• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Please consider supporting adaptive skiing

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please check out the Bretton Woods Bode Fest, April 13 and 14, at https://mtwashington.com/bodefest/

This two-day event benefits the Bretton Woods Adaptive Program. This is a great program that provides equipment and instruction to children and adults with disabilities.

I learned to ski in an adaptive program 5 years ago. It was profoundly life changing. I have been the recipient of much kindness and support from the wonderful adaptive instructors at several ski areas. All of the instructors volunteer their time to make skiing accessible to people who would not otherwise be able to access the sport.

Oftentimes people with disabilities cannot afford lift tickets and instruction because many are partially employed or unemployed. Fundraising helps the adaptive programs offer scholarships to those students.

Please consider becoming a volunteer instructor in the adaptive program of your choice. Many ski areas in New Hampshire have adaptive programs: Gunstock, Sunapee, Waterville Valley, Bretton Woods, and Loon come to mind. You will be required to attend some workshops at the beginning of the season and to teach a certain number of days per season. In exchange you usually receive a season pass and sometimes passes for friends and family.

Instructing in an adaptive program is a very rewarding experience. When you think about how much skiing means to you personally, you can imagine what it means to a person who is limited by disabilites in other major life areas. Skiing is a freeing sport, and nowhere is this more true than for a person with disabilities.

Today I skied with a soldier who was wounded by a huge shell that came clear through the humvee he was riding in in Iraq, piercing his leg in two places. His life is changed forever. Much as I hate the war in Iraq and the president who started it, it is very moving the see the sacrifices made by our troops. This soldier was learning to snowboard in spite of his wound. It was so inspiring to watch his persistence. He traveled 1200 miles to have this experience.

In the adaptive program you meet people who have faced incredible life challenges and are still seeking to life a full life. You can't help but be transformed by those encounters.

Very nice post! My fiance and I have volunteered for the National Sports Center for the Disabled (NSCD) and Adaptive Adventures here in Colorado for a combined total of well over 25 years!

In lieu of gifts at our wedding, we've asked people to donate to some organizations that we believe in, including these.

I hope people read your post and get involved! :smile:

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My son learned to ski 7 years ago through STRIDE in the capital district of New York State. They are an amazing group of people. Not only did they change his life but they changed mine as well. Now we can share a love of skiing together, and when he was born I never thought it was possible. I aspire to be an adaptive ski coach someday, when my children can all ski without me. Just give the disabled an ounce of effort and they will reward you with pounds of inspiration. Check out www.stride.org.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowGlider, that is so cool how you got started skiing ! Thanks for putting this out there for us to consider. Beyond children, I don't tend to think about how programs like this can bring joy to us grownups. It's always easy to give & contribute for kids. The programs for adults aren't usually very visible, and often it's grownups that find it harder to find something joyful. :croc:

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bravo from me too. I'm sure your experience in working with the soldier was life changing. Please let us know of other programs you know of so we might support and participate. I know Jiminy Peak (home to STRIDE that I mentioned earlier) offers a "Wounded Warrior Weekend". Dedicated to vets, they receive full round trip transportation from anywhere in the US, accomodations, and personal snowboard and ski instruction. Anyone who overcomes challenges is a true champion in my book. Best of luck.

Bravo from me too. I'm sure your experience in working with the soldier was life changing. Please let us know of other programs you know of so we might support and participate. I know Jiminy Peak (home to STRIDE that I mentioned earlier) offers a "Wounded Warrior Weekend". Dedicated to vets, they receive full round trip transportation from anywhere in the US, accomodations, and personal snowboard and ski instruction. Anyone who overcomes challenges is a true champion in my book. Best of luck.

Vail Sponsers a "Wounded Warrier Weekend" In January/February, too! It really is re-warding!

Way to go Divas!:clap:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny thing is, though I do tend to give to adaptive skiing, I never seem to feel as though those in the sitski are handycap.
Some of those people who I've encountered in wheelchairs are the most profoundly accomplished people I know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna