• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Peloton or Echelon?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I finally made a decision and took the plunge.. ordered my Peloton yesterday!! The crappy part is that while I continued my debate the delivery window went from 2-4 weeks for my area up to 4-6 weeks. My delivery date right now is September 23rd. Someone one town over from me ordered theirs Friday and the delivery date is September 11. You snooze you lose..

Why did I pick Peloton? In no particular weighted order:

I think I was a little biased to start! Haha I’ve always been semi interested in a Peloton, I just didn’t have enough time to workout at home to justify the purchase. It made more sense to workout midday near my job versus at home because of my long commute. Things have obviously changed a lot now though and seem like they will stay with more of a home focus even after Covid. Regardless, the branding was already in my mind long before I started seriously considering buying one this month.

I came to the conclusion that even if I got another brand bike I still wanted one with the large built in screen. I just do, even though I tried not to let that be a big factor. At that point there isn’t as large of a savings realized for the non-Peloton options. Still a difference for sure, but one I was willing to pay. My ipad is pretty large, but the built in screens are significantly bigger, I really want that immersive experience and feel it’ll keep my attention best in an at home environment. I also get reimbursed for a portion of workout equipment from my company, and it pretty much makes up the difference between brands when looking at the screen inclusive models. This helped sway my decision making a little bit.

I really have enjoyed the Facebook communities this past week, especially the women’s, yoga, and local MA, New England, and ME, NH, VT groups I’ve joined from Peloton. There are so many groups, and some are extremely active! I joined an Echelon group as well, and that community seems wonderful too. The Peloton groups just really called to me and I found myself relating and already participating.

I have more people I know personally with Pelotons than any other brand and this was appealing to be able to get quite a few firsthand perspectives and to also be able to ride “together” in the future potentially. I started doing crowd sourcing on some Zoom calls at work this week too haha and was surprised by how many Pelotoners I found. Along with one Soul Cycler.

It still seems that Peloton is the leader of the pack and I appreciate that, though who knows what the future holds for any of this stuff with so much competition and a shift to at home workout platforms over gyms. I think there is some value in jumping on the bandwagon of an established brand and community.

So, here’s hoping everything goes smoothly! I have seen that some people were able to get their deliveries moved up by a couple of weeks, so I’ll probably start bugging customer service at some point to see if I can get anywhere with that.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Well I finally made a decision and took the plunge.. ordered my Peloton yesterday!! The crappy part is that while I continued my debate the delivery window went from 2-4 weeks for my area up to 4-6 weeks. My delivery date right now is September 23rd. Someone one town over from me ordered theirs Friday and the delivery date is September 11. You snooze you lose..

Why did I pick Peloton? In no particular weighted order:

I think I was a little biased to start! Haha I’ve always been semi interested in a Peloton, I just didn’t have enough time to workout at home to justify the purchase. It made more sense to workout midday near my job versus at home because of my long commute. Things have obviously changed a lot now though and seem like they will stay with more of a home focus even after Covid. Regardless, the branding was already in my mind long before I started seriously considering buying one this month.

I came to the conclusion that even if I got another brand bike I still wanted one with the large built in screen. I just do, even though I tried not to let that be a big factor. At that point there isn’t as large of a savings realized for the non-Peloton options. Still a difference for sure, but one I was willing to pay. My ipad is pretty large, but the built in screens are significantly bigger, I really want that immersive experience and feel it’ll keep my attention best in an at home environment. I also get reimbursed for a portion of workout equipment from my company, and it pretty much makes up the difference between brands when looking at the screen inclusive models. This helped sway my decision making a little bit.

I really have enjoyed the Facebook communities this past week, especially the women’s, yoga, and local MA, New England, and ME, NH, VT groups I’ve joined from Peloton. There are so many groups, and some are extremely active! I joined an Echelon group as well, and that community seems wonderful too. The Peloton groups just really called to me and I found myself relating and already participating.

I have more people I know personally with Pelotons than any other brand and this was appealing to be able to get quite a few firsthand perspectives and to also be able to ride “together” in the future potentially. I started doing crowd sourcing on some Zoom calls at work this week too haha and was surprised by how many Pelotoners I found. Along with one Soul Cycler.

It still seems that Peloton is the leader of the pack and I appreciate that, though who knows what the future holds for any of this stuff with so much competition and a shift to at home workout platforms over gyms. I think there is some value in jumping on the bandwagon of an established brand and community.

So, here’s hoping everything goes smoothly! I have seen that some people were able to get their deliveries moved up by a couple of weeks, so I’ll probably start bugging customer service at some point to see if I can get anywhere with that.

Congrats on your order! I hope you're able to get the delivery moved up! It sounds like you're getting exactly what you wanted all along, which is great.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@MissySki, I was thinking of you this morning while I was riding my Echelon; I was wondering what you were going to do. Congratulations and welcome to the virtual riding community! I know you're going to love it.

Last edited:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm excited for you! I start classes tomorrow and expect my online time to be significantly reduced so don't hesitate to PM me if you have specific questions I can answer as I'll get an email.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Six weeks. :hurt:

I'm so impatient already, and it's only been 3 days! :rotf: This is definitely a character flaw of mine, and Covid has REALLY brought it out because it just seems that so many things that I took for granted (like ordering something in the mail) take way longer now and I really dislike it. First world problems though..

Do you have a space set up for your bike already? It's actually a good thing I have some time to wait because I have been thinking about turning one of my unused bedrooms (that's more utilized as a storage space) into a dedicated Peloton/yoga room, but I have a lot to clean out before that's possible..

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I'm so impatient already, and it's only been 3 days! :rotf: This is definitely a character flaw of mine, and Covid has REALLY brought it out because it just seems that so many things that I took for granted (like ordering something in the mail) take way longer now and I really dislike it. First world problems though..

Do you have a space set up for your bike already? It's actually a good thing I have some time to wait because I have been thinking about turning one of my unused bedrooms (that's more utilized as a storage space) into a dedicated Peloton/yoga room, but I have a lot to clean out before that's possible..

Haha I was actually agonizing so much that my partner just went ahead and ordered it for me... which is probably good because it means I don't have access to things I could obsess over like tracking numbers and statuses. :rotf:

I don't have a spot specifically set up, but I'm pretty sure I know where I want it to go. The TV is in the front living room with a couple big windows, so if I just set it up in there, I can cast classes to the TV pretty easily from my phone. I was considering moving my desk in there instead, but we've had a couple hot days lately, so I've been seeing the benefits of working in a shadier (and cooler) location.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
My bike has been shipped! The tracking number isn't yet in FedEx's system, though, so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get here. Regardless, a three week lead time on shipping is much quicker than I was expecting, and I'm excited to get everything set up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My bike has been shipped! The tracking number isn't yet in FedEx's system, though, so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get here. Regardless, a three week lead time on shipping is much quicker than I was expecting, and I'm excited to get everything set up.

Yay, so exciting!! I was thinking about this earlier today. I've been routinely bugging Peloton to see if mine can get moved up, but no luck yet. Still set for September 23rd, and I still have plenty to clean out of that spare room in the meantime, but darned if I don't want it sooner! lol

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To add one more system to the conversation, my friends who race all use the Zwift platform of trainers and computer integration for their virtual training rides. They all swear by it. I swear by my computer chair! :wink:

MissySki

Angel Diva
My new bike isn't even here yet, and I'm now hearing that there is a new Peloton bike version on the way! There are some cool updates that have been leaked, but no idea on the price yet except it'll be more. The screen is getting 2 inches bigger, it will swivel around backwards, and they are now going to have front facing speakers and a subwoofer. There is also supposed to be more integrated Apple watch capabilities and people have also speculated about a fore aft adjustment to the handlebars. I'm totally like crap should I have waited or should I cancel and wait?? lol I really want it now though, ahead of ski season. So I guess it is what it is unless they come out with a trade in program which some have also been speculating about. The price would also have to be right as I'm not about to drop a ton more and I know you can at least buy an aftermarket adapter for the monitor spin and fore aft adjustment features if desired..

gingerjess

Angel Diva
My new bike isn't even here yet, and I'm now hearing that there is a new Peloton bike version on the way! There are some cool updates that have been leaked, but no idea on the price yet except it'll be more. The screen is getting 2 inches bigger, it will swivel around backwards, and they are now going to have front facing speakers and a subwoofer. There is also supposed to be more integrated Apple watch capabilities and people have also speculated about a fore aft adjustment to the handlebars. I'm totally like crap should I have waited or should I cancel and wait?? lol I really want it now though, ahead of ski season. So I guess it is what it is unless they come out with a trade in program which some have also been speculating about. The price would also have to be right as I'm not about to drop a ton more and I know you can at least buy an aftermarket adapter for the monitor spin and fore aft adjustment features if desired..

That sounds so frustrating! I hate when I make the choice to buy a thing and then find out it's being replaced.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That sounds so frustrating! I hate when I make the choice to buy a thing and then find out it's being replaced.

100% yes! lol And I can't even really ask about any details from Peloton since nothing has even come out as "official" yet.

I'm not sure it's actually being "replaced" exactly though. I believe they are doing both a new tread and bike and will keep both versions to have a cheaper and more expensive version.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
100% yes! lol And I can't even really ask about any details from Peloton since nothing has even come out as "official" yet.

Haha, I totally get that. I used to do tech support for a computer company named after a fruit and would frequently get asked if something new was on its way. Of course I didn't know, and even if I had, I couldn't say!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Haha, I totally get that. I used to do tech support for a computer company named after a fruit and would frequently get asked if something new was on its way. Of course I didn't know, and even if I had, I couldn't say!

People in the forum are saying that there is an investor call next Thursday where more details should be revealed. So perhaps I'll find some stuff out ahead of mine arriving after all, we'll see if it changes my thoughts at that point.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, maybe I'll check out Echelon/Peloton. I wasn't thinking about it because of lack of space, already having another cardio machine and not using it, and already being a subscriber to other online workout programs (not virtual cycling, but still).

Question: for you cyclists who are also virtual cyclists, do you feel your improving on endurance or stamina? Would your gains on virtual cycling carry over into the real world?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, maybe I'll check out Echelon/Peloton. I wasn't thinking about it because of lack of space, already having another cardio machine and not using it, and already being a subscriber to other online workout programs (not virtual cycling, but still).

Question: for you cyclists who are also virtual cyclists, do you feel your improving on endurance or stamina? Would your gains on virtual cycling carry over into the real world?

I would say definitely yes. I used to road bike A LOT, but stopped almost entirely after a bad bike accident a few years ago. As you know, however, different activities call for different things, so even though I worked out a lot, I wouldn't have thought I could resume road biking the way I did before. A few months ago I started using the Echelon bike, and this past week, for the first time this summer, I went out on my road bike. And you know what? I was totally fine. I honestly felt like I had the stamina and strength to ride well. I'm not sure I could have done it if it hadn't been for the Echelon.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Has it arrived yet, or at least a delivery date?? :clap:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna