• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Patagonia: Ultralight vs down sweater vs nanopuff

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I already have a Nanopuff which I like. It's great because it's very thin and light and makes a great layer under a shell.
But I think I want a layer that is maybe a little warmer to have as an option for colder days. I'm trying to decide between the regular Patagonia Down Sweater and their Ultralight Down Jacket. The Ultralight is a lot thinner, which I like. Both of these say they use 800 fill down, so it seems the filling is the same. Am I correct in thinking they are both going to be equally warm, just that the Ultralight is thinner??
Anyone know how they may compare?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'll be interested to see what replies come up on this as well, re: Patagonia. I too have the nano puff jacket - and like it as a moderate weather mid-layer. For colder, I have the Lands' End down sweater equivalent of Patagonia's (perhaps a "cheap imitation," but not a half bad one, considering its price)(no longer sold) - but got an Eddie Bauer 800 down last year that might well qualify in the category of Ultralight?? (it is light - seller calls it "Down Light") It seems....thinner, but it's darn warm. (I think the Lands End is 700??>forgot) You'd basically be dealing with ever so slightly less bulk, so I guess it would boil down to how sleek you want it to look - not sure. Either way, get one or the other for out here - for all the raw, damp type of cold we get.

I'll also add that I have never overheated in either of these down sweater-type jackets. They do breathe. I wind up wearing one of these 3 most of the season, as mid-layer.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I think I got an answer to my question----I dropped by the Patagonia store today before going to Warren Miller and talked to the sales person. She said the regular down sweater would be warmer than the Ultralight. The Ultralight would be slightly warmer than the Nanopuff, but not by a lot. So it seems, that if I want a whole step up in warmth, I should get the Down Sweater.
The Ultralight is also a slightly slimmer fit (which I would agree with after trying on) than the Down Sweater.

I just wonder if the Down Sweater will seem too poofy under my shell . . . . granted as down goes, it's still pretty thin.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I just wonder if the Down Sweater will seem too poofy under my shell . . . . granted as down goes, it's still pretty thin.
Best to try one on under the actual jacket that it will go beneath. Frankly, when it's cold enough to don a down anything, poof is kinda secondary? At least it is here. I can get by with a shell, no matter how heavily layered, less than a month per season up here. Not THAT far from you!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best to try one on under the actual jacket that it will go beneath. Frankly, when it's cold enough to don a down anything, poof is kinda secondary? At least it is here. I can get by with a shell, no matter how heavily layered, less than a month per season up here. Not THAT far from you!

Yes, this is true. If it's cold enough to go for the down sweater, I probably won't care if it looks or feels poofy.
I think there is enough room under the shell to accommodate the down sweater.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a girls' size large down sweater and I don't find it to be all that poofy under my shell.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Frankly, when it's cold enough to don a down anything, poof is kinda secondary?

This is true. I have a Patagonia down sweater in size small for the coldest days and while it does make me feel a bit...puffier...when I break that baby out it's cold enough that puffy doesn't matter and I'm just glad to have the warmth. It's amazing how warm that thing is. I also have a nano puff vest for colder-but-not-frigid-enough-for-down-sweater days.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
There are those who may disagree with me on this, but I have not had an overheat problem with down sweaters. As mentioned above, they are my truly-cold weather layers. We very often have days here, especially in January, when it barely rises up to low single digits for a high temp. I refuse to not ski just because it's 0F!!! But I do have a low-end limit of around -10.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are those who may disagree with me on this, but I have not had an overheat problem with down sweaters. As mentioned above, they are my truly-cold weather layers. We very often have days here, especially in January, when it barely rises up to low single digits for a high temp. I refuse to not ski just because it's 0F!!! But I do have a low-end limit of around -10.

I also had no problems with overheating with down even when it is 25f. But i am cold natured

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in the ski shop yesterday and came across a North Face jacket that I thought quite nifty. I am not the worlds biggest North Face fan but I really liked the softshell exterior fabric ( similiar to the patagonia hoodini or nine trails fabric ) and the wicking inside liner for a layering piece. It was a sythetic insulation about the same weight as my down sweater. I got sidetracked and didn't see what model it was but I might have to go back and get it.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I have several down Patagucci sweaters and really love them. I usually wear one every day and prefer it and a shell to an insulated parka. I find that I can be more comfortable adjusting to drafty lodges by having the option to keep a layer on indoors. I usually find the boys' XXL fits really nicely -- it is a bit longer than the women's version, which works well for m.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have several down Patagucci sweaters and really love them. I usually wear one every day and prefer it and a shell to an insulated parka. I find that I can be more comfortable adjusting to drafty lodges by having the option to keep a layer on indoors. I usually find the boys' XXL fits really nicely -- it is a bit longer than the women's version, which works well for m.

I love that you call it Patagucci. :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
OK, so I am probably going to sound ignorant here, chalk it up to skiing primarily in CA for a long time now. I used to use my down jacket, recently worn out, when I travelled to colder climates. What are the advantages to purchasing a down mid layer over a down jacket?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so I am probably going to sound ignorant here, chalk it up to skiing primarily in CA for a long time now. I used to use my down jacket, recently worn out, when I travelled to colder climates. What are the advantages to purchasing a down mid layer over a down jacket?

The true East-Coasters will respond with more experience in the colder climes, however as a Westerner like yourself, I have found that a light down layer under a shell (windproof/waterproof) provides a very necessary addition of warmth required when wearing a shell jacket. I own mostly insulated jackets, but have a couple of shells that have been beneficial for windier days (think Mammoth!) when the weather is unpredictable. The lighter mid-weight down layer or" NanoPuff " (not made with down; from Patagonia) are super versatile and light and thin enough to wear under anything! Even an insulated jacket for really cold days. The reason for a nice thin down mid-layer is it's effectiveness.
They breathe, insulate, and add another layer for trapping the warmer air between layers. And in the Spring you can wear the light down over a light base-shirt and be perfectly comfortable with the bonus of some wind protection!

mustski

Angel Diva
I may be weird this way, but I like less layers. I already have more jackets than I need ... which won't stop me from buying another one :bounce:. What I am wondering is ... would a down jacket allow me to wear less layers? I usually ski in a t-shirt and insulated jacket. If it's "Mammoth cold" I add one base layer. On a cold day in Utah, I add a thin sweater to the mix and I'm good. I guess I'm wondering if a down jacket would allow me to "lose" a layer on a cold day in Utah. I just don't like multiple layers.

Jilly

Staff member
Back in the 80's/90's.....I had numerous down jackets, Ditrani was one make. Yes they were light in weight, but really too warm. You didn't need base layer even. T-neck and jacket most of the time. And they didn't breathe as our fabrics do now.

I have the Eddie Bauer down sweater - First Ascent. It's great as an insulating layer at Tremblant when its -20C or and even warmer. At that temp I use 4 total layers...base, T-neck, down and then insulated jacket. I don't feel that I can't move either.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mustski, I bought a down sweater from The North Face two years ago. I wore it as a midlayer the first year at Mammoth when it was in the 20's and roasted, then tried it again last year when it was in the teens and roasted. I wore it with a base layer and shell. I just got too hot when I was either walking to the lift, or poling, skating, whatever, and it didn't breathe enough to let the heat escape. Then it was SO warm I just turned into a sweaty mess. I DO love wearing it around on cooler days around here, though!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, in general I like fewer layers too. But for me the advantage of a down mid layer over a down jacket is that if it starts out really cold and then warms up, I can take off the down layer and not have to wear it all day.
That being said, I was in the LL Bean store today and tried on a down stuffed ski jacket which I really liked. If I had unlimited space to store things, I'd probably end up with with something like that too.

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks for the advice ladies. I rarely need to consider cold weather wear, I was just debating which route to go for cold weather trips. I'm hoping to hit Jackson Hole one of these days! To OP, sorry for the thread jack ... :focus:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What are the advantages to purchasing a down mid layer over a down jacket?
I have never done down over down! Like Jilly, my regulation jacket is insulated (100 gm) synthetic - what varies for me is what I wear beneath it. My philosophy is that it can always come off, but if I don’t have it in the first place, and I get cold....day won’t be nice.

An almost unfair comparison between here, one of the colder places I’ve skied (Minnesota tops it, low-temp-wise), versus western climates. Ocean affects our snow (even here), so always more humid, snow always heavier than even VT - and this particular location is the 2nd highest in the state, totally exposed. Can You Say Wind.

I’ll guess-timate that we have similar conditions to far west/CA for about a month - in April. Which is about the only time I can even consider a hard (non-insulated) shell over whatever else.

We even have different “levels” of face protection, based on temps, in our “arsenal” of gear. Moderately cold>seriously cold. I don’t even eliminate glove liners until April.

Back to OP, I think the Ultralight would be a decent investment. I have similar, not Patagonia (like Jilly, First Ascent Down Light EB 800), very pleased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna