• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Patagonia Piolet or Triolet Jackets for Skiing?

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas!

Does anyone use the Patagonia Piolet or Triolet jacket for skiing? What do you think?

I am in the market for a Gore-Tex Shell, as I have been burning up this unseasonably warm season with my insulated jacket but simultaneously soaked by the end of the day due to rain a lower levels. The Piolet has great price point and I'm obsessed with the Tidal Teal color BUT neither of these jackets comes with a powder skirt. Do you guys think this is a big deal? Will I *miss* a powder skirt once I don't have one? DH seems to think I'll be fine as long as I "don't fall" and wear my bibs instead of regular ski pants.

Also, can anyone speak to the differences between Patagonia's 2-layer and 3-layer Gore-tex?

Any advice appreciated!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have the powder bowl and love it.
Here is the primary difference between all 2- and 3- layer Gortex, not just the Patagonia. 2-layer always has a separate lining, usually some sort of taffeta/mesh/wicking combination to protect the inside of the Goretex. 3-layer has a protective membrane on the inside so the clothing item will not have a separate lining. You find 3-layer items more in "technical" ( climbing, mountaineering styles) clothing, and the two layer more in traditional type ski wear. With the 2-layer lined coats, they can add a lot more internal pockets than they do to a 3-layer garment.

This link here gives a more detailed description of the two.
https://specialtyoutdoors.com/demystifying-waterproof-breathable-fabrics/

altagirl

Staff member
My newest jacket does have a powder skirt, but I never actually use it (button it), so it's basically just an extra annoyance to me. And I ski powder whenever it's available. :smile:

But yeah, I think it depends on how often you crash and how loose the jacket is. If the bottom of the jacket was super loose, maybe it would make more of a difference. Mine generally just skims over my hips, so as long as I tuck my shirt into my pants, that's enough to keep out any breeze, and I can't remember the last time I got snow up my back (knock on wood).

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I vote yes on the piolet an alpine shell will give you more mileage than a ski shell will in the long run has more uses. Given it's a shell you will likely have layers on underneath and a powderskirt over layers I personally find annoying. More comfortable in my book to go without.

Mountain Mouse

Diva in Training
Hi! This question prompted my first post. :smile: I found The Ski Diva when I started the process of researching new skis, and have quietly been reading forums posts since. However I LOVE my Triolet so much that I knew it was time to create an account, speak up and contribute to this community!

I ski in Tahoe, so can completely identify with you and it was the exact same situation that prompted my purchase- a warm, rain/snow winter. It is the most waterproof jacket I have ever owned. It is super durable, so I never feel nervous about my edges when slinging my skis up over my shoulder. The pit zips offer relief from these 45 degree days. The hood fits over my helmet. The fit is clean, feminine and slim. It is super light, and will be my year round rain jacket for trekking. And most importantly- it breathes like a dream! I was the ONLY one to stay dry during a recent rain/snow day at Squaw. I can't speak to the powder skirt... because well, as you know we have not had any. :smile:

It's definitely an investment, but one I am so happy with. I got 30% off at Alpenglow in Tahoe City. LOVE those people and that store.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I have the powder bowl insulated jacket, and after 20 days of skiing the zipper broke on the breast pocket.

That was just last week, and I've not gotten to writing customer service yet...but I was pretty bummed. For the rest, a great warm jacket without being too warm...

just gutted about the zipper on the breast pocket though.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@HeidiInTheAlps , they're a good company and I'm sure they'd help you out. I understand how you feel, if you're really fond of the jacket.

altagirl

Staff member
@HeidiInTheAlps , they're a good company and I'm sure they'd help you out. I understand how you feel, if you're really fond of the jacket.

Definitely.

I was in there buying a new "Guide" jacket (too lightweight for skiing, but great for hiking/dog walking/camping/etc.) in a bright green color and mentioned that I have one already that's probably 10 years old and the velcro tabs on the sleeves are falling apart. Clearly it's been quite well used over the years, so it was totally understandable wear and tear and it shows how much that I've loved that jacket by all the use, so it was time for a new one.

The salesperson was like WHAT? Just bring it in and we'll fix that for you and you don't need to buy a new one!

Haha, and I said, oh stop... then I wouldn't have an excuse to own a green one too!

But YES, I am totally sure they will fix that for you, Heidi!

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll get on that this weekend, after 3 soccer matches Saturday.

Looks like we may make go to Florida for Spring Break. DH was a bit bent out of shape that we had such a great holiday, and he hadn't any holidays, and he isn't a skier, so we'll do something he likes doing (Kennedy Space Center) and perhaps some scuba diving, and sort my Patagonia jacket on the way...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
That's one reason why Patagonia is a top notch (top dollar ) company. They really stand behind their product.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I have a Triolet that I use for ice climbing and an insulated Snowbelle for skiing. It doesn't precipitate enough here that I've found the H2NO on the Snowbelle to be inadequate when skiing, but the Gore-Tex Triolet has been KEY for dripping ice climbs. Sheds moisture like a dream, helmet compatible hood, slim, trim fit, still accommodates layers without you looking like the Michelin Man. If I were to ski in it, I wouldn't mind the lack of powder skirt. I actually hate powder skirts. I'm well endowed in the hips/derrière and the powder skirts never stay down, it always ends up around my belly button. There are loops on my pants to attach it to, but I never use them because I have a long torso and they don't quite fit. Also, I worry that I'll have to pee really bad and not be able to get those damn loops undo!!!!

But the Triolet is an awesome, versatile jacket and worth the investment. And as pointed out, Patagonia is awesome in how they stand by their products, so consider it a long term investment :-)

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question--are the Triolet and Piolet two layer or three layer?

My main piece of ski clothing is my Snowbelle shell. I think I've snapped the powder skirt two or three times over the three years I've had it, the only reason being to do everything possible to deal with biting cold and wind during storms. I do remember that the skirt didn't climb up my waist, although the half dozen layers I would have had on may have had something to with that.

The jacket's very snug over my hips, so I'm another one who typically needs no help keeping snow from going up my back. I also love the soft fabric, which is as waterproof as anything I've owned but feels like a fine gaberdine. It has a mesh liner, so I'm guessing it's two layer.

But I also think it's not gore-tex, but their H2NO waterproofing. Good stuff though, great technical design, and there's hardly any wear on it despite how hard I am on my clothes and gear.

vhf

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Triolet and love it. I love having the ability to adjust layers and feel like I'm always the perfect temperature with it on. I also love the hood, pockets, pit zips, and how it is super waterproof. It's also a slightly longer style jacket (at least mine from a couple of years ago is), which I find nice. You can pull in the drawstring and push it up or let it stay longer. I've been really happy with this purchase!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I tried on the Triolet at a Patagonia outfit last week and thought it would be fantastic as a shell. Didn't buy it because I really didn't need it, but I sure would have if I did.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Question--are the Triolet and Piolet two layer or three layer?

My main piece of ski clothing is my Snowbelle shell. I think I've snapped the powder skirt two or three times over the three years I've had it, the only reason being to do everything possible to deal with biting cold and wind during storms. I do remember that the skirt didn't climb up my waist, although the half dozen layers I would have had on may have had something to with that.

The jacket's very snug over my hips, so I'm another one who typically needs no help keeping snow from going up my back. I also love the soft fabric, which is as waterproof as anything I've owned but feels like a fine gaberdine. It has a mesh liner, so I'm guessing it's two layer.

But I also think it's not gore-tex, but their H2NO waterproofing. Good stuff though, great technical design, and there's hardly any wear on it despite how hard I am on my clothes and gear.

H2NO is the proprietary waterproof breathable class of fabrics that Patagonia has developed, not a waterproofing.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you ladies for all of your responses! You (unknowingly perhaps) helped me pick out my first ski purchase, and now the all-important Gore-Tex purchase :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna