• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Personal hygiene with an injury

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seems like a silly question but I was hoping I might find some helpful ideas. I have a cast on my right leg covering foot almost up to knee. Nurses say sponge baths -- 8 weeks of sponge baths?? Thankfully i can wash my hair,face, etc. easily. A friend who broke her ankle put a plastic chair in the bathtub, wrapped the cast with a plastic bag each time, etc. Mr. SS proposes to lift me in and out of tub. That's a lot of weight to be moving---which is probably ok for him but I'm highly independent and would like to figure out a method that will work on my own. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel for you! When I broke my leg, I was from Sep.26 to December 3 in a non-removable cast. I did the sponge bath thing for quite awhile, then I bought a stool that I could put in the shower (I fortunately have a walk-in) and had a cover for my cast. If you have a combo bath/shower, I'll suggest you get a stool and a plastic basin. Sit at the tub and do your sponge bath. For me, the bath wasn't so much a bother, but washing my hair was a disaster!!! I was fortunate that my tub spout is at the middle of the tub instead of the end, so I could lean over the tub to get my hair wet. I would still get p*ssed off enough once in awhile that I'd go to the local discount haircutters and ask them to wash my hair for me.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get thee a cast cover. I got a Seal Tight adult long leg cast cover to use after surgery (unfortunately the store had them out of stock, so I didn't have one right from the beginning, which was a pain). Once I got it, it was great. It totally kept water out, and being able to shower made me feel like a human again.

Here's the kind I used.

I also put a shower bench in the tub. A plastic chair or anything similar works, too, as long as it fits in the tub.

Good luck and ++++healing vibes++++

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First and foremost you need a shower head that can be hand held.

When Mr SnowHot broke his leg, I prepped the house with rubber backed rugs, and a new shower head that he could hold in his hand and direct the water.

Then we put a plastic bag on his leg with painters tape(because it will remove easily and not pull the skin too much).

The shower will have to be quick but it beats sponge baths, for sure!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing I forgot to mention:
When you get out of your cast, your leg is going to be really grungy with dead skin. Be ready with something to totally exfoliate your leg, especially your foot. Soap and water isn't going to cut it! I used Lush Volcano - it is a "foot mask".

Jilly

Staff member
When Hubby has his ankle in a cast we got a special shower cover. Sounds just like the one num is suggesting. Got it along with the medical "supplies" he needs. We have a separate shower, so in went a stool and him. He wasn't 8 weeks, only 3, but had the fiberglass one for at least a month after the plaster.

It's a pain, but you'll get through it.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I had an ankle to thigh leg cast, used tall kitchen sized garbage bags, punched a hole through the bottom, put my foot through, and then waterproof taped the top and bottom onto my leg. I was living in a dorm at the time, so no access to a hand-held shower head -- that would have been nice! I would then balance on one foot b/c the cast leg was bent. Now that I read what I wrote, it sounds sort of primitive...

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great Suggestions

Thanks Divas! I knew I could get some great suggestions!
At the moment, my cast gets removed and replaced every week because the position of the foot in the cast gets adjusted from being down (neutral, no pressure on Achilles) to closer to position to be able to stand on--so hopefully there won't be so much dead skin under there..but who knows? Certainly glad to know about special stuff to use if needed. We don't have a walk in shower just a combo tub/shower but I think some kind of stool/chair should be workable. Cast cover sounds like a great suggestion or bags in the meantime. A handheld shower would be extremely useful. It can all be managed. But you definitely realize JUST how much you had enjoyed those long wonderful showers at will!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two suggestions, especially since the cast will be changed regularly....
Take a zip lock bag with a wet wash cloth to the apt with you.
If your ortho is like my husbands, they will let you use your washcloth to clean up a bit but they will not provide one for you.

Tip Two, ask them how quickly you can get an air type cast.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Air type cast

Not sure what an air type cast is but it sounds lighter and that sounds nice. Had been in a splint after surgery so just got first cast--noticeably heavier but manageable.
I will definitely ask--thanks for suggestion SnowHot.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but since a friend just went through a curshed heel and I've taken care of details for my husband's many injuries, here is what I do know:

Friend with crushed heel had a traditional cast for the first 4 weeks, changed regularly due to swelling and cleaning of the surgery area.
He had an air cast for a couple weeks after than, then a steel splint when he was starting to put weight on it(with crutches).

DH has had casts a few times but its never a good thing because he has shop tools and the Ortho is never happy with the "creative work" he does on the cast to make it "more comfy"

The wash cloth in a zip lock is a Must! It doesn't cost you anything to take it just in case, and you may be really happy to have it if you can use it.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great info; thanks for providing! We will definitely bring the wash cloth along just in case.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best of luck with this!

When I had a particularly ugly injury many years ago, I had a cast on one leg and a full-leg brace on the other. AND, I lived in a fourth floor walk-up. I couldn't take a shower, so baths became my best friend. You'll do great, especially with all this great Diva advice. For me, all I could do angle my body down into a bathtub...I really learned how to fully appreciate baths again...and, I do to this day!

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have already heard this, but there are great cast covers with neoprene cuffs that will help you be almost normal. Also, if you usually shave your legs, be prepared for that! :fear:

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have a gym membership already, SkiSpirit, you may want to consider going there sometimes for showers. Many, like mine, have an adapted shower stall with a seat, telephone-style shower head, and grab-bars. That's what I did recently while braced due to knee damage. I was already heavily reliant on family, so it was rather nice to do something 'by myself.' (Eventually I could take a cab or be dropped off.) Plus there's always someone around, which is reassuring. Showering safely and rather comfortably also gave me a reason to go to the gym, even if I could barely do any 'real' exercises, which helped with the mental health side of equation.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks again -- many, very helpful suggestions -- I knew the Divas would be a great source! Never would have thought of gym -- but that's a great idea! Also, appreciate many good wishes in general!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an ankle that I chronically break and sprain. When it's casted I take a 5(?) gallon bucket, like the big plastic paint buckets, turn it over, throw a towel on it and sit right there. The leg just goes out over the tub. I also have a shower head on a hose thingy, so I can pull it down to me when I do this.

How long will you be in the cast? Good luck and lots of healing wishes!

skiester

Certified Ski Diva
well I am in the same boat right now with my broken ankle. I bought a seal tight but only used it once.. What I do now is: I have a walk in shower: I just sit on the floor with the cast leg on the bath. If your bathtub is not aside your shower like mine, you can also use a chair or a kids step-up to put it on. Then, a must is a handheld showerhead, and I shower every day: my cast has never been wet, I can wash my hair etc.

Another option is (I did that when I slept @ my parents) to sit in the bathtub and put your leg on the side of the bath. If you have a handheld shower head (again) you can spray yourself.

At the hospital here in Amsterdam, they sort of clean my leg with a soap spray, and then they let me rub it off with a towel. Shaving is not a good idea: although it looks gross, don't do it, because your skin will get very irritated in the cast. Better to wait until the cast comes off indefinitely. For me it will be Thursday!! I bet I will feel very naked without cast!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for specifics that worked in each of your cases!

Skiester-congrats on getting the cast off Thursday! Be sure to post steps that follow. I'll be reading along to see what's coming up for me (I assume).

Had a bath today -- what bliss!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly