• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Petite, eager intermediate-level skier looking for an all mountain ski

molls

Diva in Training
I started skiing again as a young adult a season and a half ago on some 2014/15 Atomic Affinity Airs. They are 140cm, 74 underfoot with rocker tips (9cm splay, 15cm depth) and slight rocker tails (3cm splay, 7 cm depth). I got them second hand and didn’t put too much research into them as I had no idea what I wanted and just wanted to start skiing on something. Now, I feel like I’m ready for something that is a better match for my skill and style. I have a LOT of questions/considerations I would appreciate some help with, particularly from other petite skiers.

About me: 5’2” and 100lb. I would say that I am an all mountain skier and want to do a little bit of everything. I like the adrenaline of speed, the glide of fresh groomers, and I’m constantly eyeing side hits (though currently building the confidence to commit to them more as I usually chicken out). I have tried some powder/tree skiing and enjoy it when it goes well, but find myself struggling a lot getting caught/stuck, or not having the confidence to commit to the terrain. I don’t think my current skis are doing me any favors in that department though! I would also consider myself a solid intermediate with a desire to keep progressing, especially off-piste and in steeper terrain. My home mountain is Bogus Basin (Idaho, mountain west), I’ve skied around 20 days this season and expect to do 20-25 days again next season, if not more.

As far as research goes, I’ve read Blister’s 2021-2022 gear guide (is the 2022-2023 one worth buying for updated info re: women’s skis?) and checked out Outdoor Gear Labs list of women’s skis, as well as reading some of the threads here (I’m new though so not familiar with everything yet!). On paper, I ruled out most wider skis because the available lengths seem too long- ski length calculators put me between 143-150cm. I guess question number 1 is how big of a ski can I use before I get myself into trouble? I had initially ruled out the Sheeva 10 but upon more reading, the effective edge is shorter so it’s back on my list. On a related note, does ski waist scale with skier weight/height like ski length does? Is wider ski going to be more challenging than a narrower ski at the same length? Expanding my upper length limit would bring a lot more skis into consideration, but I also don’t want to demo/buy a ski that is going to be too big for me. Open to length suggestions for all options listed below.

With that in mind, the skis that stand out to me are the BP88, Elan Ripstick 94, Renoun Earhart 88, and Sheeva 9 or 10. Below is what I find appealing and what gives me hesitation about each one:

BP88 pros: stability for high speeds and choppy snow, has popularity going for it/tried and true.
BP88 cons/questions: concerned about lack of playfulness, still having my current problems off-piste and in powder (though can I expect less sinking in powder than the average person bc of weighing less?)

Ripstick pros: great playful/powder performance
Ripstick cons/questions: stability at high speed/rough snow, and would 94 be too wide for me for an all mountain? Am I going to suffer on groomers?

Earhart pros: better off-piste than BP88, light and forgiving
Earhart cons/questions: upon reading a full Blister review, it seems like a lot of the appeal of this ski is that it stiffens up under higher forces. My concern is that I won’t have the weight to push the ski to that point and that it would just be a soft ski under me.

Sheeva 9/10 pros: soft tails are appealing as my big off-piste hang-up is lack of confidence leaning forward and steering with my tips, progressive mount. After reading Analisa’s review it seems like a good fit (I’d put myself in her ‘ballsy intermediate’ category, ‘skiing cautiously but with rhythm and flow’ sounds exactly up my alley as I progress).
Sheeva 9/10 cons/questions: 10 might be a bit big? How do they compare to the Sheeva 9?

I know my ski shop has a BP88 147cm or 153cm that I can demo this weekend, and if I like one I could buy the demo pair with bindings for under $600 which is a pretty good deal. My other demo options are Volkl Kenja 88 149cm, Secret 96 156cm, or Rossignol Rallybird 92 154cm.

Aside from which ski to get, I also would appreciate input on how you decided when it was the right time to buy/when you felt you had enough info to make a decision with confidence. Budget is a consideration for me so the lower-cost demo BP88s are really appealing, but I also don’t want to rush into getting them and regret not trying other skis. Right now, I feel like all I can see are the costs to each decision- rushing into buying a good deal ski too soon that ends up being the wrong one, or spending a lot of time and money demoing a bunch of options and staying on my current less-than-ideal skis all the while- which is throwing a layer of buyer anxiety over what should also be a really fun, exciting purchase.

Your sage ski-buying advice will be much appreciated! Happy to provide extra details and information if I left anything important out, and I’m open to suggestions of things not on my list. Thank you!!:thumbsup:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! I'm a petite skier who is quite a bit older, but remember well starting to demo skis about 15 years ago when it was clear my daughter liked skiing so I was more likely to be going more often. If you demo the BP88 and like it, I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead and make a purchase. Do try both lengths. Either could work fine but one is likely to feel better than the other. I've been on a previous version of the BP88 and liked them. However, what I like doesn't mean that much except as info from another petite skier.

I have skis that are 85 underfoot as my all-mountain skis for big mountains out west.

What I was able to do was demo skis and then wait for sales during the spring or summer. For the first pair of good skis, I watched prices on eBay for a few weeks. Then saw a listing from a ski shop that matched the lowest price I'd seen. I was only looking at new skis that came with bindings to make the shopping process a bit easier.

There are advantages to buying from a local ski shop. Keep in mind that skis with demo bindings are relatively easy to sell when you are ready for something else.

Have fun demo'ing!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski width definitely scales like length for size. I know I have a limit on how wide I can go before I feel like I have two surfboards strapped to my feet. For reference, I'm 5'1" and 95 lbs. Advanced skier.

As far as length you can probably go longer than 150, but might want to try demoing in varying lengths so you can get a feel for what your preferred range is. I tend to prefer skis in the high 140s to low 150s range. Other small women here prefer to go a bit longer. Lately I've been settling mostly in the low 150s.

I haven't tried all the skis on your list but I have tried the BP 88, Kenja, and a narrower version of the Ripsticks. I was ski hunting for a wider pair of sticks to go with my race skis the last couple years, so here's a compilation of the skis I tried/my thoughts:

Obviously, you may find you like different skis than I do, so your mileage may vary on my opinions. lol

ETA: I also tried the Sheeva 9

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know my ski shop has a BP88 147cm or 153cm that I can demo this weekend, and if I like one I could buy the demo pair with bindings for under $600 which is a pretty good deal. My other demo options are Volkl Kenja 88 149cm, Secret 96 156cm, or Rossignol Rallybird 92 154cm.
I would definitely demo as many of those as you can.

I'm your height with about 10 pounds on you and I am on the BP88 @ 147cm. I have no regrets, but I also consider them a ski to grow on. Like you I was on a shorter ski with a smaller waist and was getting a TON of chatter at speed. The BP's are definitely more solid and stable feeling at speed. I do tend to get stuck in powder in them a LOT (going fast, fall in powder), but that's probably more of a technique/me thing. When I am able to stay upright, I have skied through powder on them just fine, lol. I wouldn't say they are especially great on powder though so the fact that you like to wander out on that would make me think wider for you.

I'd actually be really interested in demoing those Rossignol Rallybird 92 154cm for off-piste!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. How big of a ski can I use before I get myself into trouble?
You will probably answer this question yourself as you demo. I think you're best sticking with the shorter lengths still at this stage (<150cm) unless the effective edge is particularly short, as you are unlikely to out-ski any of your demo options and the shorter length is likely to mean you can actually manoeuvre vs needing to muscle around. Skis generally get a bit stiffer with length as well, so whether you can flex a ski should be a considerationn. I'm solidly intermediate, 158cm, currently 20lb heavier, and as reference I stay under 160cm for my skis and have not yet outskied my 156cm Kenja (2019 solid metal, 90mm waist). I probably could ski that ski in the 149cm, but for the newest Kenja I would stick with 156cm for myself.

On a related note, does ski waist scale with skier weight/height like ski length does? Is wider ski going to be more challenging than a narrower ski at the same length?
Yes, in that a lighter skiier will generally "float" more on a ski with a given surface area/construction than a heavier skiier. Blister has a wide-ski bias and doesn't really have a section of ~100lb petite female testers afaik, so don't always talk about how 88mm skis can work as well as wider powder boards for this demographic with the added bonus of less difficulty holding an edge on piste. I find my kenjas can give me sore knees on proper hard pack and ice simply with the width, so the Secrets may feel like boats! Good for powder but less so if you need to tip them on edge.

I also would appreciate input on how you decided when it was the right time to buy/when you felt you had enough info to make a decision with confidence
I demoed for nearly 2 years at free demo days so I knew what attributes I liked in a ski. This was partially budget related and partially having no idea about skis (coming from very old Rossi Bandits and rental skis, and realising that all the reviews I was reading were mostly irrelevant to me until I found Ski Diva). But if you love a ski when you demo it and hate any others you try then it's usually a good buy.

And of course...have you had a proper bootfitting? Are you in the right boots for your skill level and are they too big? Because if you've progressed this fast you may have outgrown your boots already, which are infinitely more important to get right than skis.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with everyone here to demo all that you can: even if you don’t end up loving and buying a demo ski, it will tell you a lot about what you like in skis, both in terms of shape and length, stiffness, width, etc. Each ski feels really unique but there are things you will know that you tend to gravitate towards for your all mountain, one ski quiver (since it looks like this is what you are looking for right now!)

I recently did this process as an advanced skier (5’3, 110-115 pounds) and ended up not purchasing any of the many skis I demoed, but used what I had learned to research online and mix all the aspects of the skis I liked. Truly found the perfect ski for me in the Moment Sierra skis in 162!

One note I will say, taken with a grain of salt as I haven’t tried this technology yet, but I think the Renoun Earhart skis don’t require weight to activate stiffness, but vibration instead. The material in them gets stiffer as it vibrates harder, which is caused by speed and poor snow conditions underfoot, in which case it shouldn’t matter how heavy you are, as this is happening on a molecular level within the ski. Someone who has actually tried this technology could chime in here to let me know how correct my understanding is from reading about it and listening to interviews only.

As for the “right time” to buy, I’d say it’s whenever you can afford skis and want to upgrade them. I’ve definitely been in the situation where I would have loved to get new skis but couldn’t afford it at the time. I didn’t upgrade my old rental skis for years because I was on a student budget and they worked well; but now my husband and I both got ourselves new skis because we could finally afford the investment and can actually get out and ski for the first time in a while (he is learning how to ski now, so we got him a set of beginner skis to learn on). As long as it’s something that is good for you and your family budget wise, skis are an investment in a sport you love that brings you joy. If you ski for at least a week every year, it also very quickly becomes cheaper to own skis rather than rent.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Sheeva 9 is great off piste, it’s what gave me the confidence to really start working on bumps and off piste in general a handful of years ago. I personally don’t care for the Sheeva 10, but some really like that too. Another you might want to add to the demo list, if available, is the Volkl Blaze 86 and even 94.

Demoing should help you shed a light on your preferences. Ski choice is really subjective, and only you can decide what you like. For me it’s usually pretty obvious, I go with the ski that makes me smile and I don’t want to give back. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I would put the Rallybird the Secret along with the Sheeva 9 as off piste skis. These skis would not be a choice for groomers except to get home at the end of the day.

Blaze instead of the Secret.
Experience 84W instead of the Rallybird

A lot of "light weights" like the Head Joy's.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As someone who has used the Sheeva 9, in the East, for a mostly daily driver for a handful of years.. I can confidently say that it’s a great groomer ski as well. I can carve exceedingly well on it too. Obviously different strokes for different folks, but it is misleading to say this ski is not a choice for groomers except to get home as a general statement. That is absolutely not true for many people at all.

The Sheeva 9 is quite good at everything, outside of very extreme ice.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I see @tinymoose already voiced in - she was the first one I thought of when I read your stats!

Ski flavor is very personal, everyone likes something different which is why demoing is so valuable. If you find a "ski spirit animal" = someone that loves the same skis as you, then you can safely take their feedback when demoing my length isn't an option. I have one of those and am very grateful!

I ski in New England and also love the Sheeva 9 - I ski it on everything from firm groomers to boot top new snow and it is fantastic. It is not the best tool for the firm groomers, but it does just fine and frankly that isn't where I like to play anyway. If the groomers are firm, there is usually soft stuff on the edges/berms and that is where I will be. If it is bullet proof, yes, I choose something narrower, but other than that the Sheeva 9 is a solid and super fun all mountain - I have a brand new pair waiting to be mounted and I am turning my old pair into teaching/rock skis. Heads up, it is changing significantly for 2024 and so far the reviews from people I have spoken to prefer the current version.

Blaze 86 is another great all mountain ski. Several of us took it to Taos and handled everything beautifully from groomers to the peak.

Time to buy is now in terms of price, plus many mountains are starting to sell their demo fleet as well.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
IMHO, I would just buy those demo BP88's and call it good. Excellent, versatile ski, and would end at least some of your dilemma in the roundtable of choices.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My home mountain is Bogus Basin (Idaho, mountain west), I’ve skied around 20 days this season and expect to do 20-25 days again next season, if not more.
From what I know of Bogus Basin and skiing in Idaho/Wyoming in general, having skis that are 85-90 underfoot would be good at this stage for a petite skier who is rapidly improving.

When I was an adventurous intermediate starting to have powder lessons at Alta, my instructor (very experienced Level 3 from the southeast) didn't want me on skis wider than 100mm even when the snow was more than boot deep. That was about ten years ago. For that matter, Arthur recommends no more than 100 underfoot even for my friends who are far taller and heavier if they want a powder lesson.

I have skied my powder skis (bought used from a Diva a few years ago) on groomers and my all-mountain skis in fluffy powder. The all-mountain skis are much more versatile. Had great fun with them at Grand Targhee in knee-deep powder for a couple days several years ago. Took quite a few years of fairly regular semi-private lessons during ski trips to destination resorts to develop enough technique to ski wider skis designed for soft snow on groomers effectively.

molls

Diva in Training
1. How big of a ski can I use before I get myself into trouble?
You will probably answer this question yourself as you demo. I think you're best sticking with the shorter lengths still at this stage (<150cm) unless the effective edge is particularly short, as you are unlikely to out-ski any of your demo options and the shorter length is likely to mean you can actually manoeuvre vs needing to muscle around. Skis generally get a bit stiffer with length as well, so whether you can flex a ski should be a considerationn. I'm solidly intermediate, 158cm, currently 20lb heavier, and as reference I stay under 160cm for my skis and have not yet outskied my 156cm Kenja (2019 solid metal, 90mm waist). I probably could ski that ski in the 149cm, but for the newest Kenja I would stick with 156cm for myself.

On a related note, does ski waist scale with skier weight/height like ski length does? Is wider ski going to be more challenging than a narrower ski at the same length?
Yes, in that a lighter skiier will generally "float" more on a ski with a given surface area/construction than a heavier skiier. Blister has a wide-ski bias and doesn't really have a section of ~100lb petite female testers afaik, so don't always talk about how 88mm skis can work as well as wider powder boards for this demographic with the added bonus of less difficulty holding an edge on piste. I find my kenjas can give me sore knees on proper hard pack and ice simply with the width, so the Secrets may feel like boats! Good for powder but less so if you need to tip them on edge.

I also would appreciate input on how you decided when it was the right time to buy/when you felt you had enough info to make a decision with confidence
I demoed for nearly 2 years at free demo days so I knew what attributes I liked in a ski. This was partially budget related and partially having no idea about skis (coming from very old Rossi Bandits and rental skis, and realising that all the reviews I was reading were mostly irrelevant to me until I found Ski Diva). But if you love a ski when you demo it and hate any others you try then it's usually a good buy.

And of course...have you had a proper bootfitting? Are you in the right boots for your skill level and are they too big? Because if you've progressed this fast you may have outgrown your boots already, which are infinitely more important to get right than skis.
Awesome info, thanks. My intuition was that 88mm would probably feel wider for me than an average skier, and that seems to be confirmed by the advice here. Regarding boots, I did go to a boot fitter earlier in the season and landed in the Salomon S Pro Alpha 90s. They are comfortably snug, no hot spots, I can wear them as tight as I need for responsiveness and have yet to have them bother me, even on really long days so far. Now that I've broken them in, I'm considering upgrading the insoles from the dinky factory standard ones in them right now. The shop I go to pushes fairly heavily for the pricier custom ones where you stand on the hot squishy platform, but I'm not 100% convinced on that yet. Would love to hear input on what folks think of them- I assume there's probably an existing thread on those?

molls

Diva in Training
I see @tinymoose already voiced in - she was the first one I thought of when I read your stats!

Ski flavor is very personal, everyone likes something different which is why demoing is so valuable. If you find a "ski spirit animal" = someone that loves the same skis as you, then you can safely take their feedback when demoing my length isn't an option. I have one of those and am very grateful!

I ski in New England and also love the Sheeva 9 - I ski it on everything from firm groomers to boot top new snow and it is fantastic. It is not the best tool for the firm groomers, but it does just fine and frankly that isn't where I like to play anyway. If the groomers are firm, there is usually soft stuff on the edges/berms and that is where I will be. If it is bullet proof, yes, I choose something narrower, but other than that the Sheeva 9 is a solid and super fun all mountain - I have a brand new pair waiting to be mounted and I am turning my old pair into teaching/rock skis. Heads up, it is changing significantly for 2024 and so far the reviews from people I have spoken to prefer the current version.

Blaze 86 is another great all mountain ski. Several of us took it to Taos and handled everything beautifully from groomers to the peak.

Time to buy is now in terms of price, plus many mountains are starting to sell their demo fleet as well.
I think the Sheeva 9 is top of my demo list now, and that's really good to know that it's going to change. I plan to keep my Atomics so I'll have a narrow ski available, in case I need it/want a rock ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The shop I go to pushes fairly heavily for the pricier custom ones where you stand on the hot squishy platform, but I'm not 100% convinced on that yet. Would love to hear input on what folks think of them- I assume there's probably an existing thread on those?
I didn't get custom heat-moldable footbeds until my second pair of boots from an experienced boot fitter. Fair to say I learned about them from reading ski forum threads about buying boots. Was well worth it. I moved them into the next pair of boots. My feet aren't that complicated. Helped to have better arch support.

However, there are footbeds designed for ski boots that are in the $40-60 range that could be an option. Just helped a friend get some at REI. My niece got some after I found a great deal on boots for her. They weren't a perfect fit but she was skiing infrequently and the boots I found were far better than any rental boots. Adding the footbeds solve a problem in the one boot that didn't fit perfectly, mostly because it helped with her high arches (ballet dancer).

molls

Diva in Training
Welcome! I'm a petite skier who is quite a bit older, but remember well starting to demo skis about 15 years ago when it was clear my daughter liked skiing so I was more likely to be going more often. If you demo the BP88 and like it, I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead and make a purchase. Do try both lengths. Either could work fine but one is likely to feel better than the other. I've been on a previous version of the BP88 and liked them. However, what I like doesn't mean that much except as info from another petite skier.

I have skis that are 85 underfoot as my all-mountain skis for big mountains out west.

What I was able to do was demo skis and then wait for sales during the spring or summer. For the first pair of good skis, I watched prices on eBay for a few weeks. Then saw a listing from a ski shop that matched the lowest price I'd seen. I was only looking at new skis that came with bindings to make the shopping process a bit easier.

There are advantages to buying from a local ski shop. Keep in mind that skis with demo bindings are relatively easy to sell when you are ready for something else.

Have fun demo'ing!
Thanks for the heads up on demo pairs being easier to sell, that's not something that crossed my mind but makes a lot of sense. Given that plus all the other advice I've gotten here, my plan is to demo the BP88 in both lengths and if I like one, I'll get it knowing I can probably sell it later. Going forward, I'm definitely going to demo things when I get the chance and learn what I like by ya know, actually trying on the mountain instead of agonizing over numbers, haha.

molls

Diva in Training
The Sheeva 9 is great off piste, it’s what gave me the confidence to really start working on bumps and off piste in general a handful of years ago. I personally don’t care for the Sheeva 10, but some really like that too. Another you might want to add to the demo list, if available, is the Volkl Blaze 86 and even 94.

Demoing should help you shed a light on your preferences. Ski choice is really subjective, and only you can decide what you like. For me it’s usually pretty obvious, I go with the ski that makes me smile and I don’t want to give back. :smile:
Last night after reading feedback and refining my plan/mindset, I was feeling a lot more confident and went to bed grinning and giddy :smile: definitely going to let my joy and excitement guide my decisions!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm around your size @molls - 5'1 @105 - definitely older. Lots of good suggestions here! I have the Sheeva 9 and 10's and ski primarily @ Tahoe.

JayZeeSquared

Certified Ski Diva
We're in the same boat! I'm 5'0, 108lbs skiing on Blizzard Elevate 139 cm with 77 underfoot. I feel like I have progressed beyond the capability of my skis as I'm riding harder runs. My skis chatter as I had more confidence to go faster so I am seeking stability.

I really wanted to demo BP 88 or Santa Ana 88/93 in 151cm but both of those models were not available so I rode on Head Total Joys 85 in 153cm. In general, I was pretty nervous to ride on skis that were significantly longer than my current ones, but it was great. I instantly noticed a change in stability and I could still get the skis on their edges. I was honestly ripping it on the mountain that day lol. I will say the only time I really felt the length difference is when I would be standing in the lift lines and I would get my skis crossed.

I think my next challenge is to figure out if I want to stay in the high 80s for my underfoot or if I should go 93/94. I felt like I could get through anything in the 85s.. crud busters as I call them. When I was riding, the snow was choppy but soft, yet it was still a smooth ride. I got a month left to demo skis. I do think I will stick with a low 150cm length.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome info, thanks. My intuition was that 88mm would probably feel wider for me than an average skier, and that seems to be confirmed by the advice here. Regarding boots, I did go to a boot fitter earlier in the season and landed in the Salomon S Pro Alpha 90s. They are comfortably snug, no hot spots, I can wear them as tight as I need for responsiveness and have yet to have them bother me, even on really long days so far. Now that I've broken them in, I'm considering upgrading the insoles from the dinky factory standard ones in them right now. The shop I go to pushes fairly heavily for the pricier custom ones where you stand on the hot squishy platform, but I'm not 100% convinced on that yet. Would love to hear input on what folks think of them- I assume there's probably an existing thread on those?
Love mine. I have standard-level difficult feet (flexible flat feet, lower volume heels, bunion and bunionette, but not a tricky heel/ instep volume / length ratio) and then keep my feet on place and stop them splooting. Factory standard has no support at all so a stopgap is getting something like superfeet which are 1/4 the price of the fancy insole (which is what I do for my snowboard boots)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna