• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Phantom Glide™ base treatment, how to avoid waxing recreational skis - Notes 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
For recreational skiing, Phantom Glide™ is an alternative to waxing skis. I was an early adopter after DPS Skis made Phantom available during the 2018-19 season and am very happy with the performance on snow. I had been waxing my skis at home for a few years before Phantom was invented, but it’s a chore I’m happy not to do any more. When I was skiing enough to buy good skis, I used to wax my skis 3-4 times a season. I was skiing 15-25 days, half in the southeast on manmade snow.

Keep reading if you are a recreational or backcountry skier and would consider investing in a base treatment that means not spending time and money on waxing for as long as you keep a pair of skis. Can be useful for racers too but my impression is that most racers prefer to wax their own skis. Although treating with Phantom Glide as a foundation for race skis has proved to be useful. Works for snowboards too.

If you have Phantom-treated skis, did you go DIY or have a shop do the treatment? What do you think about the performance? Do you plan to treat other skis in the future? Be helpful to know what region you ski in the most.

One reason I'm starting a new thread is that the 2022 version of Phantom Glide is slightly different. The DIY kits still is a single application that takes 60 minutes to cure in sunlight, but has a thinner formula and is easier to buff out.

For previous notes by Divas who have used Phantom before 2022:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Phantom can be applied at home (DIY, no tools needed, sunlight required) in a few hours or can be done by a ski shop with a specially designed UV light box. The price for a kit is usually $99, which is good for a pair of any size skis (or one snowboard). The charge for treating a pair of skis using a DPS Cure Station, including a stone grind, has been around $150 at a ski shop.

Performance is comparable to a skis waxed using a universal temperature wax. In spring conditions when the snow is potentially "sticky," I wouldn't want to have skis without Phantom any more.

The marketing description is below:

What is PHANTOM Glide?

PHANTOM Glide is a permanent, high-performance base treatment for skis and snowboards that increases hydrophobicity and improves glide performance across a variety of snow conditions.

PHANTOM Glide is not wax.

PHANTOM Glide differs from traditional wax because wax is not permanent. Wax is a temporary glide solution that functions only by coating the top layer of your base. After just a few runs, traditional wax wears off and glide performance diminishes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Backcountry ,com seems to be selling off the old red DIY kits at a discounted price. Looks like the single part version.

The new box is black. From what I've seen, not that much difference in terms of performance. The latest formula is a bit easier to apply just enough so not as much effort is required to get off an excess and buff out the bases.

I've treated skis at home (North Carolina) with the original version that required 3 hours of sunlight for Part A and Part B, as well as the second version that still had Part A & B but only needed 1 hour of sunlight. Even my powder skis are treated now because then they are more fun at Alta in April when it warms up in the afternoon after a late season powder storm. For those, I had a ski shop in SLC do the treatment with a cure station because those skis stay with my primary ski buddy who lives in NM. He had a pair of skis done at the same time. We got 24-hour turnaround.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Can't find Phantom at Backcountry any more. Found a sale price at Evo, but that ends tonight. All the deals are for the red box. Some are the 1-part formula, as marked on the box. There are also people selling the older 2-part version for even less. Those kits may be getting a bit old.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Escape Route is a ski shop in Whistler that was an early adopter of Phantom. Their 2022 webpage includes two detailed reviews, one by a ski tech and one by a backcountry skier.

July 2022

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Can't find Phantom at Backcountry any more. Found a sale price at Evo, but that ends tonight. All the deals are for the red box. Some are the 1-part formula, as marked on the box. There are also people selling the older 2-part version for even less. Those kits may be getting a bit old.
I was lucky enough to get one from Backcountry and applied it to my Sheeva's in Sept -- it was a breeze. Also applied it to my buddy Rita's new skis (she was afraid she'd mess it up, and was going to pay to have it done -- I talked her out of that, LOL). Can't wait to try them out!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Three pairs of mine have it. I am going to put it on my new skis also. I love it.
Not only saves time, but not leaving the wax all over the mountain and contaminating your water is very important.
Every single rental skis in Aspen Snowmass have it since last season.
Very good point; great reason to switch to Phantom.

RJ*

Angel Diva
I finally got around to applying Phantom to two of my pairs of skis. Very excited to try them next week!

I’m not sure I applied the product correctly, as I had a bit of sticky/wet residue left after curing. I think I was supposed to wipe that off before putting the skis out to cure. When I realized I had the residue, I wiped it off and put the skis back out in the sun for another hour. Not sure if that helps, I guess we’ll see!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I finally got around to applying Phantom to two of my pairs of skis. Very excited to try them next week!

I’m not sure I applied the product correctly, as I had a bit of sticky/wet residue left after curing. I think I was supposed to wipe that off before putting the skis out to cure. When I realized I had the residue, I wiped it off and put the skis back out in the sun for another hour. Not sure if that helps, I guess we’ll see!
Same here @RJ* -- I think it's because they give you extra in each packet, and our skis are probably not that long. Had that happen with both my and Rita's skis. I even cured them in bright, warm sun for an extra day. I just used a paper towel to wipe off the residue, and they seem fine -- @marzNC agreed.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@TNtoTaos — Cataloochee is skiing great. I was out Wed and yesterday. Let me know if you are going and maybe we can meet up!
Thanks Sarah, I definitely will. Am trying to decide when would be a good time to take a couple of days to come up there. Where's a good place to stay there? How far are the hotels from the resort? It's about a 6 hr drive for me, so would have to stay at least one night.

Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Aspen Ski Co. was an early adopter. The first season all the demo skis were treated with Version 1 of Phantom. All the locations of Four Mountain Sports (ACS ski shop) got Cure Stations as soon as they were available.
I know because it is my home mountain.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thanks Sarah, I definitely will. Am trying to decide when would be a good time to take a couple of days to come up there. Where's a good place to stay there? How far are the hotels from the resort? It's about a 6 hr drive for me, so would have to stay at least one night.
Actually, just realized I could take my camper van and stay at Walmart lot in Waynesville :wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm treating a pair of "new to me" skis today. I had a stone grind done at ski shop near Massanutten. I got the 1-packet version in the red box on sale from an e-store a few weeks ago. It's the first time I'm doing DIY with the single packet formula. Certainly a lot easier than the initial Version 1 from the Kickstarter that required two 3-hour cure periods.

It's in the 60s and bright sunshine in central North Carolina.

Here's the video instructions for the 1-packet version that's been sold since 2019. The instructions are the same for the formula in the black boxes starting in 2022. My understanding is that the formula has been tweaked but not enough to make a difference in terms of the application process.

SparkleBunny

Certified Ski Diva
I bought my skis with Phantom pre-applied. I'm a newer skier so I don't really know what is involved with waxing skis, but I'm really loving the fact I don't have to remember to do this extra step.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly