• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Peloton or Echelon?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Peloton is launching barre classes tomorrow!!! I’m so happy about this! I LOVE barre and was bummed they didn’t have it when I first looked into the app, a lot of people were constantly asking for it on social media pages too. There are a lot of very excited ladies right now! :yahoo:

Ooh, I'm going to have to take a look at that!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ooh, I'm going to have to take a look at that!

So I’ve done a couple of the 10 min quick barre classes yesterday and today, wow am I not in barre shape anymore because it hurts !! Lol Looking forward to trying the longer ones when I’m feeling brave.

P.S. for anyone looking for a cheaper connected bike, apparently Amazon and Echelon partnered on doing a “prime” bike exclusively available from Amazon. I think it’s supposed to be in the sub $500 range, so not all of the bells and whistles but a great value for some I’m sure!

MissySki

Angel Diva
She’s here!!!
Please ignore the super boring space lol, the room is still a work in progress to transform into a tranquil spot and needs decorating. Not pictured behind me is also a pile of bins that I’ve yet to finish going through. Though I’ve made a crazy amount of progress over the past few weeks versus the last almost 3 years we’ve lived here. :rotf: I’m motivated to finish it now though! It was easy to ignore when I just kept the door closed as “storage”, but now that I’ll have to look at it everyday it’ll drive me up a wall and will need to be finished off asap. Zoey the Pelopug is already very intrigued by the new addition, and very relieved that the delivery guys have vacated the premises. A3C8EB65-CD5D-4728-92BF-7E639D9CC8EA.jpeg

gingerjess

Angel Diva
She’s here!!!
Please ignore the super boring space lol, the room is still a work in progress to transform into a tranquil spot and needs decorating. Not pictured behind me is also a pile of bins that I’ve yet to finish going through. Though I’ve made a crazy amount of progress over the past few weeks versus the last almost 3 years we’ve lived here. :rotf: I’m motivated to finish it now though! It was easy to ignore when I just kept the door closed as “storage”, but now that I’ll have to look at it everyday it’ll drive me up a wall and will need to be finished off asap. Zoey the Pelopug is already very intrigued by the new addition, and very relieved that the delivery guys have vacated the premises. View attachment 13671

Congrats on your delivery! I'm so glad you were able to get the bike you wanted with minimum delay, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

Zoey looks to be hamming it up for the camera a bit and I can't blame her. Having her space invaded like that! She deserves some attention. :rotf:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Echelon-Amazon partnership might be fake news...Per the Morning Brew today:

On Tuesday, Echelon Fitness released a $500 workout bike “in collaboration with Amazon” called the EX-Prime Bike. Those quotation marks are sarcastic air quotes as much as they reflect Echelon’s actual language because...

There was no collaboration

On Tuesday evening, Amazon disavowed any connection to the bike. “Echelon does not have a formal partnership with Amazon,” a spokesperson told Bloomberg. “This bike is not an Amazon product or related to Amazon Prime.”

Tell that to Peloton, whose stock fell as much as 7% when news broke that Amazon was supposedly peddling into living rooms.
Bottom line: Even though Amazon has nothing to do with the bike, the episode once again highlighted concerns around Peloton’s luxury prices. Its forthcoming cheaper treadmill costs $2,495 and its cheapest bike will set you back $1,895, potentially leaving it vulnerable to lower-cost alternatives like the one Amazon just unintentionally pump faked.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Congrats on your delivery! I'm so glad you were able to get the bike you wanted with minimum delay, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

Zoey looks to be hamming it up for the camera a bit and I can't blame her. Having her space invaded like that! She deserves some attention. :rotf:

Yesterday I had a work golf outing (which really equaled me doing the beginner clinic since I don't know how to play golf.) By the time I got home it was dinnertime, so I didn't get to do a ride on day 1 as I'd hoped.

Skip to this morning when I decided to try it out. Now, I've been a completely lazy slug for the last couple of months and I haven't done much except yoga throughout and my recent additions of core and barre classes the last couple of weeks as well since early March.. and oh goodness did it show! lol I'm starting with the 6 week beginner series to ease into the Peloton cycling world, and yep that first 20 minute class was NOT easy! :rotf: Well, I did great for most of it and then couldn't keep up with the last interval's resistance setting so had to lower it a little.

First impressions.. LOVE IT!!! I got on the bike (in my first ever clip in shoes.. shout out to the Nike cycle super reps..) and got things started. Synced my Apple watch for the HR monitor by holding it up to the camera which was awesome. The class starts and bam I felt like I was in a studio face to face with my instructor. I was totally caught up in it, even talking back at the instructor right away in response to what he was saying. Being my first ride on the bike there was a lot to take in on the screen, and this made me appreciate the auto resistance even more than I thought I would. He'd tell me what was coming and I could keep an eye on my cadence and resistance numbers without having to deal with switching anything with the resistance knob (until that last interval haha). This was AWESOME. It wasn't just nice because I didn't have to fiddle with it, though to be honest that always annoyed me in spin classes a bit, so there is that perk, but the other thing is that with that feature on I was like whatever I'm going to let it do its thing and see how it feels. In spin classes I could choose to be a little more conservative (ahem lazy lol) if I didn't actually want to do what the instructor was saying. Here I could certainly override what the instructor says as well, but it's extra effort and I felt more accountable to not do that unless I definitely knew I couldn't handle the cadence at said resistance level after trying it. So I think it will push me, and certainly adds to the immersive experience. The screen felt huge (looking forward to trying a scenic ride), I loved that and the speakers were very loud. I actually had to lower it even though I was home alone. The speakers are definitely complained about on the old bike all the time on social media with people saying you need to use a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, so I think this must be a huge improvement. Haven't tried my air pods with it yet, but didn't feel the need to either, unless I was trying not to disturb someone.

So far it's 2 thumbs up for me, hopefully that just continues as I go along. :thumbsup:

MissySki

Angel Diva
@gingerjess not sure if you are a fan of Britney Spears or not, but I did Cody's Britney ride yesterday and it was SO MUCH FUN! It's saying a lot that I wanted to ride on a Sunday, usually I reserve the weekend for not working out haha. Mostly because all winter I ski on the weekend and then in the summer I carry it through..

gingerjess

Angel Diva
@gingerjess not sure if you are a fan of Britney Spears or not, but I did Cody's Britney ride yesterday and it was SO MUCH FUN! It's saying a lot that I wanted to ride on a Sunday, usually I reserve the weekend for not working out haha. Mostly because all winter I ski on the weekend and then in the summer I carry it through..

I'll have to take a look; the playlist for that ride looks really fun!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'll have to take a look; the playlist for that ride looks really fun!

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, funny how some songs go so well with working out. The spin classes I used to do at the gym didn't use mainstream music I knew, so this is a huge improvement because I can get into it more haha. It's also great trying different instructors and Cody is super fun, I can see why so many people recommend his classes. I did a ride with Robin today, she's awesome as well and I like her music choices too. So many classes and program, so little time.. :rotf:

kiki

Angel Diva
I’m curious, doubt I’ll ever get my hubby to agree to an indoor bike purchase, however did watch some videos and check out prices. yikes! Anyway, my question: Do you need special shoes?? I saw for peloton they sold bundles with shoes, are those required?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I’m curious, doubt I’ll ever get my hubby to agree to an indoor bike purchase, however did watch some videos and check out prices. yikes! Anyway, my question: Do you need special shoes?? I saw for peloton they sold bundles with shoes, are those required?

For the Schwinn I bought, the pedals have straps so you can wear regular sneakers on one side, and SPD attachment points to click in with cleats on the other. SPD isn't a special "spin bike" thing, though; it's used for pedals and shoe cleats across a whole range of biking varieties.

I think generally it's a good idea to use either clips or SPD shoes for spinning, specifically because unlike on a regular bike, the pedals won't stop just because you stop pedaling. You could injure yourself if your feet come off the pedals while they're still powered by a 40lb flywheel.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Keep on the lookout if you are interested. Supposedly they will be offering refurbished bikes soon from all of the people trading in for the new bike+. They'll be cheaper and also include a warranty, just not sure when they will be available yet.

For Peloton you can also use a friend's referral code to get $100 of free accessories, so you can use that for shoes, or whatever else you need. I personally used this for a mat and cleats and then bought Nike shoes separately because the reviews didn't make it sound like the Peloton shoes would fit me well. You can also buy an attachment from them (not shown online, but you can call and order them) which are cages that clip onto the pedal so you can use regular sneakers to bike. I believe they are ~$35 or so. I used to use the cages for spin classes at the gym because I didn't have the shoes, but I am liking being clipped in now because it feels more efficient and comfortable on my feet. I used to feel like my feet would slide around a little in the cages if they weren't adjusted just right and it hurt my toes some. Definitely doable though!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Most serious cycle people I know has this for off season training. I just bought a trainer and set it up last night. I'm not serious, just want some cardio. So I didn't spend that kind of money...it'll do for what I want.
I just set up my old fluid trainer and zwiftified it with Wahoo speed and cadence sensors for $75. Damn my first ride was a blast. I am hooked and hardly spent any money getting started because I am using my road bike and an old dumb trainer.

MissySki

Angel Diva
You guys, I’m totally fan girling over here lol.. I just did a Bon Jovi ride with Andrea Barber (Kimmy Gibbler for any other Full and Fuller House fans). The ride was super fun as I love Bon Jovi, and she high fived me. So that made my workout today. :becky:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly