• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Picking a ski - help!

lindsey2000

Diva in Training
Okay, let me set the context....

I skied as a child/teen and was a decent skier (blues and blacks). I switched to snowboarding around 15 and snowboarded for 17 years. Now an excellent snowboarder.

HOWEVER I want to switch back for this season. I miss how much of a joy skis are in trees, and I'm excited for a learning challenge. I'm planning to buy some budget skis for the seasons. Ski a ton, and then if I have a great time, resell and buy nice ones for next season. Renting for the season where I live is even more expensive than buying a budget package, and then there's no resale for my budget life, so just FYI I'm not looking to be talked into renting.

Two questions: what skis and what size?

Size: I'm a little under 5'7". 140-145lbs.
Terrain desires: hoping to put some time in and level up quickly. I'm in good shape and play a lot of sports. Also expect to be going a couple times a week. I assume I'll start on groomers, but would like to move off piste-fairly quickly because that's where all the fun is!

Ski: Looking for something to help me have a great experience getting back in, but level up with me.

Been looking at some budget ski packages: some 165 Dynastar Eden Legends (2013). But curious if these would be too long?

Any recommendations on length or type of ski?

Jilly

Staff member
Go to a reputable ski shop and try on. Don't get locked into one brand, model. Might not fit. There have been lots of changes in boots in 17 years!!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too bad you aren't on the east coast. I have a pair of Rossi Experience 80 in 168cm (new in plastic) that will be looking for a home soon.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing to keep in mind when buying used skis is the bindings. After around 10 years or so they drop them off the indemnified binding list, and reputable ski shops won't service them any more. If you see a pair you like, you can always call a local ski shop and ask if the bindings are on the list still. The ones on the Edens are probably still on there, but maybe not next year if you do decided to resell the skis.

Jilly

Staff member
That's why I was asking. Tight trees would you probably like a shorter than longer ski. If short than the 165 should suit.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow you think I could go longer than I 165? I was thinking that would be on the long end... Shows what I know!
Have you looked at wide or mid-width skis with lots of tip and tail rocker? Meaning they curve up away from the snow. That means the actual edge on snow is much less than for narrower skis that are meant more for groomers.

I'm petite, quite a few inches shorter than you. My all-mountain skis that I take to the Rockies are 85mm underfoot and 159cm. I've skied powder skis that were 162-165cm. So for you, 165cm is too short.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Planning to hit the slopes in Washington and Oregon. Mostly Mt.Hood. Thanks!
Mt. Hood Meadows is lots of fun! I and my ski buddy did a day trip from Sun River in May a few years ago. We were checking out Bachelor for late season skiing. I'd like to get back to Mt. Hood a bit earlier in the spring some day.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in WA & I love tree skiing! I'd probably decide on a ski model before narrowing into length. Wider all mountain and freeride skis can ski long or short depending on their design features, and I land anywhere from the low 160s to mid 170s, depending on the model.

For models, I think the Blizzard Sheeva 10 is top notch as a versatile 1-ski-quiver that helps a strong piste skier get comfortable off piste and in trees. It's super nimble and easy to steer, but the metal section in the midsection of the ski keep it from being a noodle that's unstable in our classic wet snow and at speed. But they're not the easiest to find used.

For used skis, I'd definitely recommend demo models. Shops will only mount skis 3 times, and most bindings only adjust a centimeter or two (but even then, sometimes your boot is forward or back of the recommended line). Demos adjust to any boot size, so while they tend to be a bit more costly than what's on Craigslist, you've got better odds of recouping what you pay. I really like Powder7 for shopping demo gear, but they're also plentiful on eBay, and also show up on Evo's site from time to time (usually at the end of the season). A remount would also cost an extra $50-75, depending on your shop. Models I'd target:
-Rossignol Sky 7 or Soul 7 (men's or women's - same ski; this one's also on clearance for $299 in some sizes, so it could be a reasonable one to buy new)
-Salomon Lux, Lumen, or Stella (same as the men's QST 92, 99, and 106)
-Blizzard Sheeva 9 or 10
-Line Pandora 94 or 104 (same as the men's Line Sick Days)
-Liberty Genesis 96 or 106 (same as the men's Liberty Origin)
-Icelantic Maiden 101
-Volkl Blaze 94 or 104, or their predecessors, the 90eight and 100eight. Same ski across genders.

All of those are a moderate flex that won't be overwhelming for someone like you who is comfortable sliding on snow and has enough experience to make parallel turns within your first session or two. But they're stiff/heavy enough to be stable and provide a solid runway for growth and hold up in cruddy conditions. For your height, I'd go around 170, and round down for anything under 100 underfoot, and round up if they're wider. At that length, you also might make it more than 1 season before outgrowing them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna