• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Patagonia

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The autofocus is blistering! I honestly can't see any difference between the native RF and the EF with adaptor (I'm sure there's a geek page somewhere, where they show a 0.002% drop in something-or-other, but for my useage it's great).

Have you seen the animal-eye-AF? There's some black magic and witchcraft in there which means it's able to lock on to both animal and human eyes and track them.

The only thing I might be wary of is using an adaptor and the Sigma 'cause that's one beast of a lens! I used to have one and it weighs a ton! I'd be windy about suspending the weight off the front. There are a couple of RF primes in the 600-800mm range which are pretty cheap relatively speaking; the downside is f11, but with in body stabilisation plus lens stabilisation it's apparently not bad.

If you're a birder here's a couple of Caracara on a stick. First time we saw them we were all "ooooohhhh, what are they? *clickclickclickclick*". After a few days we realised they're kind of South American bin chickens and are everywhere.

Attachments

• caracara.jpg
    caracara.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 19

newboots

Angel Diva
Seriously, a magnificent photo of completely new (to US divas) birds! Look for the Any Birders thread, and also Photo of the Day; you’re in good company here!

yecatstrip

Certified Ski Diva
GAH, Patagonia is definitely high up on the bucket list. DH is a landscape photographer and this is literal gold for him (as well as New Zealand - which is #1 on the bucket list).

What month did you go, or would you recommend?

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GAH, Patagonia is definitely high up on the bucket list. DH is a landscape photographer and this is literal gold for him (as well as New Zealand - which is #1 on the bucket list).

What month did you go, or would you recommend?
I went in April as we were catching the autumn leaves, it was pretty cold even then - I was full on wearing ski gear a few times, pants and jacket several days!

To make the most of it I really recommend you go with a fully-led photo tour; many of the spectacular areas are off the beaten track a bit, and we went back to the same place several days in a row to get the right weather. I went with World Photo Adventures, and was so impressed with them that I'm booked on to a month-long Galapagos - Amazon - Atacama trip in November 2023!

If your hubby is on Insta I'm tabradders, would love to see some of his landscapes :thumbsup:

yecatstrip

Certified Ski Diva
I went in April as we were catching the autumn leaves, it was pretty cold even then - I was full on wearing ski gear a few times, pants and jacket several days!

To make the most of it I really recommend you go with a fully-led photo tour; many of the spectacular areas are off the beaten track a bit, and we went back to the same place several days in a row to get the right weather. I went with World Photo Adventures, and was so impressed with them that I'm booked on to a month-long Galapagos - Amazon - Atacama trip in November 2023!

If your hubby is on Insta I'm tabradders, would love to see some of his landscapes :thumbsup:

That sounds like pure bliss! We'll have to look that company up. He'll be especially keen on the astrophotography down there.

Oh he's rubbish at posting anything on his IG, but he's @matthewtriplow - he has a few gems on there when he manages to actually post something LOL Our travel IG is @triplowstravel

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like pure bliss! We'll have to look that company up. He'll be especially keen on the astrophotography down there.

Oh he's rubbish at posting anything on his IG, but he's @matthewtriplow - he has a few gems on there when he manages to actually post something LOL Our travel IG is @triplowstravel
I love astro (don't do as much as I'd like though). I dragged my start tracker to Patagonia thinking I'd get some awesome night shots and it was just soooo cloudy. I got this one locally - statue is apparently a mangrove seed but everyone refers to it as The Big Metal Squid, had to piece together 70-odd photos manually as they sky was too light for Lightroom to do it for me (and taking astro with a 50mm lens is always going to be good fun, but it's f1.4 and sharp as a razor so I prefer it over the wider ones). Hoping Atacama will give me some extra opportunities!

I'll look you guys up!

Edit - just have, you've both got some AWESOME stuff!

1643153098162.png

yecatstrip

Certified Ski Diva
I love astro (don't do as much as I'd like though). I dragged my start tracker to Patagonia thinking I'd get some awesome night shots and it was just soooo cloudy. I got this one locally - statue is apparently a mangrove seed but everyone refers to it as The Big Metal Squid, had to piece together 70-odd photos manually as they sky was too light for Lightroom to do it for me (and taking astro with a 50mm lens is always going to be good fun, but it's f1.4 and sharp as a razor so I prefer it over the wider ones). Hoping Atacama will give me some extra opportunities!

I'll look you guys up!

Edit - just have, you've both got some AWESOME stuff!

View attachment 17689

Beautiful work!

Astrophotography is definitely so fun especially when you can see it with the naked eye. But capturing it on camera is a whole different animal! I bet you'll get some incredible images on your Atacama trip - I'm sure that will have no light pollution in sight! That's the problem with a lot of the "dark sky" places over here, there will still be some light pollution which is so unfortunate.

DH has tried to shoot astro back home in England, but alas the clouds have spoilt his chances LOL I do wish he actually uploaded more of his photography and timelapse work. They're just sitting on his hard drive waiting to be loved again one day :laughter:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Beautiful work!

Astrophotography is definitely so fun especially when you can see it with the naked eye. But capturing it on camera is a whole different animal! I bet you'll get some incredible images on your Atacama trip - I'm sure that will have no light pollution in sight! That's the problem with a lot of the "dark sky" places over here, there will still be some light pollution which is so unfortunate.

DH has tried to shoot astro back home in England, but alas the clouds have spoilt his chances LOL I do wish he actually uploaded more of his photography and timelapse work. They're just sitting on his hard drive waiting to be loved again one day :laughter:
There's an awesome Australian astro bloke called David Magro - I attend his workshops whenever there's one locally. He takes photos in areas of light pollution, even the middle of Sydney, and with a bit of processing it's amazing what detail he can draw out of them. I keep meaning to have a crack with a violet filter to knock out the orange lights but currently can't justify paying $300 for one.

A couple of years ago I went to North Korea (yeah, my holiday locations tend towards the off-centre) and figured I'd get some awesome shots as there's literally no street lights in much of the country. Turns out there's a fair number of coal-fuelled power stations though and the air quality is kind of chewy so that didn't work out fantastically.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna