• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Patagonia

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a mad-keen photographer, and it was a calendar of Patagonia I had nearly 30 years ago that made me pick up a camera for the first time. A couple of years ago I fulfilled a lifetime's ambition getting there, photographing it and creating my own calendar. Here's a selection of images from a very different pre-Covid world where we could get places and do stuff. Right now I *should* be in the Galapagos and Atacama desert but that's not going to happen for another couple of years, hey.

Attachments

• patagoinia 5.jpg
    patagoinia 5.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 32
  • patagoinia 6.jpg
    patagoinia 6.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 35
  • patagonia 1.jpg
    patagonia 1.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 35
  • patagonia 2.jpg
    patagonia 2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 33
  • patagonia 3.jpg
    patagonia 3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 32
  • patagonia 4.jpg
    patagonia 4.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 31

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes! Stunning! Is everything in Patagonia so amazing-looking that one can’t take a bad photograph, or are you a superb photographer?

Just kidding. Superb!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Gorgeous! I absolutely love a good sun flare. And those alpacas!

As a complete amateur hobbyist photographer myself, I’m always curious on what photographers take when they travel...I’m a lightweight packer, and always have trouble figuring out what to bring for gear, and how to carry/organize it.

Any tips? What are you using for cameras these days? Lenses to travel? Camera bag or regular bag with padded squares?

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gorgeous! I absolutely love a good sun flare. And those alpacas!

As a complete amateur hobbyist photographer myself, I’m always curious on what photographers take when they travel...I’m a lightweight packer, and always have trouble figuring out what to bring for gear, and how to carry/organize it.

Any tips? What are you using for cameras these days? Lenses to travel? Camera bag or regular bag with padded squares?

For this trip I had lenses that covered my from 16mm to 400mm over two zooms and a prime (16-35 f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 100-400mm f5.6-6.4). I took one main body and a backup which stayed in my suitcase,plus a sturdy tripod and various ND filters for long exposures. All fits into one not huge backpack. After the trip I sold the 100-400 as I don't do much bird photography and I use my beloved 70-200mm for pretty much everything.

These were all done on a Canon 6dii full frame. I've since upgraded to the awesome R5 but that means also having to upgrade the lenses to the RF system though the adapter works well in the meantime.

The sun flares happen really naturally at around f11, no assistance from Adobe at all there.

And I was calling those things llama, apparently they're not - they're guanacos. So I just called them guacamole llamas as I'd never heard of a guanaco before.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm an amateur photog too. NikonD3300 body. 18-55 std, 55-300 and I inherited a 28-80 lens from a friend. Haven't used it yet. I like action and sunsets....so totally different. Earned my pictures with B&W at high school...developing in the dark room and everything ending up in the yearbook.

So, I'm loving the digital age!!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an amateur photog too. NikonD3300 body. 18-55 std, 55-300 and I inherited a 28-80 lens from a friend. Haven't used it yet. I like action and sunsets....so totally different. Earned my pictures with B&W at high school...developing in the dark room and everything ending up in the yearbook.

So, I'm loving the digital age!!

Hahaha yeah. I learned in a darkroom too. One thing they don't tell you is that should you get developing fluid in your mouth you will end up with very bad diarrhea. I know from experience.

Adore Photoshop, I actually do more portrait than anything, but art-portrait rather than straight portrait.I had this one published in an international magazine recently, took about 4 hours in Photoshop and a couple of actions that I wrote to render it:

Attachments

• sarra light.jpg
    sarra light.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 16

elemmac

Angel Diva
For this trip I had lenses that covered my from 16mm to 400mm over two zooms and a prime (16-35 f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 100-400mm f5.6-6.4). I took one main body and a backup which stayed in my suitcase,plus a sturdy tripod and various ND filters for long exposures. All fits into one not huge backpack. After the trip I sold the 100-400 as I don't do much bird photography and I use my beloved 70-200mm for pretty much everything.

These were all done on a Canon 6dii full frame. I've since upgraded to the awesome R5 but that means also having to upgrade the lenses to the RF system though the adapter works well in the meantime.

The sun flares happen really naturally at around f11, no assistance from Adobe at all there.

And I was calling those things llama, apparently they're not - they're guanacos. So I just called them guacamole llamas as I'd never heard of a guanaco before.

Guacamole llamas :rotf: Love it!

I’m currently using a Nikon Z6, and in the same boat as you, either upgrading lenses or using an adaptor. Although, I moved from a cropped sensor to full frame, so while my old lenses will work...its really not ideal by any means. Currently trying to figure out what my next move is or if I should hold off and wait for Nikon to release a few more Z mount lenses, so I love asking what people favorite lenses are to travel with. Currently working with a 14-30mm f/4 and a 24-70mm f/4...versatility for travel is huge for me.

I mostly photograph landscape/nature and well...my dog haha.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooo the Z6 is an fantastic bit of kit. Can you use a crop-specific lens on it no issues? With Canon the EFS series (crop sensor) usually can't be used on EF camera as you get chronic vignetting and in some models the rear lens element touches the mirror. The only issue I've seem some people talk about is the adapter can lose a bit of speed in autofocus - but that's not too much of an issue with landscapes as I've not yet seen a mountain get up and run away.

I heard a saying once - you date the body but marry the lens - yep. Quality lenses are the biggest investment, but luckily also the longest lasting.

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Can you use a crop-specific lens on it no issues?

You can, the Z6 has a setting to switch the camera to a cropped mode and it will basically “crop-out” the vignetting for you. I only briefly tried it, and want to play with it more to see how much I’m really losing. The biggest thing is the autofocus does get slower, and doesn’t work on all lenses. And you have to use the adapter, which is just another piece to carry. Then I feel like when I use those lenses, I’m not really getting what I paid for with the FF body. Definitely need to play with it more.

I didn’t have a massive kit before, so it’s not a huge loss. Plus my husband is starting to dabble a bit with photography, and he has a Nikon cropped sensor, so he can use them.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm super jealous :becky: that camera isn't in my budget AT ALL in the foreseeable future but it hasn't stopped me lusting after it since it came out. I'm running a Canon quiver and it sounds like it works pretty well with the existing RF lenses with an adapter.

Also, really beautiful photos!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm super jealous :becky: that camera isn't in my budget AT ALL in the foreseeable future but it hasn't stopped me lusting after it since it came out. I'm running a Canon quiver and it sounds like it works pretty well with the existing RF lenses with an adapter.

Also, really beautiful photos!

It's a beauty. Wasn't sure whether I'd get on with the new format for dials etc - the reason I've been with Canon for so many years is that essentially the layout hasn't changed since my first proper one - an EOS5 (not a 5D, back in the days of film). But the multifuction button is actually very easy to get used to. The only issue I have is that I don't find the viewfinder stable when you're doing fast pans because LCD - but I don't know whether that's a function of it being mirrorless and they all do it.

I picked it up on 5 years interest free from Harvey Norman and the repayments are pretty reasonable. Just very pleased the the adapter works fine because fast RF lenses are kind of special in their price point.

And thanks! Last time I was in NZ I elected not to take my camera, and that was a mistake. It's coming with me this year!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a beauty. Wasn't sure whether I'd get on with the new format for dials etc - the reason I've been with Canon for so many years is that essentially the layout hasn't changed since my first proper one - an EOS5 (not a 5D, back in the days of film). But the multifuction button is actually very easy to get used to. The only issue I have is that I don't find the viewfinder stable when you're doing fast pans because LCD - but I don't know whether that's a function of it being mirrorless and they all do it.

I picked it up on 5 years interest free from Harvey Norman and the repayments are pretty reasonable. Just very pleased the the adapter works fine because fast RF lenses are kind of special in their price point.

And thanks! Last time I was in NZ I elected not to take my camera, and that was a mistake. It's coming with me this year!
Oh, that's a great idea actually, I wouldn't have thought of doing that! Handy that Harvey Norman does that long term interest free repayment plan, I see they do that here too, maybe something I can consider after getting through some big ticket items in the next year.....

Yeah, I've been a little uncertain about how the viewfinder would be in the mirrorless cameras as well, I'm so used to the optical DSLR viewfinder and I do quite a bit of bird photography so a lot of moving the camera around to track subjects, but people do seem to manage ok!

Do you find the AF on your lenses is as fast or faster with the adapter+R5 as it was on your 6DII? I definitely find that one of the other things stopping me from wanting to change systems is that it's hard to find well priced lenses to replace the ones I have. Especially my sigma 150-600. I got it half price and it's my most used lens :P but if I can adapt my lenses, that's all the problems largely solved :smile: not that I should be trying to justify upgrading my camera bodies.... haha

Absolutely worth bringing your camera to NZ especially if if you're doing any driving around the south island at all! Already looking forward to seeing what photos you take when you visit later this year :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly