• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Performance skis for a Level 3 exam

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone,

I am starting to work on my L3 exam and have been told by my L2 examiner that I should get a narrower more performance-oriented ski (which seems to mean it should be in the 70s underfoot or less). My main ski is my Kästle LX82 (156cm) and I'm almost 5 feet and around 130 pounds. I ski aggressively in familiar terrain but feel less confident in unfamiliar terrain. The skis I've been looking at to help me push to the next level technically are the following. I would love some pros/cons of them and where you guys find these skis to be for women looking for more performance, improving abilities, and having fun. I'm leaning towards the 1st 3 in the list...but go back and forth between them all in my head...

Stöckli Laser MX (67 underfoot, size 158, 3.02 kg) - women-specific, but it may be too narrow of a focus... (lighter skis are always a benefit for me)
Stöckli Laser AX (78 underfoot, size 154 [3.32 kg] or 161 [3.44 kg]) - may not be narrow enough...but also a little more versatile?
Rossignol Hero Elite MT CA (74 underfoot, size 159, 3.6 kg [lighter because this is sized up and I think it was listed incorrectly]) - MT stands for multi-turn and may give a bit more versatility? CA stands for carbon and it replaced titanal to make it a little lighter.
Blizzard Firebird Competition 76 (76 underfoot, size 158, 3.2 kg) or HRC (same specs) - The difference is that Comp 76 doesn't have the extra carbon armor, which doesn't seem to make much difference via reviews except in cost, but these may be too stiff versus the Laser MX?
Head Power Joy (68 underfoot, size 158 or 163), Epic Joy (65 underfoot, size 158 or 163), or Super Joy (75 underfoot, size 158 or 163) - leaning more towards the epic or power. Feel like the super may be too much like what I already have. And these are women-specific as well. Didn't find a lot of reviews on the other 2 though... and these may not be advanced enough for what I'm looking for...

Thanks for any input, experiences, suggestions, or ideas!!!
Jenny

Jilly

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Rossignol Hero Elite MT CA (74 underfoot, size 159, 3.6 kg [lighter because this is sized up and I think it was listed incorrectly]) - MT stands for multi-turn and may give a bit more versatility? CA stands for carbon and it replaced titanal to make it a little lighter.
Blizzard Firebird Competition 76 (76 underfoot, size 158, 3.2 kg) or HRC (same specs) - The difference is that Comp 76 doesn't have the extra carbon armor, which doesn't seem to make much difference via reviews except in cost, but these may be too stiff versus the Laser MX?
Head Power Joy (68 underfoot, size 158 or 163), Epic Joy (65 underfoot, size 158 or 163), or Super Joy (75 underfoot, size 158 or 163) - leaning more towards the epic or power. Feel like the super may be too much like what I already have. And these are women-specific as well. Didn't find a lot of reviews on the other 2 though... and these may not be advanced enough for what I'm looking for...

Jenny

I own the Hero MT CA. Yes the CA stands for Carbon. I found that with this ski, the tails seem to release too early for my liking. I also has the Hero ST Ca from a few years ago. They don't make that one anymore. Have to go with the Ti, which I hope to demo early this season.
Haven't found a Joy I like yet. But that's why we say demo.
Blizzard - my rep recommended the tuned down race ski - SRC for me for my next level. (CSIA L3) I don't know much about the Competition 76. Somehow I ended up with the Nordica SLC which I find a little stiff.

So I would suggest you search up a demo day early this season. Pro-deals only last so long.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What's your home mountain?

My L3 instructor at my home mountain in northern VA loves his Stöckli Laser SC. He's a small older man who is also a trainer at Massanutten. Almost all his training for the L3 exam was done at small hills in VA or WV several decades ago. I demo'd a pair a Whitetail several years ago and quickly understood why even though I was on skis that were a bit long (Stöckli Laser SC 156, 122-72-103, R12.3). But couldn't justify spending that kind of money for mid-Atlantic skiing. Ended up with the Stormrider 85 a year later. I'm 5'0", 110 pounds, pretty strong for over 60, advanced but not aggressive. Not an instructor but have worked with over a dozen different L3 instructors in recent years after I could plan for 20+ days skiing at big mountains out west.

Several of the Taos instructors who have been teaching for decades use the Laser SC as their teaching ski.

I bought the Head Absolut Joy for mid-A and northeast skiing a few years ago. Also demo'd the Total Joy when I was considering what to buy to replace the skis I had before that were 75 underfoot. I like the AJ but think you are right that the Joy line may not be enough for you.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone,

I am starting to work on my L3 exam and have been told by my L2 examiner that I should get a narrower more performance-oriented ski (which seems to mean it should be in the 70s underfoot or less). My main ski is my Kästle LX82 (156cm) and I'm almost 5 feet and around 130 pounds. I ski aggressively in familiar terrain but feel less confident in unfamiliar terrain. The skis I've been looking at to help me push to the next level technically are the following. I would love some pros/cons of them and where you guys find these skis to be for women looking for more performance, improving abilities, and having fun. I'm leaning towards the 1st 3 in the list...but go back and forth between them all in my head...

Stöckli Laser MX (67 underfoot, size 158, 3.02 kg) - women-specific, but it may be too narrow of a focus... (lighter skis are always a benefit for me)
Stöckli Laser AX (78 underfoot, size 154 [3.32 kg] or 161 [3.44 kg]) - may not be narrow enough...but also a little more versatile?

Jenny

The Joy series can be a bit soft. I'd avoid all of those.
Where will you be taking your skiing exam?

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you ladies. Jilly, it sounds like you've had a chance to demo several skis similar to what I listed. That's awesome. If you get to Demo the Ti, let me know what you think!

My home is Snow Creek in Weston, MO. Midwest area, so Demo is hard to come by... especially high end skis. I do teach at Breckenridge for 7 days a year, so I get some skiing in out there, but I'm pretty limited since my day job is at a school for the blind. I squeeze it all in somehow. So getting input from those that have demoed or own is about as close as I can get. I also have most of my family in VA and spend time in the state every year. I got married on skis a couple years ago at Bryce. Loved it!

So it sounds like the Laser AX might be a better option than the MX and maybe the Rossi... and probably not the Joy collection. I will continue to look here for more input. It's nice to hear comments from other women as well.

Thank you.

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
The Joy series can be a bit soft. I'd avoid all of those.
Where will you be taking your skiing exam?
Hi!
Thanks. OK sounds like the verdict is too avoid Joy for now. I'm not sure where the exam will be. The plan is to take it next year. Most L3 exams in the Midwest are held in MI or IL or WI or MN. Wherever it may be offered that we decide to go.
Thanks!

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! Just an update...I now have 2 of the 4 sections of the L3 exam passed. And got some more advice on skis... and a few that I can actually try. The Rossi hero MT and possibly Stockli are at the top of the list currently. Just having trouble finding a ski in the right width and height lol. If there are any more suggestions, let me know!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Hi. Congrats on your progress. I know how hard a journey it is. I would suggest not using a female specific ski for the exam. I have heard from several examiner friends that skilled women sometimes can't show energy and can't get rebound and dynamism.

I did my Level 3 10 years ago and used a Progressor 8+. If you're into Head, try the I-rally. Perfect for all those tasks. I'd stay at a 11 to 13 radius and a 72 -76 underfoot. Minimal rocker.

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Hi. Congrats on your progress. I know how hard a journey it is. I would suggest not using a female specific ski for the exam. I have heard from several examiner friends that skilled women sometimes can't show energy and can't get rebound and dynamism.

I did my Level 3 10 years ago and used a Progressor 8+. If you're into Head, try the I-rally. Perfect for all those tasks. I'd stay at a 11 to 13 radius and a 72 -76 underfoot. Minimal rocker.

Hi, thanks! I have heard about the i-rally... I think this year they changed the name to e-rally lol. I'll have to keep that energy idea in mind. Haven't been told that yet, but I'll be checking it out. I have a friend here that is a rep for head so I might try them out to see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Hi, thanks! I have heard about the i-rally... I think this year they changed the name to e-rally lol. I'll have to keep that energy idea in mind. Haven't been told that yet, but I'll be checking it out. I have a friend here that is a rep for head so I might try them out to see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!
It has been my teaching ski now for years. I got a new pair last season and didn't get a new pair this year. Season last year ended early and I wasn't sure we'd even have one this year!

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
It has been my teaching ski now for years. I got a new pair last season and didn't get a new pair this year. Season last year ended early and I wasn't sure we'd even have one this year!

I know right!!! COVID... go figure... well, guess we'll see what I can find this season!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Out of interest - in New Zealand, I was chatting to a couple of instructors on the lift this last season, one L3 and one who was about to sit her L3 exam, and they had I suppose cheater race skis that had a radius of 17-20ish. I asked about it (I was about to do my L1 at the time and was on skis of 11 radius lol) and they said that for the high level exams it was better to have a longer radius ski so that they could better show "ski performance" and, I suppose, bending the ski more into shorter turns?

This is all for the NZSIA exams but I wonder if it's somehow different to PSIA?

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Out of interest - in New Zealand, I was chatting to a couple of instructors on the lift this last season, one L3 and one who was about to sit her L3 exam, and they had I suppose cheater race skis that had a radius of 17-20ish. I asked about it (I was about to do my L1 at the time and was on skis of 11 radius lol) and they said that for the high level exams it was better to have a longer radius ski so that they could better show "ski performance" and, I suppose, bending the ski more into shorter turns?

This is all for the NZSIA exams but I wonder if it's somehow different to PSIA?

Ooooh...that's interesting.... I have not heard about this idea of having a larger turning radius to show the bend in skis and its performance. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, but in a unique way, it does. I might have to bring this up to one of my groups this week. If I find anything out, I'll respond back here. I am doing a few movement analysis clinics this week, so I'll see. Thanks for the info!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I definitely get the "show the bend in the ski" concept. That's what I was getting at when I suggested not to ski on a softer women's ski. But radius, in my mind, doesn't impact whether I can bend a ski. One can ski a short radius ski in a longer turn and if you're strong and dynamic, and balanced, it'll bend. I think the short radius makes sense for those Level 3 tasks -- (assuming they are somewhat the same) pivot slips, converging hop turns, pain in the S turns, performance shorts, bumps, etc.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah interesting, I see! I was intrigued by the concept that having a longer radius ski was better for demonstrating ski performance, and now even more intrigued that it might not actually be the case. It sounds like a stiffish ski is more important than the radius.

I tried looking up what ski tasks the L3 candidates have to perform here in NZ, but all I found so far is "Candidates are required to ski at an expert level, which is a strong and technically accurate skier making dynamic short, medium and long radius turns on all groomed terrain".

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
I definitely get the "show the bend in the ski" concept. That's what I was getting at when I suggested not to ski on a softer women's ski. But radius, in my mind, doesn't impact whether I can bend a ski. One can ski a short radius ski in a longer turn and if you're strong and dynamic, and balanced, it'll bend. I think the short radius makes sense for those Level 3 tasks -- (assuming they are somewhat the same) pivot slips, converging hop turns, pain in the S turns, performance shorts, bumps, etc.

Ahhh yes. That is true. More bend can be seen in the large radius turns when the speed increases and more forces are acting on the skis as you work with those "g" forces. ;) Also, the short radius turns have to be more dynamic if they are to be consistent I think. I definitely think having a larger turning radius would make bending the ski for short turns much more difficult and you'd have to be dynamic in order to get it to bend in those kinds of turns. Interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly