• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Petite Golfers

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What brand/length of golf clubs do you currently have? What kind of clubs did you learn with?

Currently I have a Maxfli standard length women's box set. In reality, we should have made a point to get me petite clubs when we purchased a couple summers ago, but we didn't. My golf pro seems to think I can make adjustments to compensate for the extra length, but I feel like I'm doing a lot of shrugging my shoulders and bending my arms in my setup to compensate, in addition to choking up on the clubs. Not only am I short, but my proportionally long arms are also adding to the problem.

So now, I'm debating if I a.) follow my golf pro's advice and just deal with it even if it's not a great fit or b.) sell my current set and buy petite clubs. I asked my pro about cutting my current set down, but he definitely discouraged against that since it would make the clubs significantly stiffer.

Apparently you should get fitted for golf clubs, just like we skiers go to bootfitters. :smile:

Stats: 5'1", wrist-to-floor measurement is 30"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Perhaps you should demo petite clubs and see if they feel much different at your current ability level. Try a 7-iron and a 3-wood at least. Most bigger places that sell clubs have a testing area set up.

Could try getting a used club or two and have those cut down before making a decision. How often do you think you're going to play?

Maybe get a second opinion about cutting down the clubs from someone who does that often? Thinking that you wouldn't change skis or boots only on the advice of one ski instructor. But of course I know nothing about your golf pro.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll have to see if any of our local shops have some petite clubs in stock.

I'm not sure how often I'll play. It seems kind of hard to gauge that at this point since I still have so far to go in the learning process. We've played the local chip and putt a few times so far this summer, and we played a game of best ball at a regular golf course. I only managed best ball a couple times. Wild inconsistency is the name of my game right now. :smile:

marz, do you have petite clubs? Did you learn with petite clubs or standard?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll have to see if any of our local shops have some petite clubs in stock.

I'm not sure how often I'll play. It seems kind of hard to gauge that at this point since I still have so far to go in the learning process. We've played the local chip and putt a few times so far this summer, and we played a game of best ball at a regular golf course. I only managed best ball a couple times. Wild inconsistency is the name of my game right now. :smile:

marz, do you have petite clubs? Did you learn with petite clubs or standard?
I got a mid-range set of clubs, bought from a small shop locally that is connected to a driving range. Pretty much learned with those for a couple years before having them cut down an inch. The place where I bought them could do the work. Never mentioned any concern about increasing stiffness. The recommendation came from a golf pro somewhere where we had lessons while on vacation as I remember.

Golf is game of inconsistency for a long, long time as far as I can tell. Even the pros puts a ball in the water or in the trees every so often.

I learned course management playing with the local EWGA club. For women of all abilities who either enjoy golf, or want to learn. They had a 9-after-5 weekly round that was perfect for learning. Could play with good golfers and see what they do on a regular 18-hole course. Very different from the driving range or going around a course with someone who isn't very good . . . like my husband. :wink:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I bought petite clubs, which seem fine for me. Mind you, I'm a pretty lousy golfer, but having my clubs in a bag, my glove and a bunch of old tees and balls makes me feel (sort of) like I belong. I can get around a course without looking totally inept, but am likely to lose several balls along the way. Oh well, gotta do something when the skiing's bad!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna