• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pieps DSP avalanche beacons

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve been seeing this on social media and am a little concerned now because my Pieps has this slide lock mechanism as well..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Don't know anything about beacons, but here's a comment from an Aussie who has owned that brand.

"I can see how in the force of an avi that switch might be forced but certainly haven’t had it switch modes on me before.
I read the BD report on testing post incident and they seem to think it’s less likely to fail than other brands. Who knows. Good stuff to be aware of but I wouldn’t be ditching your beacons in the basis of this incident and the social media storm around it. I’d be conscious of ensuring the switch is locked in and the beacon in its neoprene pouch covering the switch though."

Jilly

Staff member
There is also a Canadian lady on social media. She lost her husband because of this problem. She was a new mother and was told NOT to speak out. She is now.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have some friends who recently bought or replaced transceivers in preparation for the upcoming North American (backcountry) season. Based on this, they've all avoided Pieps.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup avoid at all costs, ski patroller son is throwing his out, he's getting a Mammute Barryvox.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup avoid at all costs, ski patroller son is throwing his out, he's getting a Mammute Barryvox.

The Barryvox is what my friends have gone for as well!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @MrsPlow for posting this and divas for the updates. I have been watching this unfold as I own the PRO model from a few years ago. If they upgrade for free that would be great. Otherwise DH has the Barryvox and I will probably get same for continuity. I will keep the PRO to use for practice and as an extra backup.

AJM I hope he's really not throwing it away, it can be used for practice searching, at my home mountain we have a "beacon" park where you can search for buried beacons, I'm sure patrol would love a donation of used beacons....

I question how many people wear the beacon with the screen forward - the Barryvox makes it impossible to holster it that way but not the Pieps. Not to mention how many people don't wear a holster and wear it in a pocket were any beacon is subject to more wear and tear than if it were holstered.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got an email response back today asking me to fill out a warranty claim for my beacon so I did. Then I got an email saying that due to Covid-19 many are still working at home so there may delays in the process and with following up with further instructions. So, no idea what the next step will be or what the eligibility may be for this upgrade. I bought my beacon in 2015 for example, but didn't actually use it until early 2020. I wish I hadn't used it because then I could have still returned it to Backcountry where I ordered it from technically as they allow you to return unopened/unused items anytime still. I do still have all of the packaging..

MissySki

Angel Diva

I know, I know.. I bought it in an end of season sale, with the intention of starting more in the backcountry the following season. Then life happened, got a divorce, didn’t ski much for a couple of seasons etc etc. So things got pushed out a bit longer than expected before I got back around to it haha.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @MrsPlow for posting this and divas for the updates. I have been watching this unfold as I own the PRO model from a few years ago. If they upgrade for free that would be great. Otherwise DH has the Barryvox and I will probably get same for continuity. I will keep the PRO to use for practice and as an extra backup.

AJM I hope he's really not throwing it away, it can be used for practice searching, at my home mountain we have a "beacon" park where you can search for buried beacons, I'm sure patrol would love a donation of used beacons....

I question how many people wear the beacon with the screen forward - the Barryvox makes it impossible to holster it that way but not the Pieps. Not to mention how many people don't wear a holster and wear it in a pocket were any beacon is subject to more wear and tear than if it were holstered.
No hes not really throwing it out, they will use it for beacon training, the ski area he works at also has a training area for everyone to use :smile:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So playing around with beacon today, and seems secure in send, but if I move to search, I can slide to send without pressing the lock. Will monitor what is offered but will most likely get another Barryvox down the road. FWIW I never got along with the holster, seems I could never get it snug enough as a “average” sized women and it also seems easier to put into the holster the wrong way - ie the face forward instead of towards the body. DH Barryvox so much more intuitive when pulling it out of the holster although I remember being frustrated the first time using it as it clearly can only be put in the holster one way, the correct way.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So playing around with beacon today, and seems secure in send, but if I move to search, I can slide to send without pressing the lock. Will monitor what is offered but will most likely get another Barryvox down the road. FWIW I never got along with the holster, seems I could never get it snug enough as a “average” sized women and it also seems easier to put into the holster the wrong way - ie the face forward instead of towards the body. DH Barryvox so much more intuitive when pulling it out of the holster although I remember being frustrated the first time using it as it clearly can only be put in the holster one way, the correct way.

Mine does the same exact thing as yours. I got an email response today that any beacon purchased over 2 years ago would have an option for one of three beacons ranging from $100-$150 for the upgrade..

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine does the same exact thing as yours. I got an email response today that any beacon purchased over 2 years ago would have an option for one of three beacons ranging from $100-$150 for the upgrade..

Thanks @MissySki seems like I should follow up with the warranty...would rather have a newer beacon as my back up than a questionable one.

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So playing around with beacon today, and seems secure in send, but if I move to search, I can slide to send without pressing the lock.
FYI it’s the opposite that is the issue... ie the issue is when you can move from Send to Search without pressing the lock. Most beacons aren’t ‘locked’ in Search mode, that’s fairly normal. The issue is the opposite when your beacon can inadvertently get switched into Search mode, thus preventing it from being detected in a burial scenario.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I didn’t send mine in yet, though I have the shipping label printed out and ready to go. I’m waiting for my next Amazon delivery to have a box to pack it into haha. Then just need to drip it at Fedex.

Were you just looking for an update on them receiving mine in general and what they came back with, or some other details?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly