• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Places to watch for U.S. Thanksgiving opening?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Update on Bretton Woods' opening date: the Friday after Thanksgiving, Nov 23rd. This is not official; there is no official estimate that I can find, and I've looked as I'm starting to work there this season. I found an "updated" date published on the snowpak website, but have no idea where they got their information. The day after Thanksgiving is considerably later than Bretton Woods' usual opening date, but may reflect the issue of the unfinished Gondola sitting right there in front of the main lodge, an active construction site.

https://www.snowpak.com/new-hampshire/bretton-woods/opening-dates
Interesting. Snowpak has Heather Burke as the source for info about Bretton Woods. She has a website for family skiing. She also does articles for the Boston Globe and other media outlets in the northeast.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Breckenridge is opening Nov 7th after getting 5FT of snow this week!! https://www.breckenridge.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/terrain-and-lift-status.aspx

Keystone is opening 11/7 too https://www.keystoneresort.com/
Of course, flying into Denver Thanksgiving week is expensive. But anyone who could get away for a few days starting Thu, 11/29 can get a good deal on plane fare. RDU-DEN round trip on SW is around $200.

The projected opening date for Breck and Keystone was Friday, Nov. 9.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Aspen Mountain will definitely be open for Thanksgiving. In fact, going to open a few days earlier. Nov. 17 is opening day for Ajax while it's still Nov. 22 for Snowmass. Bet all the employees are happy after the delayed opening in 2017.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are at Sunday River for the long weekend, they’re saying these are best Thanksgiving conditions they’ve ever had. Pretty awesome. Very cold today though, we are a little slow getting up and going...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The bonus at SR is that they have a free Demo Day that weekend.

Actually, it's $15 to do the demos at Sunday River.
https://www.sundayriver.com/events/demo-day

"Registration takes place in the South Ridge Welcome Center from 8AM to Noon. To register, you will need a valid lift ticket or season pass, driver's license, credit card, and your own boots and equipment. Please note that there will be no junior demos available.

The $15 cost to participate can be applied as a $50 credit towards any new ski or snowboard purchase at Sunday River Sports over the weekend."

Meanwhile, Sugarloaf is reporting best Thanksgiving conditions since 1968.

Jilly

Staff member
Opening Day at Tremblant. Have to work and today I'm glad I do. Friend texted and stated it's -25C at the top with the wind chill. New chair not ready. No chairs on it. But the renovated chalet on top is.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking at the places mentioned in this thread so far, I think all of them are not only going to be open this weekend, they will all have some of the best conditions in November for a while between early snowstorms and cold weather that allowed snowmaking to start a week or two or three ago. Skiing Nov. 23-25, 2018 will be possible pretty much in any region of N. America.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The most unusual openings for this early Thanksgiving weekend are in Vermont. Magic and Mad River Glen will have people making tracks in natural snow.

Magic is doing a 1-day Experts Only for Sat, 11/24/18 on all natural snow because of recent storms and cold temps that will preserve the snow cover for the next couple days. Regular opening expected Dec. 1.

"A Thanksgiving Special: "White Saturday"

So, as you know, it's been snowing a lot recently with another 5-9" here yesterday (which has been making up for the lack of productive snowmaking temps & time here--more on that later). So, our team has been huddling here and doing a little product testing today. Here's what we've decided to do:

Besides Black Friday shopping and tubing here, we're going to carve out an opportunity for some to do a "White Saturday" ski adventure here at Magic. This will be a one day "soft opening"--FOR EXPERTS ONLY-- to get after the goods mother-nature has kindly bestowed on Magic this Thanksgiving. It's a one-day-only historic early-open event, a sort of prequel to our official opening day for the ski and ride season which is still slated for December 1st weekend.

For skiing and riding on November 24th, Red Chair-only will spin from 9am-3:30pm (no Sunday lift service). This is an all-natural snow ski day, with a good portion of the mountain's trails/glades open. But there are many natural hazards that do exist--especially some natural streams and water bars across trails/lower run outs that have yet to freeze over this early in the season. We will be working with patrol all day friday to create navigable pathways on the run-outs as the temperatures drop Thursday into Friday.

In terms of conditions, we had Andy Belcher, head of Ski Patrol, Craig Bailes, Assistant Director Snowsports, and yours truly, ski different ways down the mountain and the conditions are straight-up soft powder, with a good base. A few scraps of rocks on some of the steeper terrain like Goniff and the work road (Carpet/Wand); nothing hit on Wizard into Talisman or Up Your Sleeve into Vertigo. Just a few water bars and cross streams to carefully navigate. Plan on nothing being groomed but the run outs, about 33 trails/glades open--it is truly skiing like it used to be--when skis where not that expensive (hint). But, the snow and base have really set up nicely, so why not let our better skilled skiers and riders enjoy a bonus day of mother nature's bounty?!

Adult tickets at the window will be just $49. Discounted tickets are also available online here"

Mad River Glen plans to be open Sat and Sun. I bet a few people headed to Sugarbush because of the Ikon pass may be tempted to check out MRG for a day.

"Our plan is to spin the Single Chair from 9 am to 3:30 pm on Saturday and Sunday with the vast majority of our main mountain terrain open. Be sure to check the snow report for details as we get a bit closer. All season passes will be honored and we are offering $69 day online tickets too."

Christy

Angel Diva
Very rough start for Whistler. Only 4 trails open on Whistler and 1 on Blackcomb. The website lists conditions as "marginal." We used to go on Thanksgiving and had some great years but after a couple bad ones, we now go to to Orcas Island and get poured on instead. Chains were required on Snoqualmie Pass this morning, so hopefully things are getting going in the PNW.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
We were in Vermont this weekend, for our first weekend skiing. (Can't say exactly where, as it will be a surprise when we release the video we are working on).
@Jilly Friday was extremely cold, close to what it was at Tremblant about -17F.

@marzNC the conditions were phenomenal this weekend, for early season. But, skiing in the woods was a bit challenging if you don't know the mountain. And because there was a lot of fresh snow about 1 to 2 feet in areas, that have been preserved due to colder temperatures, there is no base underneath. On some runs that were not groomed, you could pole plant easily 2 feet down to frozen earth. We skied over many fresh pockets of snow not knowing there were gulleys underneath.

A glimpse of what we were working on.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wachusett was quite fun Wed before Thanksgiving even though there was just one run open on each of the three chairlifts. No crowds, perhaps because most local schools had classes in the morning. Heard it was that much better on Fri with more trails open.

Jilly

Staff member
I didn't ski Friday, but drove up. SkiBam was out Thursday and I think it was colder that day. But Saturday was great. This morning it was raining, so I packed up and left.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
@Jilly we drove up Thursday to take advantage of the long weekend. We skied Friday and Saturday and like you we decided against skiing in the r _ _ _ today. We heard it was snowing at the top of the mountain though, even as far down as Stratton. It's still early.

Jilly

Staff member
Next time, ping me. Give you the locals tour when more stuff is open. Report was that the afternoon was soft and no ice!! Hope you liked what you got!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna