• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Phantom Glide™ base treatment, how to avoid waxing recreational skis - Notes 2022

shadoj

Angel Diva
Despite my current eco-friendly wax use, Phantom now "seems" better given how much I ski. I tend to use things until they die, so this pair of skis will be with me until the end.

The best part was that this shop is a sports "campus" so when I wandered to the XC/running building, and found the maple-syrup-based energy foods I had sampled last winter (VT-based!)... I said "(stroop)waffle" and a standard poodle appeared under my hand. Instant melt! :love:
@TNtoTaos Tucker just couldn't get enough pets! That dog probably makes better margins than any human salesfloor employee ;)

Tennessee

Angel Diva
So basic question I guess. I got several (not deep) base scratches in the first two days on my new skis. Can I use Phantom on them now or should I have the bases ground out first? This is probably a dumb question, lol. And then what if I get scratches in the future after I treat with Phantom? When the bases are ground does it remove the Phantom treatment? I should probably google this but you guys are so helpful and I promise I haven’t asked a dumb question recently :wink:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
According to the info on their website, the Phantom treatment penetrates all the way thru the base, so it will not be removed by a base grind. They recommend a base grind before the application, but that's to remove all the accumulated wax; you can do it by cleaning them with a commercial wax remover, or with Dawn and/or alcohol. All of the instructions are on the website. As for deep scratches, you can repair them (or have them repaired) with PTEC, either before or after application. The Phantom actually bonds with the base of the skis, all the way thru.
Really, the website explains all of these questions very well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Tennessee DPS claims that Phantom penetrates the entire base of ski and you can base grind to "refresh" it. If your skis have wax currently on them, the wax should be removed first prior to Phantom application. Also, the chat on the DPS website was very quick and helpful if you want answers directly from them.
It's more than a claim. It's a function of how Phantom works to change the base material to make it more hydrophobic. Based on chemical reactions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So basic question I guess. I got several (not deep) base scratches in the first two days on my new skis. Can I use Phantom on them now or should I have the bases ground out first? This is probably a dumb question, lol. And then what if I get scratches in the future after I treat with Phantom? When the bases are ground does it remove the Phantom treatment? I should probably google this but you guys are so helpful and I promise I haven’t asked a dumb question recently :wink:
The ideal way to treat skis is to have a base grind down beforehand. But it's not necessary. I only did that for my Stormriders, which I only use out west. I skied them for a couple seasons before doing DIY Phantom.

Phantom changes the base material, which isn't that thick. Of course, a base grind removes a tiny bit of the base. What's left is completely treated.

I did a stone grind for one pair of my skis that were treated with Phantom. Pretty much had new, fully treated bases after that.

Small scratches don't make much difference to the overall glide of skis treated with Phantom. I don't get my bases ground every season and I'm skiing over 50 days a season. There are always a few new scratches.

shadoj

Angel Diva
My skis are back home after a base grind & Phantom at the shop. Will report back after tomorrow's challenging (warm, wet) conditions. Super excited!
I survived*! Spring-like, flat-light conditions. Pretty good snow, 40 degree temps start to finish. Skis seemed to run fine. All the minor dirt/grit/film from the grind + Phantom seems to have disappeared, and my BPs are back to their orange-glowy selves. Will update again when we have more winter-like weather!

*exited terrain-park cruise-through too early into a 3-ft drop into death cookies between it and the beginner run, whoops

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We decided to all take the plunge in December and got the whole family's skis done - 3 pairs. As we live in Washington and it was winter with very short windows of sun, paying a shop to do it in a cure station was a no brainer.

We've had them out several times since, good weather and bad, and absolutely no complaints - still feels like a fresh wax every time.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Phantom still holding up well since the last post. Glide is still great on sticky below-zero snow, great on wet 50 degree snow... only maintenance has been an occasional buffing of the bases with the cleaning pad. Over 30 days without waxing. Yep, totally worth it!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Phantom still holding up well since the last post. Glide is still great on sticky below-zero snow, great on wet 50 degree snow... only maintenance has been an occasional buffing of the bases with the cleaning pad. Over 30 days without waxing. Yep, totally worth it!
Agreed. I just got new skis, and am planning to apply Phantom soon!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78Diane