• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plan your Canadian trips!!

Jilly

Staff member
Prime Minister Trudeau just announced it. American citizens with full vaccinations will be allowed into Canada on August 9th!! No quarantine.

I didn't see any mention of Covid test before coming to the border. At present Canadians coming back have to. So there may be more to come on this. They are also opening up other airports. Currently you can only fly into Toronto Montreal or Calgary. They will open up for international travel, Ottawa, Quebec City, Winnipeg and Vancouver.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Now we just need the US government to return DH's renewed passport sometime before ski season!

newboots

Angel Diva
I am really wondering about travel this year. I know things are opening up, but in some places (looking at you, UK! And Missouri, Louisiana, and was it L.A. too?) opening up has been followed by new surges, full hospitals, and Delta variants on the loose. Some of these openings may become closings again, but who knows?

mustski

Angel Diva
I read that Covid PCR tests are required within 3 days before arrival - even if fully vaccinated. Hopefully, the US will reciprocate soon and Canadians can come this way also.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes. Covid test 72 hours before and one on entry. But no quarantine or day 8 test. And you need the app on your phone.

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. Covid test 72 hours before and one on entry. But no quarantine or day 8 test. And you need the app on your phone.
It sounds like the test on entry is being done away with, but still need to do pre-arrival test. Pre-arrival within 72 hrs can also be NAAT rapid test (the ID Now is NAAT) or RT-PCR test (this is the rapid PCR). I came back to Canada from a trip to the US on July 5 under the revised restrictions (ie no quarantine for fully vaxxed PR/citizens)… highly recommend anyone crossing in the future to make sure they find a place that offers ID Now or a RT-PCR test as getting PCR lab results within the 72 hrs can be difficult.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Washington Post says that you have have a molecular test/negative within 72 hours.

Do we still register online with our COVID vaccine info?

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Washington Post says that you have have a molecular test/negative within 72 hours.

Do we still register online with our COVID vaccine info?
You upload vaccine proof into the ArriveCan app within 72hrs of arrival (or flight departure) into Canada. Not sure if this will change eventually, but currently you can't complete the ArriveCan info more then 72hrs from arrival. To be clear, ArriveCan does not give a determination if you will be allowed entry, it's just the app used to upload the required documents and answer a bunch of questions about your travel & quarantine plans. It's up to the border agent if they allow entry without quarantine. I wouldn't get too hung up on the border agent discretion if you have all the correct requirements & documents (ie correct type and timeline of test, proper vaccination records), then shoudn't be an issue... it took the agent literally 2 mins to process me through a few weeks ago. However what will be interesting to see play out is that travellers will still be required to submit quarantine plans in the event they are denied entry (these questions are asked of you when you fill out your travel plans in the ArriveCan app)... not sure what acceptable contingency quarantine plans will be for tourists... can you just answer that you'll leave the country if you are denied?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am really wondering about travel this year. I know things are opening up, but in some places (looking at you, UK! And Missouri, Louisiana, and was it L.A. too?) opening up has been followed by new surges, full hospitals, and Delta variants on the loose. Some of these openings may become closings again, but who knows?

In Provincetown, MA there is a positive cluster of around 130 people that they are blaming on 4th of July festivities. 80 something are MA residents, and it includes plenty of breakthrough cases of fully vaccinated people. It’s the first place in MA to reinstitute a mask advisory for indoors “when 6 feet of distance can’t be maintained” for fully vaccinated people. Will be interesting to see how things keep going..

Jilly

Staff member
Lady Salina just came back this week too. She left in March 2020 to be with her husband in states. They drove over and had to do all of the above.

MissySki

Angel Diva
In Provincetown, MA there is a positive cluster of around 130 people that they are blaming on 4th of July festivities. 80 something are MA residents, and it includes plenty of breakthrough cases of fully vaccinated people. It’s the first place in MA to reinstitute a mask advisory for indoors “when 6 feet of distance can’t be maintained” for fully vaccinated people. Will be interesting to see how things keep going..

Oof and now this, Boston wants residents who visited Provincetown to isolate and g tested for Covid regardless of vaccination status. This sounds odd given that we’ve been letting vaccinated folks travel without testing for awhile now based on the assumption that vaccinated folks didn’t pose a risk to anyone in transmitting Covid even if they were positive and asymptomatic right?

Here’s a fun one I just learned this afternoon too. Five people in Chris’ more extended family went to Portugal. Well, when they were set to be coming home they had to get tested ahead of the flight. One of the five tested positive but is asymptomatic, so they were all made to stay and quarantine for an extra 5 days before they are allowed to fly and are still there currently. I believe this happened this past weekend that they were supposed to come home. Even bigger problem is that there was a strike that happened over the weekend of some airport staff that caused the cancellation of a ton of flights in and out of Portugal. So that ripple effect has their flight home after quarantine in jeopardy and they only have a tentative confirmation of when they can get back. What a nightmare..

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
^ that travel ripple is the biggest issue. We’re trying to decide what to do for spring break, and after the last 18 months (which started with husband tearing Achilles just before spring break to SoCal), we REALLY want to go somewhere warm and sunny… but our two top choices are travel challenges at best: HI and PR.

I’m going to see if I can sway us to a CO spring break… ;) we could feasibly drive…

MissySki

Angel Diva
^ that travel ripple is the biggest issue. We’re trying to decide what to do for spring break, and after the last 18 months (which started with husband tearing Achilles just before spring break to SoCal), we REALLY want to go somewhere warm and sunny… but our two top choices are travel challenges at best: HI and PR.

I’m going to see if I can sway us to a CO spring break… ;) we could feasibly drive…

Driving seems so preferable to me right now..

I have a colleague heading to Hawaii next week for a honeymoon, I'm looking forward to hearing about the travel and overall experience when he returns in 2 weeks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just saw that the US is extending non essential travel restrictions at the northern and southern borders until August 21. I guess it doesn't apply to US citizens, so we can travel but others cannot come here unless it's for things like medical care, school, etc.? Is that how everyone else reads it?

Jilly

Staff member
That's how I'm reading it. You can come and see me, but I a fully vaxxed can't come and see you. Not sure how it relates to you going back either. I have that question out to a cottage neighbour who I know is itching to get to the cottage.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm hedging my bets on all travel at the moment, except for our cancelled/rescheduled AK trip in September. It sounds like overcrowding and then staffing shortages are causing SO many headaches at hotels, restaurants, and really just about every destination. Certainly the outdoorsy destinations. Plus so many people are behaving badly. And no place seems immune. I wonder how long it will all take to smooth out. The only trip I am considering booking right now is to NYC. Friends just had a great time there and I think cities are better handling everything and just better able to absorb things like labor shortages (which yes are in existence, but the situation seems better than in small towns that typically rely on seasonal workers).

I'm not even sure we'll get our Sun Valley trip in this winter. The labor shortage, with no J-1 visa workers, and such a housing shortage, is particularly acute there. And Idaho has done so dismally with vaccinations.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
It’s weird how the US govt insisted on extending for another one month block.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s weird how the US govt insisted on extending for another one month block.
I was surprised too. Is it due to a difference in vaccination rates? I know Canada was lagging behind, but seems there has been a lot of catching up lately.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's how I'm reading it. You can come and see me, but I a fully vaxxed can't come and see you. Not sure how it relates to you going back either. I have that question out to a cottage neighbour who I know is itching to get to the cottage.

Since it specifies that US citizens are exempt, I assume they can reenter. I know people who have gone back and forth to Mexico, Aruba, etc. recently with no issues coming back. The family that would have come back from Portugal had they not tested positive, etc. Not the same exactly, but I can't see why they'd be stopped coming back from Canada and not from anywhere else in the world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly