• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Personal Demo Day 3/27/2022 - Moment Sierras, Black Crow Justis & Mirus Cor, Elan Ripstick 96

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Conditions: firm in the morning, softening throughout the day, to too soft off groom (boot sinking), to fun corny, slushy groomers by late day

Me as a skier: 118lbs, 5'5'', an aggressive skier who likes to go fast on groomers, prefers to challenge myself on the off groomers, loves tree skiing, open steep bowls, tries to follow my husband (former freestyle mogul racer) in the bumps so I play in the bumps and really loves the challenge of getting down them. I like making a variety of turns and I like a ski that is not too stiff and burly but not too soft and easy to overpower and is fun when speeding on the groomers but also fun to change up the turns on the ungroomed runs. I spend most of my days' backcountry skiing mellow glades, trees, big open bowls, couloirs in all types of conditions. So resort skiing always feels more relaxing and just fun to play. Past skis I have own dynafit mystic in 159 (hated), rossingol maunga in 158 (fun when I got back into skiing then outgrew), atomic century in 165 (loved until I outgrew and they are too soft), atomic millennium in 169 (great powder ski), and black crows daemon birdie in 165 (current all-mountain backcountry ski set up and really enjoy this ski). All past skis were bought without trying them out before purchasing

My goal for the two days of skiing in McCall - is to try out the Moment line of skis (they have been on my radar for a while) and then just try 3-4 (or more) mid-90ish style skis until I found something I love or got a better idea of what I love or don't love in a ski (I have a pretty strong idea based on my style of skiing). Have fun since I have never demoed skis before. I live in a pretty remote area so I don't get the opportunity to ever test ride. No expectations of my personal demo day.

Situation - the performance rental shop on the mountain had lots of skis but not always in my size. They were selling their demos since it was the end of the season which ended up me trying some skis that were never on my radar but were fun to try out. Due to this, I only got to try the Moment Sierras which was my top one of the line going in but a bit bummed they didn't have the Hot Mess at all and the Bellas were either way too short or way too long. I tried to ski each ski for a couple of hours. I even skied a few runs on my Black Crows Daemon Birdie just to compare (still a fun ski).

#1 - Moment Sierras, 172 in length, 122-99-115, turning radius 21.5
This ski I took out at the beginning of the day until about 11 am and again at 3 pm. My initial reaction was just a steady, stable, fun ski no matter what I skied. It carved really well on soft and firm groomers. I could make a variety of turns - gs turns, tight turns, quick turns in the bumps. If I need to check my speed, I could slash my tails and slow down. I just didn't want to give up this ski I was having so much fun.

#2 - Black Crows Mirus Cor, 173.2 in length, 131-87-122, turning radius 13
I took this ski out about late mid-day to mid afternoon. My initial reaction was a quick shorter turn, steady ski with a bit of flair. Super unique ski. It really loved carving on the groomers. It really only made tight quick turns but was still super stable as things got a bit slushier. It was super fun and unique and playful. It would be a fun ski for groomers and hitting little features.

#3 Elan Ripstick 96, 164 in length, 133-94-108, turning radius 18
I took this ski out mid-day. My initial reaction was so-so ski. Nothing made me excited about the ski. I felt like I overpowered the ski. Way too easy to initiate turns. The tips got a bit more bounced around in more chunked-up snow. I think this ski would be fun for someone who is looking for a ski that is easy to turn and trying to advance as a skier. For me, it was just an average ski with nothing special about it. Kind of skis okay in everything so for an intermediate skier who likes a ski who turns easily this is a ski to look at.

#4 Black Crows Justis, 171.3 in length, 136-100-121, turning radius 20
This is the only ski I only did two runs on them in the late afternoon. Initial reaction a burly, heavy ski that only likes to do big GS turns. I had a feeling this ski was going to be too much but I thought what the heck let's try it. I learned I could still drive a big ski but not something I enjoy. It really needs someone who enjoys driving a big ski all day and likes making big GS turns fast.

Lesson learned - I can ski all types of ski confidently even if I don't like them. Skis that are just over 170 in length are not too long for me. Elan's might have been too short. That I loved the Moment Sierras. The next day I went and rented them all day and had no desire to try anything else all day. I was just having too much fun playing with them in the changing conditions throughout the day.

Verdict: At the end of the full day on the Moment Sierras, I ended up buying the demo setup. So now I have a dedicated resort ski which I haven't had in 20 years. All my others have backcountry touring bindings and until recently I have been thinking about having two setups and not abusing my backcountry stuff on the resort.. Now I wish it wasn't the end of the season because all I want to do is play and push this ski and try it out on some fresh snow.

Last edited:

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sierras really do sound like such a special ski. How did you feel about the mount point? It's pretty close to center isn't it?
I would have to go double check the demo set up I bought. It looked pretty close to center. The mount point felt right during the day. They really are a special ski. I was amazed with 99 underfoot how fun they were on groomers.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I would have to go double check the demo set up I bought. It looked pretty close to center. The mount point felt right during the day. They really are a special ski. I was amazed with 99 underfoot how fun they were on groomers.
Thanks fot the report. Sad you didn't get to try the Hot Mess (which I loved demoing), but I did want to hear about the Sierra since it's on my quiver shortlist for a wider ski, and will remain there ;) Wish the season was longer so you'd get more time to play on your new skis!

Factory mount point is -5cm on the Moments, so not too far off center.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blister just posted a flash review where they said directional skiers might struggle a bit with factory mount point. The reviewer said she enjoyed it a lot more when she moved it back a cm. I'm looking forward to their full review.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks fot the report. Sad you didn't get to try the Hot Mess (which I loved demoing), but I did want to hear about the Sierra since it's on my quiver shortlist for a wider ski, and will remain there ;) Wish the season was longer so you'd get more time to play on your new skis!

I was a bit sad too they didn't have the Hot Mess. They definitely catered to wider underfoot skis. It must be what most individuals ask for. They had lots of skis around 95-108 underfoot. I was hoping to try more 90 underfoot skis since when I resort ski the backcountry isn't safe or all that good and we are usually skiing the resorts when it hasn't snowed in a while. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Sierras handled the groomers. I could really get them on edge and mix up my turns for how wide they were underfoot. I wish the season was longer too. My husband said something to look forward to for next season. :becky:

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
I bought the Sierras (172 with Look Pivot 12 bindings) earlier this year - they are a blast -I love them! Too bad that I only skied 9 days this season. I was concerned about them being too long but the next size down was 162 cm which is too short for me ( I'm 5' 7"). I mostly ski at Palisades and they handled the crusty crud we had in January and February really well. Moguls were fun, steeps were exhilarating and the groomers were fantastic on the Sierras. I was skiing on Blizzard Sambas prior and those feel like a 1970's station wagon compared to the sport car Sierras. I did experience a little chatter on the Sierras when I was going really fast but not enough to put it in the negative column. These are some fun skis!

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the Sierras (172 with Look Pivot 12 bindings) earlier this year - they are a blast -I love them! Too bad that I only skied 9 days this season. I was concerned about them being too long but the next size down was 162 cm which is too short for me ( I'm 5' 7"). I mostly ski at Palisades and they handled the crusty crud we had in January and February really well. Moguls were fun, steeps were exhilarating and the groomers were fantastic on the Sierras. I was skiing on Blizzard Sambas prior and those feel like a 1970's station wagon compared to the sport car Sierras. I did experience a little chatter on the Sierras when I was going really fast but not enough to put it in the negative column. These are some fun skis!
I noticed a little chatter when I was going really fast on groomers but it was so negligible for 99 underfoot that it really didn't rise to the negative column for me either. I have experienced serious chatter on lighter and/or wider skis on groomers that compared it really didn't seem like an issue on these skis.

Bummer you only got 9 ski days this season. It has definitely been a funky ski season. I am really not ready for it to be over. I feel like it never really got going. I am hoping we get some good spring conditions to still get out in the backcountry and ski some of the bigger lines.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sierras really do sound like such a special ski. How did you feel about the mount point? It's pretty close to center isn't it?
I know I'm really late to the party here but I've skied the sierras at -5 and really did not get along with them. Changed the mount to -6 and love them! I felt like the tails were too long at -5. I have no formal training, just my preference for that ski!

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for posting this review! I love my Moment skis but am a newer skier (this will be my 4th season) on the east coast. I'm always interested in reviews for more experienced and aggressive skiers. The Hot Mess (152 with the pink marble top sheet) were the first skis I bought (just before my 2nd season) followed by a pair of Sierras (162 with the wolf top sheet). I loved both but they are now too short -- though the Sierras are ok, and will always be special. This year I got a new pair of Sierras (179 so slight eek, so they are also wider than the 162, but so much rocker...) and can't wait.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for posting this review! I love my Moment skis but am a newer skier (this will be my 4th season) on the east coast. I'm always interested in reviews for more experienced and aggressive skiers. The Hot Mess (152 with the pink marble top sheet) were the first skis I bought (just before my 2nd season) followed by a pair of Sierras (162 with the wolf top sheet). I loved both but they are now too short -- though the Sierras are ok, and will always be special. This year I got a new pair of Sierras (179 so slight eek, so they are also wider than the 162, but so much rocker...) and can't wait.
Please update if you can!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Conditions: firm in the morning, softening throughout the day, to too soft off groom (boot sinking), to fun corny, slushy groomers by late day

Me as a skier: 118lbs, 5'5'', an aggressive skier who likes to go fast on groomers, prefers to challenge myself on the off groomers, loves tree skiing, open steep bowls, tries to follow my husband (former freestyle mogul racer) in the bumps so I play in the bumps and really loves the challenge of getting down them. I like making a variety of turns and I like a ski that is not too stiff and burly but not too soft and easy to overpower and is fun when speeding on the groomers but also fun to change up the turns on the ungroomed runs. I spend most of my days' backcountry skiing mellow glades, trees, big open bowls, couloirs in all types of conditions. So resort skiing always feels more relaxing and just fun to play. Past skis I have own dynafit mystic in 159 (hated), rossingol maunga in 158 (fun when I got back into skiing then outgrew), atomic century in 165 (loved until I outgrew and they are too soft), atomic millennium in 169 (great powder ski), and black crows daemon birdie in 165 (current all-mountain backcountry ski set up and really enjoy this ski). All past skis were bought without trying them out before purchasing

My goal for the two days of skiing in McCall - is to try out the Moment line of skis (they have been on my radar for a while) and then just try 3-4 (or more) mid-90ish style skis until I found something I love or got a better idea of what I love or don't love in a ski (I have a pretty strong idea based on my style of skiing). Have fun since I have never demoed skis before. I live in a pretty remote area so I don't get the opportunity to ever test ride. No expectations of my personal demo day.

Situation - the performance rental shop on the mountain had lots of skis but not always in my size. They were selling their demos since it was the end of the season which ended up me trying some skis that were never on my radar but were fun to try out. Due to this, I only got to try the Moment Sierras which was my top one of the line going in but a bit bummed they didn't have the Hot Mess at all and the Bellas were either way too short or way too long. I tried to ski each ski for a couple of hours. I even skied a few runs on my Black Crows Daemon Birdie just to compare (still a fun ski).

#1 - Moment Sierras, 172 in length, 122-99-115, turning radius 21.5
This ski I took out at the beginning of the day until about 11 am and again at 3 pm. My initial reaction was just a steady, stable, fun ski no matter what I skied. It carved really well on soft and firm groomers. I could make a variety of turns - gs turns, tight turns, quick turns in the bumps. If I need to check my speed, I could slash my tails and slow down. I just didn't want to give up this ski I was having so much fun.

#2 - Black Crows Mirus Cor, 173.2 in length, 131-87-122, turning radius 13
I took this ski out about late mid-day to mid afternoon. My initial reaction was a quick shorter turn, steady ski with a bit of flair. Super unique ski. It really loved carving on the groomers. It really only made tight quick turns but was still super stable as things got a bit slushier. It was super fun and unique and playful. It would be a fun ski for groomers and hitting little features.

#3 Elan Ripstick 96, 164 in length, 133-94-108, turning radius 18
I took this ski out mid-day. My initial reaction was so-so ski. Nothing made me excited about the ski. I felt like I overpowered the ski. Way too easy to initiate turns. The tips got a bit more bounced around in more chunked-up snow. I think this ski would be fun for someone who is looking for a ski that is easy to turn and trying to advance as a skier. For me, it was just an average ski with nothing special about it. Kind of skis okay in everything so for an intermediate skier who likes a ski who turns easily this is a ski to look at.

#4 Black Crows Justis, 171.3 in length, 136-100-121, turning radius 20
This is the only ski I only did two runs on them in the late afternoon. Initial reaction a burly, heavy ski that only likes to do big GS turns. I had a feeling this ski was going to be too much but I thought what the heck let's try it. I learned I could still drive a big ski but not something I enjoy. It really needs someone who enjoys driving a big ski all day and likes making big GS turns fast.

Lesson learned - I can ski all types of ski confidently even if I don't like them. Skis that are just over 170 in length are not too long for me. Elan's might have been too short. That I loved the Moment Sierras. The next day I went and rented them all day and had no desire to try anything else all day. I was just having too much fun playing with them in the changing conditions throughout the day.

Verdict: At the end of the full day on the Moment Sierras, I ended up buying the demo setup. So now I have a dedicated resort ski which I haven't had in 20 years. All my others have backcountry touring bindings and until recently I have been thinking about having two setups and not abusing my backcountry stuff on the resort.. Now I wish it wasn't the end of the season because all I want to do is play and push this ski and try it out on some fresh snow.
I also went with the Moment Sierras, after demoing a bunch of other skis and not quite loving them; I took the chance and went for them untried based on what I read from others, including the reviews on here. I absolutely love them, and am so glad I took the chance! They truly are incredibly fun and yet such surprisingly stable skis that make everything on the mountain such a blast. They are also so surprisingly light after all the skis I demoed, yet not too light where they were getting tossed around. Absolutely my favorite ski I've ever skied, and its cool to see others enjoying them as much as I did!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna