• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Petite, eager intermediate-level skier looking for an all mountain ski

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome fellow Bogus skier:wave: I imagine you're demoing from the two shops at the bottom of the hill. It's a shame they haven't had free demo days the last few years. Those are a great opportunity to figure out what you like. You should also check the Bogus rental shop. It's been several years since I've done it but they did have a performance rental and a decent selection. I actually hated the first ski I took out and they let me take a different one. All of the shops will apply your rental fee toward ski purchase but if you hate the ski you got from the bottom of the hill you're stuck with it for the day.

I've always done a ton of research on skis thinking I could read all these reviews and figure out what I wanted. Then I'd go to a demo day and hate all the skis that I was sure I'd like. I noticed a pattern. The quality that is most relevant to whether or not I like a ski is turn radius. I don't like anything with a short turn radius, skis with a medium turn radius are the ones I've liked best. Your Atomics have a short turn radius. BP88 also has a short turn radius. If you demo the BPs and don't like them, maybe look for a ski with a medium turn radius. Evo lists turn radius for all the skis they carry.
Short turn radius - BP88, Sheeva 9 & 10, Volkl Secret 96, Elan Ripstick 94, Santa Ana 88
Medium turn radius - Volkl Kenja 88, Rossignol Rallybird 92, Moment Sierra

I am also 5'2" but 30lbs heavier than you. I ski 160cm Black Crows Atris. It is a wide ski but it does surprisingly well on groomers. I'm not a quiver person. I have one ski and it needs to do everything. I'm sure a narrower ski would carve better on groomed runs but I only ski those when I have to. At a demo day in 2019 I tried the 178 Atris because that was all they had available. I did a groomed and off trail run on it. It was definitely too long for me. But I learned enough about the ski to buy the 160s. Another ski I really liked was the Moment Sierra. I tried the 162 and 172. I'd have bought 162s if I hadn't just got my Black Crows. You can definitely handle 150-160cm skis. Sadly, most shops push women toward shorter and less aggressive skis. I know several women your height and similar weight skiing 150-160cm skis.

I have a custom molded footbed probably from the same shop that's recommending you get them. I have pretty normal feet so I wasn't sure I needed it. I was having issues with the forward lean of my boot and I wanted to make sure I tried everything. The forward lean issue was solved by riveting my boots into walk mode. I was able to move the footbeds to new boots. They're about 14 years old now so the investment can be worth it.

I ski when it snows and my sister and I ski every Sunday. If you'd like to get together let me know!

molls

Diva in Training
Welcome fellow Bogus skier:wave: I imagine you're demoing from the two shops at the bottom of the hill. It's a shame they haven't had free demo days the last few years. Those are a great opportunity to figure out what you like. You should also check the Bogus rental shop. It's been several years since I've done it but they did have a performance rental and a decent selection. I actually hated the first ski I took out and they let me take a different one. All of the shops will apply your rental fee toward ski purchase but if you hate the ski you got from the bottom of the hill you're stuck with it for the day.

I've always done a ton of research on skis thinking I could read all these reviews and figure out what I wanted. Then I'd go to a demo day and hate all the skis that I was sure I'd like. I noticed a pattern. The quality that is most relevant to whether or not I like a ski is turn radius. I don't like anything with a short turn radius, skis with a medium turn radius are the ones I've liked best. Your Atomics have a short turn radius. BP88 also has a short turn radius. If you demo the BPs and don't like them, maybe look for a ski with a medium turn radius. Evo lists turn radius for all the skis they carry.
Short turn radius - BP88, Sheeva 9 & 10, Volkl Secret 96, Elan Ripstick 94, Santa Ana 88
Medium turn radius - Volkl Kenja 88, Rossignol Rallybird 92, Moment Sierra

I am also 5'2" but 30lbs heavier than you. I ski 160cm Black Crows Atris. It is a wide ski but it does surprisingly well on groomers. I'm not a quiver person. I have one ski and it needs to do everything. I'm sure a narrower ski would carve better on groomed runs but I only ski those when I have to. At a demo day in 2019 I tried the 178 Atris because that was all they had available. I did a groomed and off trail run on it. It was definitely too long for me. But I learned enough about the ski to buy the 160s. Another ski I really liked was the Moment Sierra. I tried the 162 and 172. I'd have bought 162s if I hadn't just got my Black Crows. You can definitely handle 150-160cm skis. Sadly, most shops push women toward shorter and less aggressive skis. I know several women your height and similar weight skiing 150-160cm skis.

I have a custom molded footbed probably from the same shop that's recommending you get them. I have pretty normal feet so I wasn't sure I needed it. I was having issues with the forward lean of my boot and I wanted to make sure I tried everything. The forward lean issue was solved by riveting my boots into walk mode. I was able to move the footbeds to new boots. They're about 14 years old now so the investment can be worth it.

I ski when it snows and my sister and I ski every Sunday. If you'd like to get together let me know!
I was hoping I'd find some fellow Bogus peeps here, nice to meet you! I doubt I'll be up this Sunday but if I do go on a Sunday soon I'll reach out. I'll definitely pop into the Bogus rental shop tomorrow and scope out the options, thanks for the tip.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think whether footbeds molded standing will give the support you are looking for depends some on your foot. If your arch falls a lot between unweighted/weighted you might find that style molds with too little (low) arch support. If you have a more normal arch it might be better. My arch falls a lot and these didn’t work super well for me.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think whether footbeds molded standing will give the support you are looking for depends some on your foot. If your arch falls a lot between unweighted/weighted you might find that style molds with too little (low) arch support. If you have a more normal arch it might be better. My arch falls a lot and these didn’t work super well for me.
I was really hesitant about insoles due to most regular insoles having a high-ish arch that will end up killing my arch after awhile. I flat out refused them in my first fitting, but after my liners packed out and I had to use some out of necessity, my next bootfitter was able to talk me into them. He really listened to my concerns and we ended up doing a really custom and careful process.

I LOVE my new footbeds. The best part? I can't feel that they are there! They just feel the right amount of supportive. I have lots of issues - like a big vein going across one that can't be pressed too much. He noted that not only do I have a low arch, the way it connects to my heel is apparently very unique and perhaps that's why I never felt super comfortable in off the shelf liners.

Short story: don't give up on custom insoles just yet!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m definitely for custom insoles… just saying a particular step on to mold style didn’t happen to work for me. I literally could not get my right pinky toe edge to engage for years (and kept asking about it in lessons) before my current bootfitter made my custom insoles. First time out with the new insoles (which have a decent amount of alignment correcting features built in) and I had it in a few turns. So the right footbeds can make a massive difference in your skiing. With that said, not everyone has alignment issues or other things that require that kind of in depth boot fitting work. Knowing your own feet and sorta where they fit on the spectrum I think is super helpful to converse with the fitter when getting a good boot fit, custom insoles made etc.

Last edited:

molls

Diva in Training
I did it! I got the BP88 147s. The shop sold the original demo pair AND the size up last night and I thought I was SOL- until they called today saying they were going to mount bindings on a new pair for me. I took them up, felt really unsure my first few runs but as I got used to the feel and pushed them onto steeper terrain and faster speeds, I really felt the upgrade in stability which was a big confidence boost. I actually enjoyed a run today that I used to hate because it was overwhelming on my old pair. I also realized that I never really was able to hold an edge on my old skis, so I spent a good part of the day getting a feel for a proper carve, rather than my usual slarving. I feel like they reward good habits and will be a great tool to progress with. I did a big thing today getting them, and I’m still in a little bit of shock that I did! Thank you all again for the feedback and support and advice, knowing I have a community of fellow ski divas has been immensely empowering already. Can’t wait to keep shredding:yahoo:

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
That's so exciting! Congrats on your new skis. It's amazing what a capable pair of skis can unlock for you.

I ski Bogus at least once a year. I live in Oregon, but my partner is from Idaho and we make a winter visit every year. So howdy to a fellow Bogus Basin ski diva!

I've owned the Black Pearl 88 (in 147 cm) and still own the Sheeva 10 in 156 cm. I also wanted to say don't let the length on the Sheeva deter you. I'm 5'1" and progressing intermediate when I bought the Sheevas and I got along well with them right away. They are a pretty easygoing ski with all the rocker they've got on them. Not that it matters anymore, since you are happily on your new skis!

molls

Diva in Training
That's so exciting! Congrats on your new skis. It's amazing what a capable pair of skis can unlock for you.

I ski Bogus at least once a year. I live in Oregon, but my partner is from Idaho and we make a winter visit every year. So howdy to a fellow Bogus Basin ski diva!

I've owned the Black Pearl 88 (in 147 cm) and still own the Sheeva 10 in 156 cm. I also wanted to say don't let the length on the Sheeva deter you. I'm 5'1" and progressing intermediate when I bought the Sheevas and I got along well with them right away. They are a pretty easygoing ski with all the rocker they've got on them. Not that it matters anymore, since you are happily on your new skis!
Oh awesome, where in Oregon do you ski? My partner and I have friends and family in the Bend area and want to get over to Mount Bachelor soon, we’ve never been before but it looks amazing. I do really want to demo the Sheevas eventually, but moving to the BP88s right now just made more sense.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Oh awesome, where in Oregon do you ski? My partner and I have friends and family in the Bend area and want to get over to Mount Bachelor soon, we’ve never been before but it looks amazing. I do really want to demo the Sheevas eventually, but moving to the BP88s right now just made more sense.
Small world. BP88s unite AND I'm in the middle of planning a Mt Bachelor ski trip in April! Any recs on where to stay? I've booked the Oxford Hotel, but am a bit worried about the parking situation. Congrats on the new skis btw!

molls

Diva in Training
Small world. BP88s unite AND I'm in the middle of planning a Mt Bachelor ski trip in April! Any recs on where to stay? I've booked the Oxford Hotel, but am a bit worried about the parking situation. Congrats on the new skis btw!
Unfortunately I don’t have recommendations for lodging, we just stay at Grandma’s house, haha.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately I don’t have recommendations for lodging, we just stay at Grandma’s house, haha.
Those sound like mighty fine accomodations!! :thumbsup: Do you like Bend? I've never been out that way at all. Kinda chose it blind cause I just bought an Ikon pass, haha, and I wanted a late season option and I'd never been there (I'm in Seattle now, was in CA before)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bachelor in April is a great idea! My only trip there was in early May. It was still good fun.

Since I have old friends who live in southern Oregon who joined me and my ski/travel buddy, we booked a house in Sun River. Staying in Bend makes far more sense though. Especially late season when it can be too warm to keep skiing after 1pm or so. We had a good time doing other sightseeing in the afternoons and early evenings.

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
I am in Portland and mostly ski Mt Hood Meadows. Bend is great though! I have only skied Bachelor once but it was a hoot, great place to ski.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bachelor in April is a great idea! My only trip there was in early May. It was still good fun.

Since I have old friends who live in southern Oregon who joined me and my ski/travel buddy, we booked a house in Sun River. Staying in Bend makes far more sense though. Especially late season when it can be too warm to keep skiing after 1pm or so. We had a good time doing other sightseeing in the afternoons and early evenings.
Loved your report and it's made me super excited, especially after seeing the beautiful pictures. Invaluable tips too, thanks so much! :love:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna