• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

PCMR Christmas week

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I plan to ski PCMR 12/26 and/or 12/28. Looking at group lessons. What does anyone think about Women’s Ultimate 4 (offered afternoon only) vs all day group? I’m concerned about afternoon conditions being not great. Of course, it’s a bit early to tell, but I want to reserve a lesson before they’re all booked.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A 4:1 instructor ratio is an attractive offer; sounds like a great program.

As for conditions....In the Poconos "not great conditions" means sand dunes of man-made granular pushed around an ice rink riddled with frozen death cookies. I imagine that "bad" conditions in PC are the stuff of Mid-Atlantic dreams.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I plan to ski PCMR 12/26 and/or 12/28. Looking at group lessons. What does anyone think about Women’s Ultimate 4 (offered afternoon only) vs all day group? I’m concerned about afternoon conditions being not great. Of course, it’s a bit early to tell, but I want to reserve a lesson before they’re all booked.
What are you hoping to get out of the lessons? What is you ability level?

There is a saying about conditions . . . something about good conditions or conditions that are "good for you." Meaning that there is a lot to be learned from a good instructor when conditions are less than optimal. During one of the multi-week lessons at Massanutten last season, temperatures were in the 50s even though it was January. We covered techniques that are helpful when the snow is pushed around, potentially a little sticky, or even somewhat slushy.

Personally I prefer half-day lessons, either morning or afternoon. True for group or private lessons. The advantage of afternoon lessons is then you can ski in the mornings when the slopes and lifts tend to be a little less crowded. At least for the first hour or two if you arrive early enough for "first chair."

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
What are you hoping to get out of the lessons? What is you ability level?

There is a saying about conditions . . . something about good conditions or conditions that are "good for you." Meaning that there is a lot to be learned from a good instructor when conditions are less than optimal. During one of the multi-week lessons at Massanutten last season, temperatures were in the 50s even though it was January. We covered techniques that are helpful when the snow is pushed around, potentially a little sticky, or even somewhat slushy.

Personally I prefer half-day lessons, either morning or afternoon. True for group or private lessons. The advantage of afternoon lessons is then you can ski in the mornings when the slopes and lifts tend to be a little less crowded. At least for the first hour or two if you arrive early enough for "first chair."
Good advice, @marzNC re: a lot to be learned from a good instructor when conditions are less than optimal. It’s exactly those conditions you describe where it would be helpful for me to have some instruction. Other than that, it will likely be my first day of the season. Not sure what I hope to get out of it. I am a cautious intermediate.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Other than that, it will likely be my first day of the season. Not sure what I hope to get out of it. I am a cautious intermediate.
Hmm, for a first day skiing I would say warm up in the morning and do Women's Ultimate 4 in the afternoon. If that works well, repeat on the second ski day.

During a holiday week, I would tend to avoid group lessons for intermediates that aren't guaranteed to be small groups. The most experienced instructors are more likely to be doing private lessons or working with advanced skiers.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with the warm-up in the morning strategy. To me at least, that would make the afternoon lesson more productive.

I think ski schools differ on how the allocate instructors? I know that some schools put more experienced/effective instructors with never-evers and beginning skiers. The idea being to get the student to progress quickly, have a positive experience, and come back for more lessons and lift tickets. I would imagine that much like classroom teaching, every instructor has a wheelhouse: an age or ability group that they really enjoy and are effective with. So just because a group is intermediate doesn't mean the instruction is lesser.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Hmm, for a first day skiing I would say warm up in the morning and do Women's Ultimate 4 in the afternoon. If that works well, repeat on the second ski day.

During a holiday week, I would tend to avoid group lessons for intermediates that aren't guaranteed to be small groups. The most experienced instructors are more likely to be doing private lessons or working with advanced skiers.
Good point @marzNC. Thank-you for the advice.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Agree with the warm-up in the morning strategy. To me at least, that would make the afternoon lesson more productive.

I think ski schools differ on how the allocate instructors? I know that some schools put more experienced/effective instructors with never-evers and beginning skiers. The idea being to get the student to progress quickly, have a positive experience, and come back for more lessons and lift tickets. I would imagine that much like classroom teaching, every instructor has a wheelhouse: an age or ability group that they really enjoy and are effective with. So just because a group is intermediate doesn't mean the instruction is lesser.
Thank-you @SallyCat. I appreciate your input.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For sure ski schools differ on how instructors are assigned for group lessons. The situation at a large destination resort like Park City during Christmas is going to be quite different from a place that focuses more on local folks. While I have no doubt there the ski school has plenty of experienced instructors, it's still probably tricky to handle the demand that week.

At Alta the group lessons for adult intermediates are taught by very experienced Level 3 instructors. Can be solo or only 2-3 students for a mid-week lesson. One April my friend had three solo lessons in a row with the same instructor. He'd taught at Solitude for a few decades before moving to Alta about 10 years ago. Even during mid-season, not that many adult take group lessons mid-week.

At Taos last Feb, there must have been 15 instructors at the line up for the Mon morning group lesson. Many were very experienced L3 instructors. One of them was a schoolmate of mine who is an Examiner. I think there were only 4-5 students that morning. My ski buddy and I had no problem having an instructor to ourselves. At other times during the week I saw intermediates starting off solo lessons.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Good advice, @marzNC re: a lot to be learned from a good instructor when conditions are less than optimal. It’s exactly those conditions you describe where it would be helpful for me to have some instruction. Other than that, it will likely be my first day of the season. Not sure what I hope to get out of it. I am a cautious intermediate.
I had a wonderful lesson with a Level 3 instructor at Stowe two years ago, the day after a major rainstorm with an overnight freeze. I spent the morning with him, learning how to deal with boilerplate. It was very valuable!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna