained there. Have a great trip.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski mostly at Winter Park -it’s been great in April for the last 5 or so years- usually extending opening well into May.
People get bored with skiing by then and are ready for warm days on the front range so crowds really dwindle. Traffic can be a pain though so I would suggest staying up there if you can- but the drive’s not bad- I skied today and drove down the hill. Probably 90 minutes.

If you’re going to be in Denver for a few days first that will really help with altitude acclimatizing. Drink lots of water.

Let me know if you have more questions- we’re heading to Lake Louise in March- so we can trade info.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
I ski mostly at Winter Park -it’s been great in April for the last 5 or so years- usually extending opening well into May.
People get bored with skiing by then and are ready for warm days on the front range so crowds really dwindle. Traffic can be a pain though so I would suggest staying up there if you can- but the drive’s not bad- I skied today and drove down the hill. Probably 90 minutes.

If you’re going to be in Denver for a few days first that will really help with altitude acclimatizing. Drink lots of water.

Let me know if you have more questions- we’re heading to Lake Louise in March- so we can trade info.
Thanks for the tips! What about in February? Looks like my trip has changed to week of Feb 20 so I may be able to sneak away from Denver for a weekday to ski. may open up some other hill options?

Hopefully by March the conditions have improved at LL and more of the hill is open for you guys! Today was the best day so far this season for us, but it was still like late Nov/early Dec skiing for a typical year. Lots of icey spots, rocks and closed runs still. It’s not a bust though, you can still have fun! I found lots of soft snow today sticking to the sides of the run and the front side greens and blues are all good to have fun on. Happy to answer any questions as you plan your trip too! Meadowlark and Old Ptarmigan are my favourite run suggestions. Boomerang bowl if you can see (that’s the chair that goes to the highest peak!)

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing has been great this year! Feb should be really good. What kind of terrain/ vibe is your favorite? Definitely a weekday is better! Is there a ski pass you are trying to ski on (IKON/ EPIC etc)

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Hey, nope no ski pass to follow so I’m flexible. I like “interesting” blues and blacks, by that I mean not just straight downs. I don’t mind steep but I like it when there’s variety like turns in the run and varying pitch. Since I’ll be skiing alone I think I’ll just stick to groomers rather than adventuring into trees and bumps.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The parking lot at A-basin & Loveland is higher than Lake Louise highest peak. The town of Dillon is at 10k feet. 10000 feet is where most people get altitude sickness. U may want to buy travel insurance that covers skiing in the US. Evac from Summit county is to Denver 5000 feet. In the US an ER visit is 10k, ambulance charges by the mile and lifeflight is a minimum of 100k.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
The parking lot at A-basin & Loveland is higher than Lake Louise highest peak. The town of Dillon is at 10k feet. 10000 feet is where most people get altitude sickness. U may want to buy travel insurance that covers skiing in the US. Evac from Summit county is to Denver 5000 feet. In the US an ER visit is 10k, ambulance charges by the mile and lifeflight is a minimum of 100k.
All good to know, thanks!

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
I live in Colorado.

In April, your best bets are Loveland, A-Basin or Breck.

Loveland is an hour drive from Denver with A Basin and Breck a bit farther. You could stay in Silverthorne or Dillon and choose the place with the best conditions.

There is the Snowstang from Denver - not sure where drop off points are. A car is better.

Feel free to PM with questions.

Winter Park is great place near Denver, takes about 1 hour, 15 minutes to 1 hour, 30 minutes from Denver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly