• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Photo of the day

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's got mountains and snow. No chairlifts though.

As there's a few people here who love their cameras I thought I'd add some technical stuff about how I processed this image. I'll apologise for weird artifacts in the sky; the site kept making the colours screwy so I had to save to another site and then re-save that image and it's added a lot of noise.

Anyway, this is a 20-image panorama taken at 100mm. I like zooms for landscapes as the effectively compress the image into a plane and you don't get the weird distortions that wide-angles give you. The downside is that you don't get a point-and-shoot image. Below is a screenshot of some of the raw images showing the amount of overlap I do, generally it's 50% or more.

Then the images are merged in Lightroom. You can see the bits where there was no data so I had to do a bit of work in Photoshop; some cloning here and there, PS has an excellent content-aware fill that can fill in the gaps to some extent. At this point the image was HUGE - up around 700MB, but as long as my computer can cope I prefer working with the larger images.

The image was effectively in .raw format at this point - raw is the equivalent of film negatives. If you shoot in jpeg the files are smaller, but your camera / phone is making the decisions about colour balance, contrast etc for you; Raw gives massive file sizes but it's pure data and the amount of detail you can extract is silly. So I made a minor amount of adjustments. I wanted the skies to contast to the sunlight; blue and yellow are nearly opposite on the colour wheel so I selectively put a blue colour in using a curves layer in PS. I upped the contrast a little bit to make the skies a bit more stormy and masked out the foreground mountains. Then I desaturated the yellow a bit a it was really bright. Saved as a tiff to retain the layers for the future, then flattened the image and converted to jpeg.

And that's it.
pano flat social.jpg

Attachments

• raw pano social.jpg
    raw pano social.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 12
  • raw flat social.jpg
    raw flat social.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 13

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's really unbelievable how beautiful it is up there in the summer! The NZ ski areas just look like the surface of Mars with no snow.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
D3BF72E5-A0EE-4134-9D2B-E0E811EEE309.jpeg
Here’s the view from the top of the Timberline quad at Bolton Valley. Was the most beautiful day in Vermont yesterday. It’s actually a really short hike to the top from the main base area. A little over half a mile and about 350 feet in elevation gain. I can get a similar workout just walking up my road, but the views aren’t *quite* as nice (I do see Camel’s Hump though) and there isn’t a creemee stand at the bottom of my hill!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna