• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Peloton or Echelon?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Drama ensued this afternoon!

Just past 3:00, I refreshed the tracking page to see that the package had been marked as delivered at 2:51, but the doorbell hadn't rung. I ran downstairs and checked outside, but the bike was nowhere to be found! R got on the phone with Schwinn and settled in for a two-hour wait, while I called up FedEx.

It was quickly established that two digits of our address had been switched on the shipping label! R ran the two blocks and found the package intact, and settled in to keep guard while I got the car (neither of us felt like dragging a 150lb box that far). We managed to load the bike up and drag it up the stairs to our apartment without further incident.

All's well that ends well. :yahoo:

MissySki

Angel Diva

Just past 3:00, I refreshed the tracking page to see that the package had been marked as delivered at 2:51, but the doorbell hadn't rung. I ran downstairs and checked outside, but the bike was nowhere to be found! R got on the phone with Schwinn and settled in for a two-hour wait, while I called up FedEx.

It was quickly established that two digits of our address had been switched on the shipping label! R ran the two blocks and found the package intact, and settled in to keep guard while I got the car (neither of us felt like dragging a 150lb box that far). We managed to load the bike up and drag it up the stairs to our apartment without further incident.

Omg what an ordeal!!! So glad you found it and got it back safely, phew!! Oh 2020, the gift that keeps on giving.. lol

As an aside.. we had a FedEx box sent to a wrong address this week too. However, it wasn’t within walking distance it was a completely different part of town and when they went to pick it up they sent it back to the sender rather than bringing it to us! The person on the phone was like “yeah, I have no explanation for why the driver did that, I’m so sorry!”. So she put in an interception to get it turned around, it’s currently in PA and we are in MA. :doh:

Jenny

Angel Diva

You’re lucky someone didn’t helpfully call the police on the “porch pirates” who were stealing a big package!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
As an aside.. we had a FedEx box sent to a wrong address this week too. However, it wasn’t within walking distance it was a completely different part of town and when they went to pick it up they sent it back to the sender rather than bringing it to us! The person on the phone was like “yeah, I have no explanation for why the driver did that, I’m so sorry!”.

That's so frustrating! We've been having our own woes with UPS since we moved into this apartment; one day we'll get a package delivered, the next we'll get a notification that our address doesn't exist and we need to come pick something up. I was excited to have FedEx for a change!

You’re lucky someone didn’t helpfully call the police on the “porch pirates” who were stealing a big package!

I was honestly a little worried! We were in and out way too fast for the fuzz though. :cool:

This calls for a cocktail. :beer:

Just finished mixing a mojito! R picked some fresh mint at the community garden; would hate to have it go to waste!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
That's so frustrating! We've been having our own woes with UPS since we moved into this apartment; one day we'll get a package delivered, the next we'll get a notification that our address doesn't exist and we need to come pick something up. I was excited to have FedEx for a change!

This is the story of my life. We're located at the juncture of two UPS service areas, so one is always saying we're the other's responsibility. Things end up ping-ponging back and forth between the two until they eventually get returned to the sender. To avoid this happening with the Echelon bike, I had it delivered to a UPS distribution center and went to pick it up there. It's half an hour away, but it was worth it.

Congrats on your new bike, @gingerjess ! Let us know how you like it.

Last edited:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Thoughts after assembling the Schwinn IC4:
  • There's a step in the instruction manual that's flat-out incorrect. It says "Make sure the Handlebar Post Adjustment Handle engages the holes in the Handlebar Post." There are no holes in the handlebar post; it's entirely a friction fit. The adjustment handle screws in and applies pressure to an inner collar that clamps against the handlebar post. This is fine, but it led me to spend several minutes searching online to find out if my handlebar post was defective.
  • The instructions tell you to make sure that the adjustment handles for the rise on the handlebar post and the forward-back translation on the handlebars are pointing in particular directions. Don't worry too much about these directions when screwing the handles in; they're built such that you can pull out on the handle to disengage it from the screw and reorient it in the appropriate direction once the screw is fully tightened.
  • The assembly manual points out that the pedals are directional (there's a left one and a right one), and they're clearly marked as such. The manual doesn't point out that the water bottle/weight holders are also directional. The left cage is clearly marked on its packaging, but not otherwise, so I'd leave both in their wrappers until you're ready to mount them.
  • You must attach the bracket that holds the bike computer and water bottle holders to the bike before attaching anything to it. If you attach the bike computer to it first, you will not be able to get it into position.
  • The connector attaching the bike to the computer looks pretty fragile. Probably best to wait until everything else is fully assembled before connecting it; that way you can be sure you only have to do it once. I wish they'd put more thought into cable routing; the wire is just kind of loose.
  • They've attempted to shoehorn the pedal wrench into also being a Philips-head screwdriver. Don't bother with it; it's awful and a pain. Have your own screwdriver.
  • The cord on the power adapter is relatively short (about six feet total) and connects at the front of the bike. This could end up being a pain when positioning the bike in your exercise room, especially if you'll be moving it away from the wall in order to ride it. I haven't figured out a good way around this yet.
  • The USB port on the computer provides power to charge a device even when the computer is off. The heart rate monitor the bike comes with can be charged from this port, but I don't know if I'm going to do that long-term, since I'd have to swap out a cable whenever I ride the bike to charge my phone instead.
  • Despite posts on other forums, the bike does not come with an exercise mat. It does come with two SPD cleats and nuts, which I didn't use since I already had a set for my shoes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, Peloton made their official announcement of the Bike+ this morning. I2 will go up by about $200 from what the original was and the original will go down to ~$1900. Sooooo, I can either get the few hundred dollars of savings reimbursed to me if I stay with my original order, or pay $200 more for the new bike since mine hasn't arrived yet. I need to call and find out exactly when the new one will be available though, it looks like you'll be able to order tomorrow but I'm not sure what that would mean for arrival time.. I'm leaning towards getting the upgrade as long as my delivery time won't be dramatically impacted. I mean, I'd love if I could keep my original delivery date in 2 weeks, but not sure how likely that is.. I already tried calling this morning thinking they opened at 8am, but it is actually 9am.. lol. I'm assuming I'll have to call back tomorrow when it's officially available, but might as well try.

Last Friday my company announced that every employee will have the option to get reimbursed for $1500 for something we have been struggling with at home such as daycare, elder care, home schooling, FITNESS.. Since I have no kids, it's the fitness for me for sure, and it makes it super easy to want to spend a little more since I was not anticipating this help on the bike at all. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, spoke with Peloton this morning, and after looking at my account and speaking to the delivery team they confirmed I can keep my same delivery date if I upgrade. However, I also have to call tomorrow to a number they provided because they can't process anything for the new bike or tread until then.. So I will be on the phone at 9am, crossing my fingers what I was told was accurate. I did it through a chat and definitely sent myself the transcript as proof of this confirmation lol. Not that it'll do anything if they get completely swamped before I can get in (which is completely possible because there is a HUGE amount traffic with people freaking out right now. Especially those who haven't received their bikes yet or want to upgrade within their 30 day trial window.. We'll see how it goes.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
@gingerjess have you ridden your bike yet, any review to share yet??

Not yet unfortunately! It's been uncomfortably hot here, and with the fires the air quality has also been shot, so we've been keeping the windows shut. The upshot, with no A/C (typical for SF) is that I haven't been willing to dump the amount of heat into the house that I would produce on a real workout.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not yet unfortunately! It's been uncomfortably hot here, and with the fires the air quality has also been shot, so we've been keeping the windows shut. The upshot, with no A/C (typical for SF) is that I haven't been willing to dump the amount of heat into the house that I would produce on a real workout.

Ahhh yeah understood.. Ugh I hope the fires end soon in general :(

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds you were prepped for the change in product and prices with Peloton, @MissySki . I might be annoyed. But what a great perk from your employer! Let's see, offset the cost of the bike upgrade, a new yoga mat, Pilates mat, a couple of well chosen kettle bells or weights, hhmmmmmm. :tongue:

Fires continue. It's awful and sad. Bad air quality, and the loss...heartbreaking, scary.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It sounds you were prepped for the change in product and prices with Peloton, @MissySki . I might be annoyed. But what a great perk from your employer! Let's see, offset the cost of the bike upgrade, a new yoga mat, Pilates mat, a couple of well chosen kettle bells or weights, hhmmmmmm. :tongue:

Fires continue. It's awful and sad. Bad air quality, and the loss...heartbreaking, scary.

I am somewhat annoyed lol, I feel like this sort of thing always happens once I finally decide to buy something.. However, I'm super pleased now that the delivery time was longer than I originally wanted since it "should be" easier to get things rearranged than if I'd already received it.. in theory. A ton of people are trying to do the same, along with everyone who got it within the last 30 days and everyone else haha. So we'll see what happens!

I was completely shocked by my company's announcement. So so grateful! They are doing this by recycling some of the many savings being realized from everyone working from home for all of these months. We usually have all free food in our cafeterias, monthly parking garage passes, electricity, etc which are all not being used now. More companies should be doing this! They are also giving us a modest $40 per month going forward to help with at home expenses of electricity or internet for having a home office. I recently got a new office chair and floor mat for my office from a different initiative, some people got standing desks if they wanted them. They are pretty awesome to us!

Ugh the fires are so terrible, I've been seeing stuff about ones in Montana too. They are getting some snow though, so hopefully this helps there. So heartbreaking and scary. :( One of the reasons I find it hard to want to move out of the comparatively wet Northeast. Years ago I researched moving to CO, and my ex husband's company had a site there so it was a real possibility. However, on the plane over to visit for the first time, we met a couple who had lost everything (house, pets..) in a wildfire and then promptly moved to NH since it was so wet and they didn't ever want to go through that again. They left in the morning and then trying to go home that day everything was blocked off and they couldn't even get their pets! They tried walking.. That story stuck with me so much I was horrified and just had no desire to do the move anymore. I know plenty of people obviously live in all of these areas and never have a problem like this, but it just freaked me out so badly..

Last edited:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
The weather was actually kind of cool this morning, with relatively clear air, so I opened some windows and did a quick 20 minute Peloton class this morning. First impressions are that the Schwinn is extremely quiet due to the magnetic resistance, and I enjoyed the Groove class I took with Emma Lovewell. The Schwinn resistance levels don't match up with Pelotons, and I wasn't quick enough at doing the conversion in my head, so I'll probably put up a conversion chart by the bike.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I was hearing a ton of chatter so I ended up calling my local Peloton store and they said you absolutely cannot keep your same delivery date and it will likely be 4-9 weeks or in some cases 5-10 weeks to get the new bike. The worst part is that you have to cancel your existing order and repurchase BEFORE you get a new delivery date. Soooooo yeah, now I don't know what to do as I've completely worked myself up to wanting the new bike and have major FOMO :rotf:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe there’s a best of both worlds scenario? Keep your current order and delivery date, order the new model too, then sell the first one when the second one arrives. Someone else might be happy to get a nearly new one without the wait time of ordering directly?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe there’s a best of both worlds scenario? Keep your current order and delivery date, order the new model too, then sell the first one when the second one arrives. Someone else might be happy to get a nearly new one without the wait time of ordering directly?

Sooooo, yesterday as soon as I could order the new one I did because it showed 1-3 weeks for delivery in my area. However, when I checked out it wouldn't give me a delivery date and I still haven't been able to get one. Some people in MA have deliveries setup for next week already! I'm quite ticked off as I've waited on hold multiple times for hours at a time to get someone to fix this and I haven't been successful. I was just on the phone with them again and I'm told supposedly no one can schedule right now until their self scheduler is back online, so who knows how far back my date will be when it's ever fixed.. I don't even really believe them at this point though because I've been told so many different things. I do feel really bad for the staff manning the phone and chats that are being totally overwhelmed with these issues.. Not to mention the people ridiculously pissed that they are outside of the 30 day window for getting the $350 + tax refund they instituted due to the price drop on that model (I actually got that credited back to me already).

I do still have my original order delivery set up (which they will not allow me to move that delivery date of 9/23 to the new order because they "don't have that capability.."). So the plan at the moment is to take that one in 2 weeks and then call to say I want to return within the 30 day home trial window to have a bike for the interim (assuming I get some crazy long delivery date for the new one for them to swap it out.) Seems ludicrous to me, but it's literally what the agents are telling people to do in my situation because you get a full refund within 30 days. :crazy: So definitely not cancelling the old one until I have a firm delivery date for the new.

I'm really really frustrated with how this has gone, but then I also feel really guilty for being so annoyed about this with everything else going on in the world right now. Perspective is everything..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna