• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plan your Canadian trips!!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I'm not even sure we'll get our Sun Valley trip in this winter. The labor shortage, with no J-1 visa workers, and such a housing shortage, is particularly acute there. And Idaho has done so dismally with vaccinations.
I’ll be honest — part of me is mentally preparing for the idea that I might not be able to do or comfortable going on my planned trip to Big Sky given how things are going right now.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I was surprised too. Is it due to a difference in vaccination rates? I know Canada was lagging behind, but seems there has been a lot of catching up lately.
My understanding is that, on a national level, more Canadians are partially or fully vaccinated than Americans at this time.

Jilly

Staff member
I was surprised too. Is it due to a difference in vaccination rates? I know Canada was lagging behind, but seems there has been a lot of catching up lately.
We are actually way ahead of the states as of yesterday for vax rates. First and both shots, % of population.

I’ll be honest — part of me is mentally preparing for the idea that I might not be able to do or comfortable going on my planned trip to Big Sky given how things are going right now.

I feel the same way about a trip to Banff in February. I'm holding off at the moment. Also there is a dragon boat camp in planning stages for Sarasota in April 22. Yeah.....maybe....not booking yet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We are actually way ahead of the states as of yesterday for vax rates. First and both shots, % of population.

I feel the same way about a trip to Banff in February. I'm holding off at the moment. Also there is a dragon boat camp in planning stages for Sarasota in April 22. Yeah.....maybe....not booking yet.

Sorry I tend to be very New England centric when thinking about vaccination rates which are significantly higher than some parts of the US. But yes alas on a national scale there are definitely plenty of areas dragging the average down..

MA is the second most highly vaccinated state in the US, second only to VT.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Bought Epic Pass next season, main reason is I want to go back to Whistler/Blackcomb. Lodging booked for late Feb, but refundable. Will travel restrictions be eased by then?

Don't think I want to deal w/ covid test prior to travel +/- contingency plan if tested +ve. This is too much hassle for a vacation.

I know I will be disappointed if my WB can't come to fruition next year, because I bought Epic pass mainly for that.....

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
What I need to find is a relevant conference that I can attend in Montreal… ;) Any time after those skis get here in October. I’m currently the only passported person in our house.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
UPDATE

NEWS > NATION/WORLD

U.S. continues travel limits on northern border despite Canada’s plan to open to fully vaccinated Americans​

UPDATED: Wed., July 21, 2021

60f87acfc4c75.hires.jpg

1 / 2

60f87acfc4c75.hires.jpg

60f8775f88ab1.image.jpg

The Canadian-US border line is seen on Thursday, June 17, 2021, as it runs along Roosevelt Way in Point Roberts, Washington. (Tyler Tjomsland/The Spokesman-Review)
By Nico Portuondo [email protected](509) 459-5140
The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it will continue border restrictions on non-essential travel to Canada at land and ferry entries, deviating from Canada’s plans to completely open to fully vaccinated Americans.
Alejandro Mayorkas, secretary of homeland security, announced in a notice that travel restrictions will continue through Aug. 21 at both the Canada and Mexico borders.
“This document announces the decision of the Secretary of Homeland Security to continue to temporarily limit the travel of individuals from Canada into the United States at land ports of entry along the United States-Canada border,” said the notice issued by Mayorkas.
The continuation comes on the heels of the Canadian government’s announcement that it will completely open borders to U.S. citizens fully vaccinated for at least 14 days starting Aug. 9.
That means that fully vaccinated travelers will not be required to undergo a 14 day quarantine or testing when entering Canada . However, the Public Health Agency of Canada said that travelers will still be required to take a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test.
Washington lawmakers universally panned the Biden administration’s decision, lamenting the impacts on Washington communities straddling the border.
“The Biden administration’s short-sighted decision to yet again extend temporary cross-border restrictions is another blow to border communities in Washington state,” said Washington House Democrat Rick Larsen, whose district includes a portion of Whatcom County near the border.
Kyle VonEnde, a spokesman for Rep. Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, also said that Rodgers believes that border restrictions will have an undue, damaging effect on Washington businesses who rely on Canadian customers and will further delay the re-opening of the economy.
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said he was disappointed by the decision over Twitter, and said he will continue to advocate for at least the partial re-opening of the border.
Washington Democratic Sen. Patty Murray was frustrated by the administration’s decision and is pushing for the possibility of an exemption for Point Roberts, a U.S. exclave surrounded on three sides by water and one side by the Canadian border that virtually entirely relies on Canadian visitors for business.
“I want to be crystal clear so that President Biden and the administration understand me: at the very least, we need an emergency exemption from these restrictions for the Point Roberts community and in fact, we needed it yesterday,” said Murray.
Washington Democratic House Rep. Suzan DelBene, who represents Point Roberts, said that her constituents were praying this was the month to open the border and that the administration’s decision is devastating to the community.
The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond when asked if the agency would consider an exemption for Point Roberts.
The reaffirmed U.S. restrictions limit travel to the country through land and ferry crossings to “essential travel,” or travel for work, medical or educational reasons.
Travel for tourism or recreation is not permitted.
Despite the extension, the Department of Homeland Security noted positive developments in recent week, according to the notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention moved Mexico and Canada from COVID-19 Level 4 (Very High) to Level 3 (High) on June 9, signaling improving conditions.
The United States first closed land borders with both Canada and Mexico in March 2020, with re-evaluations of the closures every month since.

Jilly

Staff member
Bought Epic Pass next season, main reason is I want to go back to Whistler/Blackcomb. Lodging booked for late Feb, but refundable. Will travel restrictions be eased by then?

Don't think I want to deal w/ covid test prior to travel +/- contingency plan if tested +ve. This is too much hassle for a vacation.

I know I will be disappointed if my WB can't come to fruition next year, because I bought Epic pass mainly for that.....
Who knows. We could be shut down again with a 4th wave. Personally you would have to pay me to go back to WB. There are so many better places to go.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Who knows. We could be shut down again with a 4th wave. Personally you would have to pay me to go back to WB. There are so many better places to go.

That has always been our thought. Red Mtn is 2.5 hours away, Fernie, 4.5 etc..... why drive 9 to do that? Just our thoughts.

alison wong

Angel Diva
You could come to VT and ski Stowe ;)
Maybe I will have to if I can't go to WB.

Personally you would have to pay me to go back to WB. There are so many better places to go.
For me, at this stage of my skiing, I am mostly interested to go back to places where I skied as a beginner. I want to re-visit the trails that freaked me out, gave me anxiety attacks.... I want to see how I fare with my current skill level. WB is one of the places. Stowe too, actually.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Me to husband: well, we may as well have fun before the 4th wave.
Husband: why are you party pooping? who says there will be a 4th wave?
Me: rolls eyes, walks away, mutters, "science and experience."

I am so mad that I'm resigned to it. I am super glad that we had already planned and budgeted for ski passes and skiing this coming winter, and that I got a car with AWD to make that easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly