• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Paying to park in the East

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I figured this was coming. Vail is expanding its paid parking system at Mount Snow next season. I know paying to park for skiing is fairly common in the West, but not in the East. My guess is it's only a matter of time til this ripples through their other Eastern resorts, too.

Here's the email they sent out about it:

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 7.13.11 PM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yuck.. Doesn’t affect me in general since it’s rare that I ski at Epic resorts, but yeah definitely yuck.

Jilly

Staff member
We've had paid parking for awhile at Tremblant. Why most people I know park on the North side where it's still free.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not in WA it's not! But it's been creeping up, with a couple places charging for a primo lot, or making it part of a pass...

We do also have two lots with the front few rows reserved for those with a pass. That’s not a big deal to me though since there’s a choice and you can still park very close to that area.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not just new in the northeast. Alta is going to have some paid parking for busy days, meaning weekends for sure.

Tvan

Angel Diva
We paid to park at Whiteface.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Stowe has some paid parking at Spruce. Was that true before Stowe was bought by Vail Resorts? The big lots at Stowe are all free.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Stratton has "permit parking" but not sure exactly where the lot is located. There seem to be a limited number of permits sold.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hunter has a smallish paid lot. Closest to the lodge, of course.

newboots

Angel Diva
Is everything getting more expensive faster than it used to? (Or just skiing?)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a hard NO from me. Buying a pass is a serious budget item; if I have to pay to park, that would be a dealbreaker. We have lots of options here* for local skiing at modest prices. I'd be just as happy skiing at smaller areas than paying for parking (on top of everything else) to ski at a larger resort. Especially for East Coast skiing. Ice is ice, and when conditions are poor, they are poor everywhere. No amount of money is going to buy you reliable snow in New England. There's a point of diminishing returns with the expense of skiing here; I'm sure that point varies for everyone depending on their situation, but it's still there.

*Central Vermont/ Upper Valley VT/NH

Peppermint

Angel Diva
It's making me reconsider buying the Epic local pass. Bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I will look into Icon instead and get to ski new places.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of you here follow The Storm Skiing Journal? It's very good. It's a podcast, but you can also subscribe to the newsletter,. Anyway, the latest issue featured their "rewrite" of Vail's new parking policy at Mount Snow so it didn’t sound like a 1950s trust-me-this-is-good-for-you TV dad whooping his kid’s behind with a leather belt:

Look, we all know this place is a mess. Skiing here on weekends is like jumping out of the back of a jumbo jet with a team of confused paratroopers who all decide to go at once. There’s no way it can work. And now that we’ve lowered Epic Passes below the price of a meal deal at Burger King, it’s only going to get worse. So we need another way to control crowds. Paying for parking is a good way of doing that. We know you are going to hate this decision. That’s why we are setting aside two parking lots in New Hampshire for your free daily use. We know it’s a long way away, but it will be worth it to have The Experience of a Lifetime. We promise.

Better? I think so.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do any of you here follow The Storm Skiing Journal? It's very good. It's a podcast, but you can also subscribe to the newsletter,. Anyway, the latest issue featured their "rewrite" of Vail's new parking policy at Mount Snow so it didn’t sound like a 1950s trust-me-this-is-good-for-you TV dad whooping his kid’s behind with a leather belt:

Look, we all know this place is a mess. Skiing here on weekends is like jumping out of the back of a jumbo jet with a team of confused paratroopers who all decide to go at once. There’s no way it can work. And now that we’ve lowered Epic Passes below the price of a meal deal at Burger King, it’s only going to get worse. So we need another way to control crowds. Paying for parking is a good way of doing that. We know you are going to hate this decision. That’s why we are setting aside two parking lots in New Hampshire for your free daily use. We know it’s a long way away, but it will be worth it to have The Experience of a Lifetime. We promise.

Better? I think so.

Vast improvement!!!! :clap::clap:

Christy

Angel Diva
Gotta love Magic Mountain. Here's their tweet:

View attachment 15934

That's really sweet parking. Perhaps because most of the places I've skied most--Crystal Mt, Stevens Pass and Whistler--have such a trek to get from the parking lot to base/lifts, I think that parking close to a base lodge or lift is an amazing and wonderful luxury. (And I say this as a city person that parks on the street and walks to most errands--but not in ski boots!).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna